Games You Played Today VI (III in the west)

Finished Crysis by giving up and then enabling godmode to breeze through the remainder of the game, I am glad I did I don’t think it’s possible to beat this game without dying 1000000 times. I died at one section I think 10 times trying to clear an area.

Anyway yeah, there’s aliens, ancient aliens. And you dug em up.

The Zero Gravity Alien Structure section is neat, I think every game in the mid 00’s had to have one. Except this one you can never find the exit, and you move so slow through midair. I thought this section really dragged on. There’s one huge room that you have to wait for the aliens to activate 4 power thingies before a door opens, there’s another where you have to wait for a shield to periodically drop and it takes forever, a slog even with invicibility on.

Then you emerge and everything is frozen, now you are fighting alien bastards 100% of the time and they come in like 3 flavors

1. tiny guy
  2. slightly bigger guy
  3. large flying squid thing

#3 flies around, and they’re basically a faster moving helicopter. I hate them so much. God.

The Archeologist lady what dug up the aliens gets a VTOL, and you’re supposed to drive, then her VTOL goes down, so you have to rescue her…again.

Finally you meet Strickland. He’s the asshole that’s on the radio telling you to “take out those AA guns” and “take out that radar jammer” and “clear this area solider” and then he’s the big hero here because he distracts the huge alien while you take off. I enjoyed watching his demise he was so annoying.

BOOM

then there’s a flying mission. I looked forward to this the entire game. It’s pretty short but the VTOL controls are fun enough. They could have had at least one more VTOL mission

Unfortunately after this you get a new guy to yell into your radio and tell you what to do, the ship captain. This part of the game also takes place on an aircraft carrier and it’s incredibly easy to get lost and turned around. They decide to fucking nuke the island, because what else is there to do. The Archeologist lady doesn’t wanna nuke the island. You see how this goes.

Anyway you nuke the island and this just pisses the aliens off even more.

You run around the ship clearing flying enemies, then the ship reactor starts to melt down and you have to go into the reactor room and move some rods around. The entire time you’re just trying to navigate a dark ship full of right angles and narrow corridors. I would hate this IRL.

“Nice job moving those rods son” the captain says. Shortly thereafter he dies. GOOD. This game is all about men sacrificing themselves for fucking nothing after telling someone else to go kill literally hundreds of NPCs, because it’s what men do.

Anyway you blow up a big crawly alien and then this big asshole shows up, and you can finally use the BFG the game gives you. You cannot use the BFG on anything but the final boss. The entire time you’re fighting it those aforementioned flying aliens are shooting at you, the deck of the ship is on fire, you are constantly taking damage from 10 or so sources of bullets, and also there’s a freeze ray. Locking on takes 5 excruciating seconds to do, and then you lob a missile at it. You gotta do this 3 times. There’s so much going on that my system would slow down.

When I watched my college roommate do this game 15 years ago I remarked about how much a slog this final level is and god damn is it a slog. Multiple bosses, traversing a ship to stop a reactor meltdown, only for it to not matter. The ship sinks and everyone on it but you, the other exo suit guy, and the archeologist lady.

You don’t even fly back to civilization you immediately go back to the fucking island because “we know how to fight these things now” no you don’t asshole it’s the end of the fucking world. go fly to LA and get some Salt and Straw or some shit IDK.

ANYWAY, I have definitively answered the question “can it run Crysis” for my computer, which is to say “yes”

5/10 - looking at my watch it’s 11:30 and I feel like i’d have a better time playing fortnite.

15 Likes

The thing that baffled me the most about this is how completely off the physics are. Like you’d think if the original is such a cherished part of their childhood they’d at least try to get that part right.

