HIGH GRADE

Check out those chunky thighs.

It comes with a base.

I didn’t try standing it on its teeny tiny feet. I think this is a Gundam whose toes should never be soiled by the earth.

I bought this at Gundam Planet and there was another customer who kept chatting me up as I shopped. He said “Voundvort, eh.” and then said I’d want some kind of figma stand to prop up the gun. He was probably right. For now the gun is on the second stand that came with the kit. I placed it on one of my shelves. We’ll pretend it’s a space ship.

This is a transforming kit. I will not be transforming it right now. I…I kinda want to buy a second one to keep in ship mode. I won’t do that. But I kinda want to.

1 Like

Mostly completed her on Thursday night, but some of the decals come off at the slightest touch so I can’t really try to pose her. This was my first time using water slide decals and it was actually pretty easy, but maybe they’re old and some of adhesive isn’t strong anymore.

Then today I build the Red Comet from Gundam The Origin. A really easy HG build but it’s got a lot of stickers. I mixed some up and got some upside down, but they’re small enough that no one will tell It’s got three different guns and two variations on the axe, so it’s got lots of stuff for posing.

I built three models in the last week and now I have a really bad headache.

4 Likes

Oh shit @HOBO I have this same model and we are Tallgeese bros.

Posed with some signed baseballs that have stories no one in a Gundam thread cares about. And MGS3 Snake.

3 Likes

I mean, I’d hear about your baseball stories ITT or IAT or even I suppose IPM

I am also immensely jealous of SB Tallgeese Club

Also my new hot take is that all of the non-Gundam mobile suits in Gundam Wing have the best designs

OK, here goes:

The one on the right is signed by Herb Score, a pitcher for Cleveland in the mid 50s who set a decent amount of records and is still fondly remembered in Cleveland baseball history. I got that ball signed at an event he did when I was a kid where if you bought this LCD baseball game that used UPCs to scan in player stats. My dad and I played a good amount of that thing, and he was the one who took me to get the ball signed in 1989.

The middle ball was signed by a bunch of Cleveland players on the 1988 team during a pre-game autograph signing thing. Most of the players on it aren’t super worth noting, except one of them (and how I know what year it was) is Terry Francona, later known for coaching the Red Sox and more importantly (because nobody should care about Boston sports teams) the current Cleveland coach.

The ball on the left is the weirdest one, and involves all sorts of stuff. My Uncle Bob, who I could tell so many stories about, was doing contractor work and cleaning out a house, and in the middle of cleaning, he finds this autographed baseball in a ziplock bag. First thing he noticed was that the ball was signed by Rocky Colavito, who Cleveland baseball heads know as the beginning of the Curse of Colavito, which some fans say continues to this day. That was weird enough, since this was in the early 90s. Making it even weirder was that it was signed “To Jeff and Linda, with best wishes, Sincerely Rocky Colavito”. My parents are named Jeff and Linda. So he gave the ball to me, and it has followed me since then, even though my parents divorced not long after that (and the Curse of Colavito continued, ha). This is a quintessential Uncle Bob story. My dad told me about the time Bob bowled a perfect game while being so black out drunk that my dad had to point him to the lane. Uncle Bob was a weird dude.

So yeah, nothing related to Gundam, but there ya go.

3 Likes

which gundam is top tier in gundam vs ex maxi boost whateverversion

On the other hand,

your Uncle Bob is a Newtype. My Uncle Bob is apparently related to Jim Bowie through marriage (and I am related to {technically Great} Uncle Bob also through marriage, so I’m that many more degrees separated from The Alamo).

My Uncle Bob was also a racist and an alcoholic but maybe that isn’t a discussion for the Gundam Thread

1 Like

I have no idea if my Uncle Bob was a racist, but he was definitely an alcoholic, so maybe that comes with the title of Uncle Bob.

my wife has an Uncle Bob whose name is not actually Bob - he just lied about his name when they were kids because he thought it was funny. He’s a kind and generous weirdo who loves baseball, so i guess the only way to be a good Uncle Bob is to lie about being an Uncle Bob.

I have no idea but out of the ones I tried I had the most fun with the Acguy. It has very funny animations.

I am praying for a PC port cuz you can buy so many Gundams for the cost of PS+.

Some US stores are getting Sega Saturn model kits in stock so you know what that means…

(I may someday have a Sega Saturn model kit)

Oh my Uncle Bob ruled. Sure he had problems, but that guy was great.

1 Like

It’s over 17 inches.

This is the Figure-rise Standard Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Vegetto. I’m guessing the Figure-rise stuff are just generally easier than HG gunpla, but that means you can finish them in just a couple of hours. The DBZ kit had a lot of descriptions of the instructions in English so they’re probably designed for foreigners and new/casual builders in mind too. As long as you know what you’re getting it’s fine. Not every kit has to take an entire day or more. So if you want something you can build while watching a movie I think these Figure-rise Standards probably fit the bill.

4 Likes

Don’t think that’s really a hot take. Look at these beautiful bastards.

6 Likes

Hey, I have the Leo from Gundam Wing! Got it from a Gamestop when they were having that blowout sale last year.

