Games You Played Today ##RELOAD

Pretty much, yeah.

Yeah, still waiting for them to redo the levels round the new movement. It’s kinda nice being able to get to all the little secretish areas so easily, but makes them all a bit less interesting.

There’s a wiki that really good (insofar as it’s updated and has lots of info), and I don’t know how I’d play the game without it. It says where all the parts and mods drop and stuff: http://warframe.wikia.com/

You eventually reach an open world area, near the end of the game.

I started playing Telltale’s The Walking Dead this afternoon. It’s pretty alright. Miles better than their Jurassic Park game, at least in terms of gameplay. Now I’m on the fence about maybe picking up Tales from the Borderlands since it’s megacheap on PSN right now.

i popped in metal slug complete this morning and butted my head against the wall that is metal slug 1 for a while, getting farther than i ever had before but still unable to make it through the final mission. i watched a video of somebody doing a 1-life run of the entire game and learned a lot of little tricks and i beat it on my second try afterwards! normal difficulty, 10-credit limit. lots of room for improvement!

then my roommate asked me to try resident evil revelations 2 with him and we had a pretty good time. the split-screen is done terribly, leaving about 1/3 of the screen area unused and making the play area for each player really tiny. i’m still trying to put my finger on what the game feels like, it’s definitely slower-paced than resident evil 4 or 5. still very actiony, but much sparser enemy and ammo placement. one player controls a character with guns and the other controls a helper character that can actually do some pretty neat stuff: revealing hidden items, stunning enemies/pointing out their weak spots, and opening special boxes with a neat lockpicking minigame. i was worried the asymmetrical co-op would make it really boring for one player but it’s pretty fun to play as either. we’re switching every chapter and it works for us. story is pretty goofy, not really scary at all (and there have been some unbearably goofy lines hearkening back to re1’s famous one-liners) but the atmosphere and environment of the game make up for it a little bit.

I can reliably 1-credit the first metal slug – hadn’t done it in years but I was at ground kontrol in portland and managed it a month ago, so I guess you don’t forget – and I’m not particularly good at shooters, so I actually don’t think it’s too tough if you play it enough.

if you can get past the stage 3 midboss and/or the part of the final mission before the bridge explodes without losing a life, you can 1-credit the game. the first, second, fourth, and fifth levels aren’t really even that challenging once you’ve gotten into a good rhythm.

X is a better game in the long run, for the first one is really pleasantly easy for what it is.

Gravity Rush Remastered is a Vita game in 1080p running at 60 fps and everyone should buy it like sane people in a couple of months for 30 bucks so Sony will actually care about GR2 in the West. with that said, it plays like it was always meant for a controller instead of a handheld and being able to evade without swiping on the touchscreen is a godsend.

So I basically got what I wanted for Christmas, even if I paid through the nose for that CE.

1 Like

Neko Atsume just really makes me miss Viva Pinata a lot.

I assume blood potions are good.

DEAR LORD I can’t even play that game poorly without getting a blood clot in my funny bone. SHOW ME YOUR SWEET PRO GAMER TIPS.

Did anyone else grab the Ghost in the Shell COD clone?

or was I the only sucker MC on that one?

Though it’s been pretty darn fun.

I found a cafe-arcade that has 4-player Wangan Midnight 5 setup for $2 a play. That’s half-price everywhere else I’ve seen it, and that is nuuuuuuuuts.

They also have Battle Gear 4 Professional, a game with more “realistic” handling and a god-damned six-shifter and clutch.

Happy. :3

1 Like

I sat down to play Grow Home. Which is definitely not the 2 hours some website said it was. I think it took me 5 in total to reach fake ending. True Ending would involve this wonder around and grow stuff game become an exercise in navigating the whole world hoping to maybe find 7 thingies. That did not sound like my idea of a good time.