2 Likes

been playing/helping play through this. there’s an annoying bug that achievements don’t pop sometimes, unless you Load the game instead of Continuing. never noticed any visual/input technical issues tho.

it’s all one big fetch quest, which is fine with the amount of fast travel you can unlock. at least the quests aren’t cookie cutter clones, they vary the breadth and depth of the requirement trees. I can’t be bothered to remember the requirements for crafting each macguffin’s prerequisite (am old), fortunately the other, more enthusiastic (younger) player has no problem keeping track of multiple recipes

suffers a little bit from its limited budget: all the ‘cut scenes’ are delivered as portraited text boxes, so you’d get a written description of someone affected by a magical effigy (hovering, transforming) instead of an animation

almost done, just have to prevent a sexual assault[*] in a pub and it’s onto the final soul to collect

*: it’s the Wolf threatening Red Riding Hood, I think the in-game story is ‘vore’ but the façade is thin

2 Likes

new ps+ extra catalog stuff for this month includes DMCV and Just Cause 4

Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition (PS5) - game rips. even with the graphics settings maxed (raytracing (graphics)), the game still runs extremely well. i guess you can get up to 120Hz on the lower settings, but my TV doesn’t support that. delightful action game, definitely prefer the feel of this one over 4 and DmC (blegh)

Just Cause 4 (PS4) - i really appreciate the movement in this series. i played JC3 a bit back when that came out on PC, and enjoyed it, but never got particularly stuck in. this one seems more inviting (i like how quickly this game gets to the point), but gotta say - i’m disappointed with the performance on the PS4 version. i expect this would look a lot more gorgeous on PC, and given how much time you spend at extreme altitudes vista-gazing, seems like it’d be a relevant factor to one’s enjoyment. the LOD pop-in is really distracting at times (particularly when using the wingsuit at low altitudes), and the framerate is a bit unstable. still, it’s a very satisfying sandbox and the movement options are unlike pretty much any other game. will definitely spend more time with this, just wish this game would get a PS5 patch - it could look and run so much better!

also, i ran into some weirdness where my dualsense would start rumbling non-stop for several minutes. quitting the game and coming back would fix it, or it would eventually go away on its own, but… seems like a bug. don’t think i’m meant to be getting a controller massage while just standing still

5 Likes

idk why but i decided nows a good time to replay fft… its been a few years anyways. thats one i def binge gamed.

i’m only using a) girls b) generic units c) no calculators… and the greatest sin of all is im playing with a new patch that inserts the psp script and content into the ps1 ver.

ummm i think it’s fine actually after years of being like “ugh…” like yeah it still stands that parts of it are a little much but most of it is really quite fine and obviously more coherent than the psx ver.

(but you know felix’s patch is pretty good…)

sooo rn i have ramza as a summoner… a 2nd summoner girl… a dragoon girl and a samurai girl. im trying to get my dragoon to meet the job lvl reqs for dancer cause i thought it was a pretty fun class last time i played. ramza has iaido which obviously tears stuff up when ur a summoner bc it’s based off magic power. for my 5th character ive started raising a new character from scratch she’s a chemist rn.

ramza has auto-potion and i have a healthy stock of hi-potions so at this stage of the game he’s kind of really wrecking stuff lol. gafgarrion… dont make me laugh.

im also not doing random battles… i seem to be a lil below enemy levels rn which is kind of good cause i worry that stuff like cheesing jp by having ramza use stuff like his brave boost skill every single turn is a little too effective… i like job points what can i say… ultimately character level just really doesnt seem like a big deal in these cause my like lvl 8 chemist is still quite useful and gets some good hits in with her pistol and im really doubtful that im ahead of the job curve at this point bc i got samurai as soon as katanas showed up in shops.

i think i came into the argus fight (dont you mean agrath…) something like level 5 and it took surrounding him with 3 guys in a corner and hitting him literally dozens of times bc he has autopotion and a seemingly unlimited supply to actually kill him lmao

i played smth like literally 12 hours yesterday :face_with_spiral_eyes: im in the middle of chapter 3.

