Grotesque videogames

I have not seen the DOS version of Robocop before, but I like how it’s more violent than the arcade version (which is the one I used to watch people play). For example, I don’t think the arcade version has that fountain of blood when you save the president at the end.

Also,

This sign is something I haven’t thought about in ages.

And I guess the DOS developers concluded that things wouldn’t be quite so futuristic in 1990 (just a year or two after the game’s release), so they changed it to 2000.

10 Likes

:dizzy_face: :boom: :boom: :boom: :smirk:

12 Likes

I hadn’t seen the ZX Spectrum port of Altered Beast before. It’s more thorough a conversion than I would have expected. And look at those colors.

15 Likes
8 Likes

this looks like an extremely badass Russian FPS from 2002 thank you very much

2 Likes

5 Likes

Grotesque doesn’t mean bad

Although in this case,

5 Likes

oh I wasn’t disagreeing on how grotesque it is lol

3 Likes

4 Likes
5 Likes

images

15 Likes

jesus

6 Likes

Yes it’s terrifying. I actually own this game and try to play it sometimes; I can’t get past the first level.

2 Likes

16 Likes
5 Likes
7 Likes

the master system version of altered beast was clearly made as a token afterthought, as cheaply and quickly as possible. the player sprite is on a different scale to all the enemy sprites, and the humanoid enemies are on a different scale to the non-humanoid enemies. also it’s barely playable garbage.

Altered Beast (USA, Europe, Brazil)000
Altered Beast (USA, Europe, Brazil)002
Altered Beast (USA, Europe, Brazil)003
Altered Beast (USA, Europe, Brazil)004

3 Likes

i almost don’t want to know but: what is this from

Is altered beast actually any good? I remember it as being very bad to play but like… hilarious thematically

Lawnmower Man

1 Like