Grassy Grottos

My favorite video game setting. I want to live in these places. Please make sure your plant-filled cave is lush, friendly and comfy.

gic2

gic1

gic3

Not pictured: Lots of super mario worlds, lots of Knytt Stories

15 Likes

cave story is still my favorite looking game

1 Like

They call it a Space Station but perhaps it still meets your criteria despite the windows.

3 Likes

Mr. Do

petey%20packrat

Petey Packrat (BARELY makes it)

1 Like

lemmings_remake_01

3 Likes

Hollow Knight

hollowknight1

2 Likes

I always loved the light world in LTTP coz most of it was lush and green, especially under the bridge where you get one of the bottles off that guy camping. It always just seemed so cozy and comfortable down there.

16 Likes

Can I tell you this one little screen is possibly why A Link to the Past is my favorite game in the series? Whenever someone mentions the game it’s almost always the first image that springs to my mind.

9 Likes

9 Likes

I was literally just about to make a thread about this lmao here u go sorry it’s long:

Grotto (ˈɡrɒtəʊ | ˈɡrɑtəʊ)

DEF:
A small cave, especially one with attractive features.
An underground chamber with an opening to the surface; may be natural or artificial.

ETY:
from Italian “grotta”, Vulgar Latin “grupta”, and Latin “crypta”. See also: Latin(?) “grottesca”, from the French “grotesque”.

SYN:
antre, cave, cavern, delve, grot

REL:
abyss, bunker, burrow, chasm, covert, crawlway, den, dugout, excavation, foxhole, gallery, gulf, hole, hollow, karst, lair, lodge, mine, pit, shaft, shelter, subway, tunnel, well

the og tomb raider is basically cool underground hangout zone the videogame
14%20pm 24%20pm

Alice in Wonderland on the c64 is the reason I wanted to collate grottos and is the most lovely soft green game

Oneiric Gardens has extremely good green wells

Kyle Reimergartin’s FJORDS is not very green but I would hang out there

I’ll post more later once i get screenshots of the other games on my list

12 Likes

Omg that Alice in Wonderland C64 game is gorgeous

1 Like

terraria can hit on this mood sometimes:

lode runner: the legend returns

002%5B1%5D

if underwater caves are cool,

toki tori

aquaria

5 Likes

Holy heck that lode runner screenshot

1 Like

it’s “Moss World” so actually hardly anything i posted is grass haha

this thread reminds me of when i would play Worms as a kid and just dig tunnels into the terrain instead of fighting, acting out little stories. there weren’t that many grassy maps but it had a similar sort of comfort

2 Likes

6 Likes

4 Likes

i was originally going to do another compilation but then i started playing deidia again and god damn this game is all grottos:

13 Likes

dear lord I had no idea this thing existed and already lived inside my heart and guts

whoa

oh my god