Games You Played Today ver.1.22474487139...

3 Likes

maiden of black completely goated. i was more moved than ever by demonā€™s when i played it last month, stonefang in particular this time i think is one of the best game dungeon spaces there is

13 Likes

I bought Songs of Conquest

Itā€™s a HOMM-like.

First level was fun.
Think I might try playing this just a bit at a time to savor it.

4 Likes

stuck with Genesis games for tonight.

Double Dragon II for Mega Drive is definitely the worst version of the game, which is really saying something when the arcade version suffers from tremendous amounts of slowdown and is in all actuality just Double Dragon 1.5. that said, as a kid, for whatever reason, i was totally in love with the fact that Billy and Jimmy switched from Blue and Red to Black and White. DD2 arcade should be, by all accounts, the better game compared to DD1, yet it somehow isnā€™t. i still love it, but sheesh, the NES port is just leagues ahead in every regard.

i canā€™t remember if i ever made a thread about Double Dragon; i wonder if i should? everyone always likes repeat the idea that Final Fight made the DD series irrelevant, but i genuinely disagree. they appeal to totally different senses. Final Fight maximizes things where Double Dragon makes every hit count.

played some Alien Soldier because When Youā€™re Here Youā€™re Family. i want to make a point of finally beating this game this year.

the Sega CD version of Mortal Kombat is superior the Genesis version, but the soundtrack isnā€™t as good as the arcade because itā€™s missing the insane amounts of bass.

i tried out Time Gal and yeah, i have never been good at these kinds of games. still a really impressive achievement to port that game at the time they did.

9 Likes

is Double Dragon 2 the one that has the insanely unforgiving vertical levels where you have to reliably make jumps by like double tapping to run and pressing B+A simultaneously to jump, and if you donā€™t, you lose all your continues?

I think I always got stuck there as a kid because both of my NES controllers had like one flaky button and I couldnā€™t nail the input windows

1 Like

i think you might be conflating it with something else, because DD2 doesnā€™t have any run ability in it (DD3 does, though), but it DOES have unforgiving vertical levels which become kind of trivial once you know the rhythm.

i didnā€™t figure out that rhythm until i was an adult, though

6 Likes

I always loved Super Double Dragon Iā€™d probably sooner revisit that game that Final Fight

2 Likes

i tend to play Final Fight more than Super DD because doing infinite combos is honestly pretty fun, but i do think i enjoy the overall experience and pacing of SDD more. the JP version, Return of Double Dragon, is more complete and technically better in some aspects, but the US soundtrack feels more correct to me.

DD Advance is closer to the game the director of SDD actually wanted to make, but the quality-of-life improvements made to the controls make its difficulty too trivial to really make it stick

6 Likes

The sheer volume of (in many cases basically redundant) moves in SDD is kind of amazing. They just wanted to animate a bunch of sick martial arts and said fuck it

5 Likes

grabbing a dudeā€™s arm and then repeatedly kicking his head back and forth (in tandem with the deep thud of the SNESā€™s sound chip on every hit) is one of the most satisfying experiences to be had in a belt scroller

10 Likes

all this double dragon talk has got me thinking about Rage of the Dragons. that shit whips

4 Likes

Youā€™re playing on a Mega SG right? Believe there is a setting buried in there to boost bass on Sega CD games.

3 Likes

did you stick with genesis games as a theme or did circumstances outside your control make you stuck only able to play genesis games?

2 Likes

Concurrently playing Dark Souls 2 with Grandpa so I can help my bud.

The ps4 version, or my disc version specifically seems extremely glitchy. Fighting the heide knights is like fighting an invader in Dark1. They stand still Iā€™ll parry them fhen theyā€™ll teleport behind me and kill me. Getting lots of weirdness like that that I do not remember happening in the hundreds of hours I spent with Dark2 on ps3. Grandpa says he hasnā€™t gotten any of this.

I really like the middle of this game!

Spoilers to protect Grandpa

The Gutter owns. What a fun area. I love how short the area after it is before the boss, I love there ISNā€™T a boss for the gutter. The area after is such a constant fuck you to the player and yet keeps a level of fairness. It is really lovely in PS4 as well.

Then you have to go back to Majula happen to stumble by and meet the Miracle Lady to unlock that whole path. I love those woods with the skeleton cave followed by Harvest Valley then Iron Keep. Hell yeah!!! Jabba The Hutt. The mass skeleton fight. Canā€™t wait to own those samurai.

I think the callbacks to Dark1 work really well here. The themes of memory loss and decay and destruction of self Anor Londo itself, unrecognizable. Empires have risen and fall and the slow death by Undead remains. Destined to forget yourself or kill over and over to remain, and lose yourself in a different way. ā€œDrangelic? Iā€™ve never heard of it.ā€

I really think itā€™s incoherence and strangeness works in itā€™s favor. I am also admiring how much the environments are in absolute ruins and only these makeshift and side paths remain. Like you see the normal entrance, destroyed. Just stuck with these wretched remains and ladders and fallen pillars. I know that will fall off in the back half for castle after castle of empty square rooms with no,pardon the play on words, interiority.

8 Likes

nah, playing on original hardware (model 1) with an everdrive.

i tend to find playing videogames at least a little draining so sometimes after work iā€™m too tired to play something that requires an incredible amount of focus. the Genesis library is kind of a comfort food for me and it has more arcadey titles than the SNES. also, i just really love hearing the soundchip pumped through some decent monitors.

so yeah, beginning of week was circumstantial but then it was like ā€œoh wait this is all i wanna do rnā€

8 Likes

Actually loving the focus on Double Dragon ITT despite Final Fight having one of the most intimate AI dances (or reads) Iā€™ve ever encountered in these types of games

EDIT: Should do more DD for sure. Whatā€™s the difficulty like between arcade-console versions? Which are considered easier/more do-able for 1CC?

2 Likes

As a Market Expertā„¢ I can conclude this game was laser target at furries based on this screenshot.

This is a hot take on my part but I think Dillonā€™s Dead Heat Breakers might be the best game on the 3DS. Better than Animal Crossing (because you get to be an animal) and better than one of the several Fire Emblem games based on writing. Donā€™t At me, Iā€™m right.

10 Likes

My fav Double Dragons are the NES version of 2 and the gameboy Double Dragon 2. For the original first I go to the Master System version, seemed a little easier.

4 Likes

Playing the new Brigandine PC port. You wouldnā€™t think 60 FPS would matter for a turn-based strategy game but man does it make the flags on the world map animate all nice and smooth. Also the mouse support isnā€™t perfect since some of the menus are still definitely designed with controller flow in mind but just getting to navigate bases and order troops around with a mouse is great.

Thereā€™s a new create-a-scenario mode in this version but you have to beat the game once to unlock it so Iā€™m just speedrunning that.

4 Likes

oh this is out now? nice
very pretty
edit: oh early access