7 Likes

this is the name of the wesleyan school paper (I slept with 2 editors). his name is algus

5 Likes

i have a suspicion that your “load-not-continue” workaround is preventing other bugs too, because they all seem to be related. i haven’t gotten any trophies for the game, and all my woes started the second time i played, using the “Continue” option, and then opening the map using the touchpad (apparently using triangle and tabbing over is another workaround)

2 Likes

I think between the pervert Daikatana thread and getting down with the sickness after Christmas (the rona, I had the rona), I finally went through with the longstanding threat against myself and installed Sin and played through it

Sin is a bad game

I thought Ritual were supposed to be the level design guys, so why are the levels so bad

there’s locational damage on enemies but also not? the bonus you get for headshots isn’t “guy falls over dead in one bullet”, it’s “their body armor wasn’t shot up so you can scavenge their corpse for it”, but they’re still as bullet spongy regardless of where you shoot

there’s one boss fight and it’s a pretty good indication that they can’t design bosses

the writing makes me want to stab my ears out

it just sort of ends? I mean, it does unless you have Sin Episodes (well, episode), whose plot seems to be completely unrelated other than “Not Ice T fights evil big boob business lady”

so anyway, then I installed Sin Episodes

if you weren’t around then, Sin Episodes is the game infamous for adjusting the difficulty of the game on the fly in response to a player’s performance, a thing first employed to great effect in arcade games to make more money. here, it works off a crude set of metrics and

if you headshot too many dudes, the game goes “fuck you” and this is funny and miserable

I distinctly recall a scenario from my first playthrough way back when on a late game level where you are literally on the side of a building on fire escapes and scaffolding and ledge and turning a corner and three armored guys with chainguns are just fucking chilling, waiting to light me up

video games are, in fact, bad

10 Likes

Am I following right that a game called House Flipper takes the resident-hostile tendencies of the Sims and puts them in a Libertarian context??

3 Likes

Crysis is the original House Flipper. You launch a rocket into one and it flips over

8 Likes

I haven’t played the sims! I gave up on trying to sell houses because the buyers nag you in ways that make no sense. some dude was bitching because there was no bedroom but any time I’d put a bed down hed freak out and not wanna buy anymore. I don’t know how to make these assholes happy.

I just answered emails and played fix em up simulator instead in people’s houses that needed to be worked on. I uninstalled yesterday cuz it was getting too repetitive. gonna try mechanic simulator next

7 Likes

Isshin has decided to engage with real history and I cannot believe it will be released in English in 3 weeks. Maybe one of you can explained to me what the hell happened.

At one point they just list like 20 Real Historical Figures. And talk about politics of the era for half an hour. And you just sit there and listen. There’s a reason they didn’t bring it over.

There is a moment that he truly becomes Sakamoto Ryouma but fucked if I understand how.

Are they going to keep the period accurate location names for everything? So that it is bafflingly incoherent for the west. On top of all these Real Historic Figures that we don’t know. That it also plays with your expectations of them? Like Okita Souji is a historically famous pretty boy, but here played by Majima. There has to be dozens of little twists like that that I do not understand.

9 Likes

I’m anticipating the screen being blotted with translator’s notes and historical context footnotes on every character introduction title card. Don’t let me down Sega.

11 Likes

just according to keikaku

9 Likes

Sega has been surveying ppl in the west if they wanted a port of ishin for years and the response has always been positive. People fuckin love samurai shit. And it has extra appeal because it heavily involves the shinsengumi which people know about through anime and otome games…not hard to imagine someone going wow kiryu gets to fight kenshin guys in this game!!! wow its my boyfriend souji okita from hakuoki!!!

9 Likes

it’s true, my cousins completely derailed the Christmas party this year by talking about the battle of sekigahara out of nowhere

22 Likes

every game i play about old stuff has a bunch of out of context info that i have to look up (if my nerd ass hasnt read about it yet) and i LOVE IT. i think regular gamers are becoming like that too. learning history is just another mechanic now

14 Likes

Dynasty Warriors gave me such a good basic understanding of the three kingdoms story and who the characters are that I was glad I played it before reading the book, which is awesome

12 Likes

This is honestly one of the big appeals of Nioh as a series as well tbh, although it covers folklore as well as history

8 Likes