Hardware To Be a God

babe wake up they’re about to show off Jony Ive’s Spatial Computing

1 Like

Do they have glasses that do closed captioning? No? I’m going back to sleep

1 Like

M2 is nothing special as expected, just a little bump on the M1, probably won’t see a major improvement on the M1/Pro/Max until the M3 generation

M1 iPad Pro looking better than ever though (finally)

like these are actually very good devices now that could happily replace a low-end laptop paired with a desktop, finally, after years of playing

2 Likes

Ready to see an M1 iPad run Dolphin 2x faster than some 12900ks build with an RTX 3090 Ti.

2 Likes

damn my mac can’t run ‘the body’ ventura

3 Likes

they’re finally deprecating pretty aggressively (my wife’s 2013 Air got the 2020 macOS I think, just not last year’s) but I’m all for it because a) they still give you 2-3 years of security patches when you get dropped from the most recent OS and like 10 years of support overall is absolutely fine, b) they got the M1s out there and everyone knew this would happen, and c) everything they released in the Skylake era in between Haswell and the T2 was a total piece of shit, and I think rapidly skipping ahead from 2014 → 2018 in their deprecation timeline pretty much reflects that. I’m on a 2018 MBP myself that I’m in no hurry to get rid of but I’d be shocked if they really force my hand in the next couple of years, I think they just had some junk to cut through.

1 Like
5 Likes

wonder if that’ll be one of those things that just randomly doesn’t come to ipados

i finally bought an iphone 13 after hemming and hawing about screen size and the death of analog audio ports for the last 6 years. i held a 13 mini but imo it was too big for one handed operation but too small for comfortable two handed use :confused: that plus i’ll be able to still find accessories for in a few years pushed me to the bigger one.

i’m still not loving the ergonomics but the big screen is very pretty?

7 Likes

See how you feel about it tomorrow. (Actually very curious, was shocked how quickly I adapted.)

1 Like

I think this was basically the last missing piece for iPads to become dominant among convertible/small laptops on top of just tablets… sort of like how iPhones took the long way around to having reasonable accommodations for non-default apps/keyboards/sideloading like 6-7 years after android, but once they finally did they were overwhelmingly better on performance/support/security… there is no iPad competitor that is anywhere close to solving mixed touch/pointing UX or CPU architecture/compatibility. having real external display support and window management is very good for them.

Convertibles maybe, but I doubt a v1.0 of floating window management is the final missing piece for replacing laptops. There’s a never-ending list of “one more thing that isn’t quite right yet”. It’s like the year of Linux on the desktop.

It’s so depressing for what computers are to people. I know this has only been trending in one direction in the last dozen years, but I hate every step of the forced march to opaque, consumption-only computing.

12 Likes

I know at least one person who’s using quite a lot of desktop Linux this year idk gaben may have done it

9 Likes

Just let them run MacOS

Please

1 Like

they got a better terminal emulator than windows does still

I like to run code on my local machine

4 Likes

automator works great! a cheap VPS works great! raspbian works great! you got plenty of other options that don’t get in the way of a high performing thin client

to be honest I really like how this illustrates an ideological divide between PC devotees and people like myself who are apple apologists largely on the basis of unix support, it is a good argument

1 Like