Guys I tried to rewatch Aliens after rewatching Alien

Alien is my favorite.

Aliens is kinda dumb but still a sweet action flick with a lot of memorable moments.

Alien 3 is

4 Likes

I always assumed it was a classic horror movie castle/mansion in space kind of thing. Thereā€™s some second empire style gables beneath the Douglas Trumbull-y bits.

variations on a theme??

6 Likes

When I remembered that Pepsiā€™s whole angle is positioning itself as the hip, progressive soda in opposition to Cokeā€™s essentially conservative strategy, that commercial reached a new level of lol.

1 Like

Also

2 Likes
1 Like

I donā€™t have access to the movie to see the scene in question again, but what I do remember is that the Alien Queen vs. Ripley moments seem to be keyed to establish that what the Queen did to the colony was survival, their method of propagation, but after Ripley flames her eggs, the Queen is out for vengeance. The xenomorphs go from being a force of nature to devils who care for nothing but to chase you down and drag you to hell.

In terms of it being a response to Vietnam: America went into the Vietnam War assuming that the North Vietnamese would see our support of South Vietnam and our bombing of North Vietnamā€™s infrastructure in a specific rational manner and would accept a peace treaty. The North Vietnamese said ā€œhell noā€ and decided they could continue to fight using their countryā€™s birth rate, no matter how much devastation the war caused. That, in fact, fed the feedback loop: the Americans have bombed this, so we have to make them pay, even if that means they continue bombing, and weā€™ll have to get them for that, too.

Before that, the xenomorphs just sat around in eggs until some idiot woke them up. They have no reason to chase down humans. Humans were always the ones to disturb them. Ripley, by flaming the eggs, doesnā€™t deal a decisive blow to the Queen, or decide that trying to use the humans as hosts is a irrational idea. It just gets the Queen pissed.

Yeah but thatā€™s glossing over the inherent comedy of this nightmare entity waiting on an elevator like itā€™s a mass effect loading screen.

Love this weird adaptation more than any of the Dark Horse aloof ideas, honestly.

I see that, but (and this may be a personal problem) I see elevators as menacing and exciting.

For some reason the only two examples of ā€œgood elevatorsā€ happen to not be popular games. Thereā€™s a few elevators, one of which moves sideways as well as down, that really got my sense of dread up in Xenogears. And each time you go in the end of stage elevator, which happens to be a giant skull, in Bonkā€™s Adventure as the Final Approach to the levelā€™s boss, I am like FUCK YEAH.

I could easily go on for a few more paragraphs to talk about elevators, which I am now discovering is a rather big deal inside my own mind, but I should probably stop. Maybe Iā€™ll make an Elevator Thread later.

(Bonkā€™s skull elevator is still beastly.)

1 Like

???

I dunno, I think thereā€™s terror in the queen being smart enough to figure out how to operate an elevator. Itā€™s like when the raptors start using the door handles in Jurassic Park.

It also sets up the cool/sick shot of the queen unfolding her massive body out of the small space of the elevator. Aliens has really good action shots, guys.

3 Likes

yeah man Aliens is seminal top 3 action movie of the 80s (Die Hard? T1?). what is this thread even??

Iā€™m sure you remember it this way. It looks like a weightless puppet floating on some strings out of an elevator.

The queen is the only bit of Aliens I like. Sheā€™s a big olā€™ bug! The bit where she rips the android in half is hilarious, also.

no way in hell. the marines are all annoying jackasses and almost all the marine on alien action is them flailing around shooting into the sky and maybe rarely itā€™ll cut to a quick shot of an apex predator lethal killing machine alien popping like an acid balloon cause it was hit by a bullet

2 Likes

I think it was probably already a cliche for haunted house movies but in Alien itā€™s kind of like a clue to help you realize what genre of movie youā€™re actually watching

1 Like