Hinge Problems

I wanted to chime in after listening to episode 69 that I could not more vehemently disagree with it because it feels like saying independent movies aren’t movies because they’re not marvel movies. Just because something isn’t popular in the mainstream doesn’t mean we have to devalue our own perspectives and experience, because that feels dangerously close to ceding that whether or not I have value as a person is tied to how much money I can make someone by consuming content?

I say this as a sort of person who is in an undesirable marketing category (Childless autistic transgender lesbianish woman in her 30s), who has been deeply interested in mediums that have no commercial relevance far longer than I have been publicly unmarketable as a person (tabletop roleplaying games, adventure games) that it inspires me to be more visible, and push back harder, because I don’t think mainstream culture should not be allowed to define things in the absolute.

I uh, hope this doesn’t come across as too angry, but I think there is definitely a way to look at this issue as something other than being an obsolete human?

(Again, I hope this doesn’t seem too angry, I just really wanted to respond to this episode after hearing it)

3 Likes

Thanks for this! It will uhh take me a long time to think of a correct response to my argument so I can only give you the short flippant answer which is It was a dumb thought in my brain that I have worked out made sense and have not considered a serious response to.

The other side of this is that Chris and I are Always looking at video games as a cultural business. We like STGs which are not good business a niche product with a max audience of 20k. So our podcast might of had some possibilty in 2010 but now in 2020 we are so far removed from the cultural pulse and the speed of it that we gotta change our tactics if we wanted “success”.

Which well we’ll continue to make episodes on a monthly basis and write little things.

If anything are argument was at ourselves. Obviously video games are a big giant thing and all of them are real.

So Sorry for this bad response I don’t have enough time for a good response.

3 Likes

I think pushing back the hegemony of how folks think about games is good! I’m very extremely interested in what teenagers actually do. Like…teens use a lot of this stuff as social spaces because they’re kind of the last semi-private place on the internet in a lot of ways? At least, they are for teens I bet.

I think the multifarious ways people use minecraft and fortnight are pretty cool, and I don’t want to like…minimize the interest in those things! But…the idea of cultural relevance vs fiancial is worth chewing over IMO?

I’m really sorry if I’ve made you feel bad about your cast! I just wanted to share my perspective on stuff relating to it, since…I come from a really different angle.

Keep casting, I still really enjoy hinge problems.

3 Likes

I think you and Rudie are more in the same space than it might have seemed on the episode, though the way of saying it there was a bit confusing. Rudie wasn’t saying that non-mainstream games are not actually videogames, but that the way that mainstream games are made and sold in the current time has moved on from what he (or, to some similar degree I) have been interested in for a long time. Which is to say like there are a ton of things we consider really good games that are outside of the paradigm of what current AAA gaming is doing, and that is good.

The independent/marvel movies thing is a good thing to bring up because, from the perspective of a lot of the major movie studios, independent movies almost don’t count as movies. That doesn’t mean they don’t count as such for you, me, or obviously the people that make them, but it means that the vast majority of funding isn’t going to them, which has positives and negatives. When you don’t have a lot of money tied up in your product, you are both freed to do whatever you want and limited in the scope past a certain point.

What spawned this whole conversation was an observation Rudie had about Last of Us 2, almost separate from its quality as a game (neither of us have played it, but gonna bet it is not for us), which is that it was built and sold in a single player, serious story, not socially optimized experiencem the way most AAA games are being sold currently. Which was interesting that the Big Sony Push was going on for a thing that is so outside of the multiplayer social experience that seems to be the target domain of Big Publishers and such lately. It was an observation that spawned a lot of conversation for us, because we feel even more pushed out of that Big Publisher space than maybe we used to. And part of that is normal (we are The Olds, and they already have what they want from us from the most part) but part of it is how games have shifted in the past 10 years or so.