I’m so into a model kit mood that now I’m finding fully built kits in boxes. This is the Gundam Mk2 from Zeta Gundam. I always avoid the Gundams because they look too similar, but I actually liked how this one was in the end. The dark blue and yellow is a nice contrast. But I definitely don’t want to build more mostly-white robots. Pretty sure I built this like a year or two ago while at my parents’ house, stored it back in its box, and forgot about it.

I also built this, the Geara Ghirarga from Gundam Build Divers, and a Gundam Build Divers themed display base (which I’m glad I had). All of the flourishes and protrusions made it look like a lot of work, but it was actually really easy and only took a few hours. The tail is a bunch of separate pieces that you slide onto a regular piece of wire. It’s not hard but the tail is definitely too heavy that let you get really creative with this tail without some sort of additional support.

If possible I’d love to make a version of this guy that’s just a floating torso with legs.

3 Likes

This Mega Man Zero Kotobukiya kit is really easy despite how large the manual is. They just use really big images for the directions. I think I dropped and then accidentally threw away one of his thumbs, thinking it was a stray piece of plastic that got clipped and flew off the desk, so Zero will never be able to hold his gun in his left hand. Also when did he get a Z in his hand?

4 Likes

The new age has arrived!!

In case you did not know what’s SEGASATURN this manual will teach you. It is indeed named after a planet and not a car or a sailor scout.

I don’t recall seeing SEGASATURN as a compound name anywhere prior to this. Was this a thing in Japan? It was not a thing in America. Here it was two words: Sega Saturn.

The kit comes with a cable for your controller and one of the more compact discs I’ve ever seen. When it comes time to apply one of those labels to it I am gonna have to make a hard moral choice…I know I already said I’d go with Sakura Taisen but now I’m torn. What do you think, dearest reader? What game should be housed eternally inside my miniature Sega Saturn?

• SAKURA TAISEN
  • NiGHTS
  • VIRTUA FIGHTER

0 voters

Here are the runners. There are not many pieces to this kit. It will be a fast build. Perhaps it could be a super fast build if you skipped including the innards? But I wouldn’t do that. That would be silly. Some good color separation! You will not need to apply any truly awfuls tickers here.I may actually panel line the innards of this thing. Or perhaps…perhaps I could use some Gundam markers, and paint the traces??

Naw I probably won’t do that, I’m pretty tired.

Check it out I got the top done. This thing has stickers and they ain’t great. I searched online for bootleg waterslides but couldn’t find any. Can’t believe bootleggers don’t love the SEGASATURN.

The black bits are actually semi-clear plastic. I’ve read that you should not cut such bits with good nippers, as they may break on the harder plastic. I don’t know if this is true! But I do it anyway. You can’t really sand clear parts so you are going to have some nub marks. Thankfully they’re mostly hidden so far – I goofed and snapped in the part on the lid without cutting some of the marks away with a knife so I just used a few dabs of a gray Gundam marker to cover the whiteness. Shh! Don’t look too close, or tell anyone I fucked up! Thank you.

I’ll be back in like an hour, you should probably vote now thanks

10 Likes

yes, it’s all over in Japan

2 Likes

SEGATA SANSHIRO
SEGASATURN, SHIRO!

You Must Build
SEGASATURN!

My slot is closed. Unless someone makes me a custom Action Replay cart. Then…then…I’ll open my slot 4 u mahjong

OK there aren’t enough grooves in this I am not panel lining it. Check it out though. You got all the chips and such. And a little plastic faux battery! Its lifespan is probably only a little worse than a legit Saturn’s battery.

There’s a transparent plastic bit for the lens and yes you can spin the CD mechanism or whatever it is called.

We got the unit all together now. You can remove that cover and access the battery, which you would need to do if you ever unplugged your Saturn for more than a few hours. That is why I made that joke earlier. Because I had to change my Saturn battery a lot, and I lost many saves. That’s why Action Replays get me hot. I never owned one! Can you believe it?

The tiniest version of the history’s finest dpad. Please, take some time to appreciate it before moving on.

I panel lined the controller PCB cuz it was easy. There is a toothpick, for scale. I believe it is a regulation sized toothpick. We do things by the book here at Stately Bachelor Soft Manor.

The cable can be very, very long but I made it short because I am keeping this on my desk. It’s currently on top of my Mac Mini, surrounded by Arale and SD Mazinger and a HG Hi-Mock. I didn’t take a photo of it cuz it’s dark in my room and also I haven’t dusted in awhile. But it looks cool, ok. Gonna pretend my computer is actually a Sega Saturn.

The POWER/ACCESS stickers actually suck and I wish I hadn’t applied them. I may remove them.

Here are my lovely mother’s hands, holding her latest grandchild. “When you showed me the box I thought it sounded silly but it is actually very cute!” You heard it, folks: my mother has officially endorsed the SEGASATURN. The console wars are officially over.

Oh yeah this took like less than an hour to finish and Sakura Taisen was winning then so that’s it, it’s a Sakura Taisen CD. Also I was going to go Sakura Taisen no matter how the vote shook out. That’s right: I’m a heel now. Suck it!!!

21 Likes