It was pretty great up until that point though!

finished re revelations 2 with my roommate last night – it has a lot of frustrating elements to it but if you have someone to play co-op with it would be a good way to knock out 8 hours or so. i don’t know if it would be worth it single-player. i enjoyed the environmental puzzles that were pretty simple but required you to have both characters cooperate in order to find a new gun or ammo expansion or whatever. it’s not that they were challenging and stimulating, but it definitely broke it up and made it feel like we were doing more than running from point a to point b and killing whatever we found.

other than that, i’ve been playing the first kaido battle game (aka tokyo xtreme racer drift) and i can say without a doubt it has the worst physics and worst ai of any racing game i’ve sunk considerable time into. the car will -never- control in a way that feels good or natural, no matter what parts you change or settings you tune. and i am pretty sure that instead of considering the car as a mass with four wheels, the physics engine just kinda pivots you from the rear of the car. the ai has absolutely no idea you exist and is more than happy to barrel into you from behind when you’re braking for a hairpin and slam you headfirst into the wall. it sucks because i know the game kinda wants to be taken seriously (as serious as a genki racing project game can) but the ai requires you to drive like you’re playing burnout if you want to win tough races.

i’m a huge sucker for the game’s simple exposition (you are a nobody racer entering the mountain racing scene, work your way up through the ranks and defeat the fastest racers) and the flow of the game is acceptable – do solo drift races during the day to earn credits, upgrade yr car, etc, then switch it to night time and troll parking areas for people to race. there are really charming graphical touches such as “prepare for struggle” popping up when you begin a race or your rival’s brakelights trailing in a stream behind the car. the soundtrack is horrendous, i keep it muted and play wangan midnight maximum tune soundtracks off my laptop in the background (@HEAVYVIPER how’s wmmt5? i’m jealous!)

i hate the game for what it could have been if it had only had better physics and ai, but i still really enjoy what it is. i’d rather have this than nothing at all!

1 Like

The key is finding the character you are comfortable with so you can recognize how much damage they put out and their effective ranges and then learning how the enemy waves of a stage go and combining that info into an S+ run. For instance, I did all but 3 S+ clears with Coral, who has no range but can do fun stuff with bullet deflection and instantly exploding tougher enemies. I think Cactus or Lemon are good go-tos since their main weapons have all the range and decent damage and their alts are stupid strong. I dunno if you unlock Liquorice from beating the game or S+ everything but she’s fun too (weak main with a stupid strong alt).

And time. Lots of time.

edit: You should also get the timing down on weapon switch-dodging so you can go through lasers or huge swaths of bullets without dying.

1 Like

Beat that recently! IT seems like a distillation of everything people would like FF for.

The main interesting feature is EXTREME VS. MODE. No turn indicators, the distance to both the finish line AND your opponents is hidden, and the course is reversed. It also introduced a new course - Mt. Taikan - which is basically Hakone on speed, with traffic.

They also added a shitton of new cars, which you can browse through here.

Also more Koshiro:

1 Like

sounds sick, viper. hope i can try it out sometime – i’m very bummed they’ve never done a console port of the maximum tune games like initial d did with arcade stage.

i’ve been playing the first devil may cry, and the biggest thing that sticks out to me is that dante’s walking animation makes me feel sick. like, at the end of one stride he will pause for a split second until his other foot kicks off the ground. it feels like when you’re trying to run in a dream and if i focus on it i start feeling really weird. ugh.

combat is enjoyable, it felt pretty stiff at first but i’m getting the hang of it and it’s getting more fluid. so far the game is just a series of fetch quests (find this key, open this door, find this artifact, dispel this barrier, etc etc etc) punctuated by rooms full of enemies and some bosses. even the regular enemies can pose a bit of a challenge, at least to me, so it keeps the game interesting despite its structure.

setting is pretty cool, some wonky hell castle on an island that gets weirder and weirder the deeper you get. very early ps2 era graphics, but i’m into it. i’ve been dying quite a bit, but i’m steadily making it through!

Warframe has again enough new stuff that I have that vaguely cozy feeling of not knowing exactly what’s going on on screen.

CODBLOPS The Third is on free weekend (well, the multiplayer). I like that the release version runs a lot better on my system. I like the movement in theory, but in practice, something just feels ever so slightly off. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but it bugs the hell out of me. Sitting it out until I can get a looksee at the mod support Treyarch is promising and the stupid things people will do with it.

Grabbed Reaper of Souls on PC, ran one of my old monks up through act 5 to unlock adventure, then brute forced my way to 70 on a seasonal character. Just have to get 2 more legendaries to complete the ~seasonal journey~, which I would’ve done by now but I took my internet crapping out midway through a greater rift boss as an ill omen.

I’ve been playing through Shadow Complex Remastered over the past few days as it has finally gotten a PC release and is temporarily free.

I think the oddest thought I’ve had playing it is that the somewhat generic military base design of things is oddly fresh here as I don’t think I’ve ever played a Metrovania that went with that before. There is also a part where a section you had been through before is flooded and you now have to swim through it; I think I am always a sucker for when games do that.