Games You Played Today ##RELOAD

I’ve been playing GG Xrd Revelator basically every day since I got it a month ago

It’s basically the only fighting game in like a year that’s been able to top my insatiable urges to play SSF2X. Guilty Gear as a rule is one of those games that looks like a fake game you’d see a TV character playing

Danger Time, I love you, but you are the actual conceivable worst mechanic in any fighting game since Hokuto no Ken

Haha praise and hate. The sign of a true fighting game. I still can’t get over how magically gorgeous it is.

1 Like

When I got Sign back in the stone age I was still messed up about this “3D reveal”

Guilty Gear has by far had the most graceful transition from 2D to 3D out of any fighting game, honestly

2 Likes

Parrying in Third Strike?

Parrying is just a beefed up instant-guard, I see little wrong with it other than complete knockback mitigation

It was a lot more tame in 2nd Impact

1 Like

Yea, I used it as a popular argument for why Third Strike is considered a “bad game” in the fighting genre. I don’t agree with it myself.

I think the parrying system is akin to the yin yang of countering attacks. Yin = parry, yang = block.

Blocking starts out in the early parts of a match typically.

Parrying (if the player is initiated) is used more near the end of a match when someone is on the losing end.

Parries allow for non-linear victories to happen. Most of the pros can’t see that unfortunately.

1 Like

My only argument really is that parrying very much bolsters traditional mindgames in Street Fighter. It forces your opponent to think more about hitconfirming and whether or not you’re prepared to parry, since it’s something that can always happen at no cost.

It’s similar to how combo breakers work in Killer Instinct, or alpha counters in SFA–your opponent needs to be prepared for them to happen at any time, and that mental preparation can help you counter it. In SF3’s case, that means throwing out high/low mixups, setups that are difficult to parry, confirming with safe attacks, etc.

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware that 3rd Strike was ever considered bad. Most of the FGC gang that I have ever hung out with always considered it to be “god like” status. Street Fighter V on the other hand has been bashed until the cows come home.

I could never really get into Ark Systems games, if my core group played them I would probably force myself to learn them but KOF, Street Fighter and Tekken dominate in my group of peeps.

Side note, KOF14 is great if anyone hasn’t played it yet.

I don’t have a PS4 unfortunately but if I did I would be all over KOFXIV. I play mostly ST but I also can be found in the KOF98 lobby on fightcade (username is still ferrets) if anybody wants to hmu. Fair warning: I’m very very good at ST and very very bad at SNK games

Yea my bad, I was exaggerating to a point. I’m more so talking about a certain clique of pros who consider it “objectively” bad. Ya know, guys like David Sirlin, Viscant etc. Those guys would consider Super Turbo analogous to chess to some extent. My argument is that they can’t see that Third Strike is analogous to backgammon to some extent.

Chess = strategic determination.

Backgammon = strategic adaptation.

And so it figures for the aforementioned fighting games by comparison.

Even when you know “the secret” and some of animations are dead giveaways, it’s still stunning just how close Xrd comes to looking like 2D animation.

On Third Strike… to be honest, I’ve never actually been “good enough” at the game to speak from a position of authority, but I never liked how parries largely eradicate the threat of the fireball. It’s pretty trivial to parry the fireball, and unlike having to block it, jump over it, or neutralize it with your own fireball, the parry leaves you at an advantageous position. You can’t chuck a fireball at someone in 3S to try and get them to move, or lock up so you can move – they’ll just absorb it for the free meter and move up on you. There just aren’t enough restrictions on when and how you can use the parry to keep a single hit fireball as anything other than an “idiot check,” thrown out for variety while the players are closing the gap to close-in footsies range, where the entire game happens.

My favorite move in Guilty Gear is Stun Edge YRC, if that tells you anything.

1 Like

For someone who loves ST, Sirlin certainly had a hand in botching it for HD Remix. It’s impressive how someone can screw up one of my favorite games so badly by “improving” it. Also, “fixing” ST Honda is a travesty

[quote=“botagel, post:5028, topic:68, full:true”]
I never liked how parries largely eradicate the threat of the fireball. It’s pretty trivial to parry the fireball, and unlike having to block it, jump over it, or neutralize it with your own fireball, the parry leaves you at an advantageous position.[/quote]

While this is very true, parrying projectiles doesn’t cause hitstop. You still have time to walk up, close space, whatever, you just can’t follow it up with pressure. Again, in the case of projectiles, it’s like a stronger version of blocking. And it leaves both players at a more neutral state than putting one or the other at an advantage, really. If someone parries a fireball at fullscreen then there’s really no harm done and the parrying player exchanges a little bit of time for some frame advantage. It’s like a tradeoff. Conversely if someone parries a close range fireball then the other player is a fool for not hit confirming in the first place.

To be honest, if the game had only red parries and removed blue parries, I think it would be totally fine and few people would complain. There would be little functional difference from a guard cancel. Alternatively if parrying cost meter it would be less of a threat.

2 Likes

I’ve very hopeful that Ultra SF2 reverts a lot of changes in HD Remix, because I’d like to be able to play an official online version of ST without the ridiculous balance changes. I know that there’s a “classic” mode but having to switch between balance modes isn’t intuitive and the default game is still the “remixed” mode. I feel like the primary competitive version of SF2 is still going to be arcade ST unless Ultra SF2 really does something to draw in players.

And I don’t consider Violent Ken to be that, because nobody cares about SVC Chaos

Not really into SF4 but I think the focus attack/EX fireball dynamic worked pretty well at making fireballs still feel potent and useful while giving defenders options to mitigate them. In SFV, roughly half the cast has “here is a more situational parry/fireball counter tool” as their V-Skill, which makes me think that maybe Street Fighter is just not the series for me, since I wanna chuck plasma at range, and also that V-Skills are kind of a failure of a concept.

Play ST with me on fightcade and chuck plasma without recompense

Also KOF98 Athena is really good for this

I could take or leave danger time myself though I guess that’s because I play a character that has a decent time with it when it triggers. I like the drama it can bring to the match but it’s a shame how some characters don’t have the frame data to use it in most instances like Pot. I feel danger time would be better if it was systematized and less RNG. Ex. be an unseen meter that builds off of each clash in a match and build that meter faster as the players have less health or time passes or have a three tier indicator on the ui with 1 being low chance, 2 50/50 on clash and 3 saying the next clash will start a DT.

1 Like

problem with parries is they basically obliterate the projectile game in any meaningful sense, forcing all matches to be played at ~2.5 char widths or closer

projectiles are genuinely interesting and not explored well enough (edit: oops)

also sirlin is a creep and full of it and everybody should toss his stuff out the window

he’s also a fucking plagiarist but only folks in the board game scene are aware of that

also all of his board games are shit and the only good parts are stolen from other games without even crediting the original designers.

2 Likes

his entire shtick for everything he has ever designed is Bluffing

that’s literally the only thing he ever does of any note in his game designs

see also: ryu fake fireball

2 Likes