And yeah, no one is diminishing social spaces for anyone else. It’s mostly just us noting that things have moved on from where we are, and that is OK. We are The Olds, in videogame publisher terms, and that is OK. As Rudie got at with the comment about our love of STGs, we’ve been talking about the financial relevance of things we love for a long time, because unfortunately, games cost money/time to make, and that is a big factor in their continued existence. We joke a lot about that 20K STG buyers meaning that STGs don’t get the budget they used to. I mean, shit, the only reason Ikaruga keeps getting re-released is Nicalis loves exploiting a license, and I am sure Treasure aren’t objecting if they can keep getting a cut.

We aren’t obsolete as humans (far from it), but we have to acknowledge that, in terms of mass market videogames, we are not their targets, and both of us have been feeling that lately. This doesn’t mean the things we enjoy aren’t actually games or anything, just that we can’t really expect that to happen much outside of smaller communities and such. And hey, that is fine, and in a lot of ways has been pretty normal for years; TLoU2 was just kinda a flashpoint for it.

2 Likes

NEW! Metal Gear!!

3 Likes

I find the autosexual reading of Meryl fascinating for its implications. Do players who idolise Snake consider themselves a sex object at the same time as they gaze? I am Snake and I love finding sexy a person who thinks I’m sexy in the same way I, the player, find myself sexy.

I’d be curious to know what you guys thought about Meryl’s conclusion in 4 as it relates back to her confused character development in 1. Something I always found uncanny about 4 is why so many characters are brought back together in 4 who would have no real reason to act as if they know each other super well given that many of them barely talked since (or even during) the events of Shadow Moses.

If MGS1 is a horny, self-actualisation, sex-haver story I feel like 4 is a strange other half that deals with impotence and the simulacrum of that earlier horniness. All the heroes are dying or near death and their prior ‘love’ interests are either dead or distant yet the game still injects sex into contexts where it doesn’t even seem to connect to anything (the Beauties, Naomi, Meryl). The only somewhat genuine spark of romance is between Otacon and Naomi and even that is fleeting and unfortunately ends up in the same way the Sniper Wolf relationship which kind of hilariously causes Otacon to reflect on why this keeps happening to him, as if he’s sick of his own plot.

To your guy’s point about nuclear war being framed as an distinctly American problem I thought it was a nice bit of irony that Nastasha is probably the most prominently Russian character (only one other than Mantis?) and also the nuke expert. I think the commentary on nuclear strategy was one of MGS1’s biggest strengths and singlehandedly led to my (and presumably others’) interest in disarmament which is pretty impressive for a game of that time.

3 Likes

I revisited the series out or order and I make no claims because I don’t remember them but last year I did revisit MGS4

2 Likes

I’m in the middle of Wild Geese right now and had a tough time seeing the MGSV in it for maybe the first hour or so, but further in you can really see the rescue missions being a pastiche of scenes from that movie. And the barracks gassing(though it was mentioned earlier on) was kind of ridiculously brutal to me and for some reason made me think of the sequence where you had to kill off your own soldiers, and most would just be docile and quickly fall dead.

1 Like

NEW EPISODE!

come back at the end of the month for something different!

1 Like

End of the Month! Time for something different. What if Hinge Problems had two more hosts @shrug and @AutomaticTiger and was about War Movies. Yes I tricked my friends into talking about war movies with me. if you don’t like us you gotta like the two other hosts!

5 Likes

I really need to listen to this I need to see if my Saving Private Ryan opinions match with prevailing sb tastemakers

This was an episode I enjoyed and would definitely listen to more of!

I forgot to post we did another one. I really really like this project and it has filled the hole in me that Friendly Fire left. I look forward to drifting further from FF but also Shrug’s Moments of Pedantry have reduced me to tears both times.

The next film is 2019’s Battle of Jangsari.

4 Likes

this is the first time I can recall finding an explicit internecine Pedant Fight in an imdb goofs section

and I’ve been on the spectrum + on the internet for basically my entire life!

4 Likes

New Episode!

The next episode is Penguin’s Memory (1985)

4 Likes

Korean-war-movie-3

:thinking:

2 Likes

New Episode!

6 Likes

my sincere apologies to anyone whose filmsperience is ruined any time they realize that a cartoon machinegun would have needed reloading that’s never shown even at the slowest end of its variable range of cyclic rates

4 Likes

1 Like