hey guess what

it’s an anime recommendation thread for me, haley

i was talking about this with @contentdeleted the other night and i am pretty frustrated because like

i have hella anxiety

hell one of the biggest reasons i watch so much animation is because autism has wired up my brain so that looking at actual human faces stresses me out (related: i am partly faceblind, big surprise i know)

that’s a pretty good reflection of how functional i am at this point

and i am afraid to try new things because shows that i should theoretically like get fucked up by anxiety and estrogen and trauma flashbacks, and the kind of shit that messes me up most people wouldn’t even remember at all

card captor is apparently an Actually Good show where cute girls do cute things but i’ll have to take other people’s word for it because i can barely get past the opening without crying because it reminds me that i never got to grow up as a girl

utena is probably great but again i’ll probably never know because the first five minutes are about misgendering/trans-coded bullying and i’m not equipped for that

we watched Only Yesterday on sunday and the movie goes on for nearly fifteen minutes about periods and there’s no way i would’ve gotten through it if i was watching it alone

i loved the first episode of samurai champloo and i haven’t watched anything since then because… the girl made me cry because she was cute and i wanted to be like her??? what the fuck

most of what i actually watch falls somewhere between Okay and Bad because it’s reliably inoffensive–or at least if it’s Problematic it’s usually not in a way that manages to get to me. this is the best excuse i have for stardust crusaders

i am sort of an emotionally unstable traumatized mess in the throes of second puberty and pretty good at hating myself for it

um

#so uhh anime recommendations right? yeah

it’s not much to go on but my favorite show is legend of galactic heroes and beyond that… one punch man and space dandy were both really good dumb fun and uhhh everything else i can remember actually liking right now was a movie??? Oops

akira is the best

somehow LWA 1 and 2 were fantastic in a way that didn’t make me cry and i don’t really get how that came together but i’m into it

the ghibli films i’ve seen made a bigger creative impact on me than maybe any other body of work? not exactly a hot take and yet i’m probably too scared to watch any more of them anyway lol

at some point i should probably finish ping-pong and pick up mob psycho 100 since those both seem safe

eva sux

anyway i just want to watch things that make me feel good and let me forget my body exists for a little while and i guess being good Art would be a bonus too idk that part’s not as important really

this is a Bad Post

i don’t know if anyone can really look at that post and have something useful to reply with but

yeah even for this kind of stuff i need a safespace i guess

i want to just be able to try things out but i have no confidence in that at all anymore

I keep recommending tweeny witches to people and you are in particular a person that would like it, its about a human girl who falls into witch world and becomes a witch and they go around trying to capture monsters that power spells and then it gets dramatic about halfway through

it looks like this

3 Likes

Seems like the common thread is that reminders of your gender struggle stress you out so I guess you should be fine with stuff that is 100% manly men that don’t even acknowledge that femininity or even females exist?

In which case I recommend the same anime I always recommend as a guy who does not like anime,

MD Geist

and

Silent Service

1 Like

Oh, the original Heroic Legend of Arslan OVA is very good and has gorgeous art and animation. It’s based on another series by the Legend of Galactic Heroes person.

The modern remake adaptation with fullmetal alchemist art looks like vomit, don’t watch that one.

2 Likes

the shittiest irony

…escapism sure is hard work!

ha ha have you seen attack on Tinitan

they eat th eguy it’s fucking crazy

3 Likes

the thing i was most dissapointed about when i first learned that attack on titan existed was that it had nothing to do with waging war against saturn’s largest moon

2 Likes

the second thing was that mediocre-to-bad shows should not have good openings, it’s just–it’s just wrong

(this is probably a big part of why i stuck with baccano as long as i did)

cuba how do feel (at least aesthetically) about space adventure cobra

I’d also mention city hunter but I have no idea how to find that in english

space adventure cobra is actually sitting on my external hard drive i should probably give it a try eventually

I was turned off from city hunter (the anime) in like sub 3 minutes because of extreme sexism

oooh, that is…well, kind of expected tbh

also I can’t actually vouch for cobra, it’s just on a “maybe watch list” for me because I dug through a lot of old stuff at one point. what’s anime

one of the later city hunter series might have cut it out. I still mean to give them a try and to maybe skip around the original city hunter to see if it gets better.

me with most media lol

significant improvement on the three episode rule imo

How about Patlabor

there’s one episode entirely about looking after a cat

2 Likes

Patlabor rules

If they were to make an american remake of Patlabor, I would just want it to be Brooklyn 99 with giant robots

1 Like

Considering what Patlabor The Movie turned out to be, I now crave a Brooklyn 99 film in the style of Zodiac.

1 Like

oh my god, patlabor really rules

little witch academia the show is fun and cool although the couple last episodes were kinda boring because they are keeping the important stuff to the end which is like, five or six episodes ahead

they are still on my to-watch list so i can’t attest for the content (probably someone here can) but uh venus war and soreyuke! uchuu senkan yamamoto yohko are visually incredible

I like Cobra a lot despite the sexism; his pulp hero inconsideration is moderated by his doofiness. The show is amusing trash weekly; the movie has much better visuals (it’s a Japanese serialized incorporation of swingin’ scifi like Barbarella). A running subplot is, why doesn’t Cobra have eyes for his copilot/fembot Lady?