Guilty Gear Strive is the best fighting game I've ever played

Revelator was my first guilty gear and I’d throw on Birthday train and Freesia for hours and hours while learning comboes and in lobbies. I distinctly remember being really embarassed when I was playing against this guy for like 3 hours, and Birthday train would play 50% of the time. I’d started enjoying it more than ironically and I was sure it was getting on their nerves.

I’m just waiting for one of: (Answer, Venom, Slayer) to get into the game before I start no lifing it like I did with Revelator for a few months.

1 Like

the last fighting game I really tried to sit down and grind was street fighter v, several times. it’s fuckin dumb how much better this game is than that piece of garbage. I would like to play sb people!

also the only character I ever play against is ky. I play my friend, it’s hours of ky. I go to the ranked tower, it’s hours of failed to connect interspersed with ky. you would think I would know when his bullshit isn’t safe, but I really don’t.

1 Like

also I don’t get how the ranking thing works. is it really just 10 floors and then celestial? cause like, if that’s true, I feel like they got a lot of players to cram in those upper floors? I’m floor 8 and I don’t know shit, it would have to be like 1-10 = scrubs, celestial = players who actually know what they’re doing. that seems pretty odd if true.

1 Like

They said during the beta that people in 1F weren’t even using special moves. I haven’t seen anyone in 3F to 6F where I am bouncing around use FD or roman cancels. I’ve seen maybe 2-3 bursts?

1 Like

i too enjoy this game. my thumb, however,

1 Like

I’m kinda not feeling this game yet but thats mainly because I don’t like how Chipp feels in this game. Now before yo call me an old head I was on board with Strive being taking it down a few notches of the craziness of past games. Stuff like Millia Oki and Elphelt pressure were oppressive walls that were just hard stops for anyone that didn’t take the time to lab those out. I like learning things organically and I just don’t have the devotion to first learn how to do the tightly timed pressure so I can record it on a dummy.

So while things are scaled down it feels like you’re getting to the core of a character faster but some characters it feels like they’ve taken away the low level wow factor. I feel this most with Chipp. He’s always been a hard character to play right because he dies so fast and takes alot of time to understand his tools but he had a few amazing tools. Teleports and an Air Brake (FDC). Teleports were an easy input and had made a very visible impression of there usefulness. Even if you sucked at combos and pressure you could at least be annoying and find openings with them. So now chipp feels the least like his old self. He feels like he has a hard lab requirement to have fun because without any high level knowledge he just feels real dry and honest. Thus I throw away my ninja pride and become as TOTSUGEKI from this day forward.

2 Likes

i got this bad boy on day one and it owns. i like it when i play fighting games against people who know what they’re doing, and at worst i hold my own, and at best i straight up win. ky feels a lot better to play in this game than he does in accent core, anji is pretty fun, and i’m still working out how to adapt to chipp’s various changes. also sticking it up all these gionvanna players asses; yeah keep trying out your half-hour long block string, bitch, i got pressure for days.

things i like:

• the game feels really good to play; like it’s distilled down to its essence
  • netcode is legitimately some of the best i have seen in any video game ever
  • every character feels unique, moreso than previous guilty gears
  • it looks really nice

things i don’t like:

• those lobbies are bull shit
  • i miss chipp’s teleports
  • potemkin has a theme song called “society,” yet he does not have a joker color scheme
3 Likes

It’s quite a lot of fun so far, it feels fair and energetic and nothing that happened in 8 hours of play has made me salty/on tilt so far, which is quite remarkable for a competitive game actually.

I like that I’m being matched against players (ranks 3-5) with approximately the same magnitude of flaws but in all sorts of different areas so I can be proud of what I know how to do that they don’t, and also experience how it feels to be on the receiving end of “their gimmick” that I didn’t think of trying, and then during the lobby breaks think about how to counter it and how I could mix it in a little in the next match.

2 Likes

Yeah this is what I’m learning about competitive games in general recently. I used to be like scared to try to learn certain complicated games because I was afraid it would take too long to get good and “enjoy” it but most sufficiently complicated games have multiple axes to get better on and it’s interesting to play against players who have focused on a different niche than you.

I have the type of brain that wants to learn everything upfront before playing, but I’m learning I can also enjoy focusing on a piece at a time, and only engaging in the next piece when I’m ready.

2 Likes

One thing I’ve learned just yesterday from for the first time playing in a wide matchmaking pool is that I have a gimmick and it’s midrange pressure. I intuitively gravitate to characters (like Ky and Zato-1 in this game) with a variety of midrange attacks and then try to hold that distance and rotate between attacks.

I’m running into certain players though that either keep close-range pressure hot on me instead, or have the presence of mind to both block and punish (as I mindlessly rotate to the next attack, wrongly assuming they feel too pressured to act against me). And finally it’s clear to me exactly what sort of player I was all along and what I actually ought to learn, instead of just following my natural inclination to improve the consistency and precision of my gimmick.

3 Likes

Yeah this game is maddening if you’re trying to play an old character you’re familiar with and that’s one reason why the early tests were so miserable. Everyone felt like a shell of their former selves. Except Sol. He still kinda felt like Sol.

If Jack-O is season 1 DLC as rumored I assume she won’t even have the house gimmick. Maybe they’ll surprise me but I can’t imagine them putting something so bullshit into this game.

I was raging constantly playing VF5 last week yet I’m entirely chill playing Strive and it’s all cuz of the fuckin netcode. Instability fucks with my head, I immediately go on tilt when there’s a hiccup, I play fighting games cuz I want it to be my fault if I lose, in Strive I always know it’s my fault so even if I’d rather be playing a bunch of other FGs I’ll probably stick with this cuz it’s got a playerbase and it fuckin works.

Except for the lobbies.

2 Likes

Enjoying so far. Have been attempting play w keyboard and goddamn wsad is uncomfortable for this. I wish I could just angle it slightly. Potemkin is a lot of fun!

Why do I have to communicate with the server for 5 minutes when I boot it.

Anyone else having the issue on PC where the framerate drops to 15FPS on May’s airship stage? Is there some particular graphics setting I ought to turn down?

Are you running at 4K? I know the game has some weird issues at that res

1 Like

No, 1080p…

I like the option in this game to challenge higher ranks if you feel like it, but not lower ranks. It means it half-feels like a reward when I lose a rank. Then I can switch to a different character and have a pool of weaker players to face while I’m still learning the ropes on that one.

Sonicfox makes Leo look so easy jeez

edited so i dont have to double post; im MARS_0444 on steam if anyone wanrs to get some matches in

my friend hazel has been making combo videos for the game, and the training dummies are all of my mains; it’s like she’s trying to cut a promo on me.

anyways, my solution to not getting hit by any of this shit is to be super good with chipp, and also be really good with ky, because this is my fucking house.

4 Likes

I hit the 10th floor. Can I reach celestial without practicing? I bet. But I don’t want to, because I wouldn’t want to leave all my friends behind.

i really hate the fontwork in this, it’s obnoxious and sort of a mess

1 Like