Games You Played Today ver.1.22474487139...

How many notes you’ve taken?

Played me some games.

Spent about half an hour or so with Kamiko. It’s…neat! Kinda nice to find a game with very simple mechanics that you can intuit quickly and just, y’know. Play. Also it’s been on my Switch since probably the first day I got it, so it was about time. I’ll probably finish this run, dunno if I’ll bother with the other characters.

I also beat Framed last night, which was alright? Always appreciate some decent rotoscoping, real or simulated. Probably burn through Framed 2 so I can delete this collection and free up the meager space on my Switch.

4 Likes

I’ve been breezing through Dark Souls III with 40 strength, 40 vigor, 10 everything else, a Heavy Great Club+8, I have one more throne to fill in Firelink before ??? happens. This is the furthest I’ve ever gotten in the game and I’m only about 15 hours in.

No guides have been consulted this playthrough. I’m supposed to find someone in the “deepest cell in all of Lothric” but I pretty thoroughly searched all of Irithyll and all of Irithyll Dungeon and haven’t found any bosses. I also know there’s supposed to be some candle wax room I think the Cathedral of the Deep, so I’m gonna go back and retrace my steps. Also, I bought the key to the tower behind the shrine, but I can’t manage to find where to use it, so that’s another mystery to solve.

At any rate, I’ve beaten the Crystal Sage, Watchers, Wolnir, and Yhorm. I’ll gladly accept any vague hints about what to do next, so long as I’m not getting explicit information from a wiki page or walkthrough.

9 Likes

got a couple text files, and i been saving nearly everything in the games text saver app

Continuing to make the most of unfettered downtime as the year winds down:

Polybridge is a fun, relatively gentle engineering challenge game about (you guessed it) building bridges. I would make a terrible engineer.

The Mooseman is a sidescrolling puzzle game/walking simulator, which takes its basis from Komi mythology and tells the story of the creation of the world and/or how it is that the sun rises every day. It’s not a very long game, but it does feel a bit long because it has a very plodding pace.

Quake – still thrilling, still tense, even if I have foggy memories of a lot of it from 25 (oof!) years ago. Will probably pick away at this a few levels at a time until I get through it again. How blissful that the levels take less than 10 minutes a pop, at least in the first episode. Just zip right on through!

6 Likes

Project Warlock gets my seal of approval. Nice to play one of these throwback shooters that isn’t a direct homage/ripoff and is instead a melange of influences that forges itself into its own thing.

Virginia just proved to me that walking simulators instantly extirpated themselves as soon as they were invented, no one will ever top Gone Home.

3 Likes

except kikiyama

2 Likes

I think some stuff like this is a result of it being a sequel where they assumed everyone who plays 2 would’ve played 1 so they spend less time explaining returning systems since there’s also 900 new systems in this one. It’s kind of a ‘late to an mmo’ feeling of overwhelming systems but you totally can just beyblade your way through the game and still have a lot of fun.

The funniest thing in the game to me is that each weapon has a fairly sophisticated movelist with specials that you can pick and choose to assign to specific button combos, but mastery of the movelists is almost entirely useless outside of specific 1v1 scenarios that rarely show up in the ‘main’ game.

1 Like

You can’t Gone Home again

5 Likes

since the year is wrapping up… i made a tweet of game recs from 2021 but i’m locked so i’ll post it here:

basically just collecting stuff i’ve played or other people’s recommendations that looked interesting in one place. because i haven’t played everything, don’t take everything on here as a personal endorsement. it’s more of a “hey, maybe i should check this out” list.

16 Likes

id talk about all the game si beat this year, but i lost that list when my old phone died, so all ill say is skip ys 8

7 Likes

Ys 8 more like Pees Hate

5 Likes

there are tons of worthwhile walking sims. i think it’s an underrated genre overall. esp people’s weird fever dream projects that are the kinds of stuff that are on itch.io or the margins of Steam. i don’t really differentiate between the prestige ones and the just people messing around in Unity ones… but i’d def not put Gone Home at the top of my list (nor was it the first). even stuff like Crypt Worlds (okay, got some personal bias there but whatever) came out the same year. Virginia is whatever though.

10 Likes

They were charging like $28 for a pizza pie in Virginia! In like 1988!! The fuck was going on there what the fuck!!!

14 Likes

TWENTY EIGHT DOLLARS

15 Likes

ys viii is shorter and better than the witcher 3 tbh

3 Likes

How is Forgotten City? I don’t love the “skyrim mod” aesthetic, but I’ve heard it’s an interesting play on outer wilds/groundhog day-esque games.

seems cool! watched some footage/reviews and the way it tries to like be this space of dialogue between a contemporary perspective and how people would see things back in the Roman Empire is interesting. have not played it though. like i said above - take the recs with a grain of salt because i’m def not able to play/purchase all of these.

Ah gotcha. It seems like a very ambitious mod turned standaone but a bit not weird enough to totally sell me

I can mostly vouch for “If on a Winter’s Night Four Travelers”, for what it’s worth. It’s less of a point-and-click adventure game and more of a visual novel, but the pixel art and general atmosphere are quite well done. It’s free and <2 hours long, so not a big investment

2 Likes

can you even fuck in Ys 8?

7 Likes