Games You Played Today ##RELOAD

They definitely still do this in 0. I’m not sure how they justify repeating everything three times given that unlike film they have to painstakingly animate every single sentence carrying redundant information…

1 Like

0 is actually not too bad about this until the last quarter, it seems like they were careful to avoid it for the most part

I have very little trouble believing that 0 is objectively the best yakuza game so far

1 Like

I do wish they’d done something about some of the third-tier NPC character models for the PS4 release, though, because some of them (the hair especially) are really gruesome. most of them don’t spend a lot of time on camera but the homeless guy you become friends with and some of the thugs delivering their pre-battle spiel are egregious.

otherwise it holds up perfectly well for a PS3 game in 2017, the 720p30 -> 1080p60 upgrade doesn’t make nearly as perceptible a difference as the additional DoF pass, and the environments are cleverly low-poly but otherwise great

1 Like

God yeah some of the hair textures are atrocious

This is true indeed. 3’s best plot moments involve an orphanage and the CIA, and they are both exactly as silly as that sounds. And none of it matters.

The only reason I care about the removed stuff in 3 is howclumsily it was removed. I don’t actually want to play Mahjong, but jesus, the quest where you are supposed to play Mahjong, they just have you go to the place where you would play Mahjong, only nobody is there and you just pick up an object off the table where you would have possibly played Mahjong. It’s just such an obvious chop job that it is silly. It’s stuff like that, where I am suddenly like oh OK what the hell? Especially for things that were in the previous game so had largely already been localized.

Yeah, this is one of the reasons that the Yak0 thing is weird to me. About the only plot thing that carries over in Yakuza games is the characters, and magically that is still true in Yak0, so it’s strange to view it as being a perfect entry point for not being a sequel, as it does the exact same sequel things every other Yakuza game does in relation to the previous ones.

Yeah, sadly this is a holdover of the engine having to be one ps3 and ps4, and the team being stuck on an annual release schedule so they don’t have time for the details like that. But anytime they make you interact with any of them for an extended time, it is really apparent that they are just ps3 models, especially when they have to stand next to Kiryu or Goro.

This is also how I feel about 5. I took a year long break after getting near the end of Saejima’s part, then when I got back to it I binged all the way to the end skipping the substories and felt like I would have enjoyed it more if I spread it out like an ongoing TV series.

A Yakuza-focused version of this AnswerXAnswer quiz show arcade game was included in 3/4/Dead Souls but did not make the cut and after watching it I can understand why Sega ended up deciding hell no our localization budget won’t cover this.

1 Like

Sometimes I forget I got to shake Nagoshi’s hand. He had a good handshake.

3 Likes

Yeah, I really don’t mind them cutting stuff that has no bearing on the main plot of the game, but the problem with 3 is that they then left in the hooks for the cut content (like the mahjong quest) and it just is so silly and shitty. It doesn’t ruin 3 really, but it does just make me go “ugh” and move past it. Like if you are going to cut it, cut it all the way.

man i’ve been watching the first two seasons of adventure time w my partner and idk if it’s just the versions available in AU but so many episodes will have the most jarring cuts where there was like, a butt, or a kiss, or something? it’s weird and gives me the same reaction

2 Likes

For a week the only game I’ve played has been Chrono Cross. I’m getting deep Baten Kaitos vibes from this weird-ass game. The battle system is great (once I figured out that I could switch party members and didn’t have to roll with whoever I was given) but I haven’t really gotten close to losing any battles. Except for the dwarves. Fuck those dwarves.

I murdered a hydra and probably destroyed an entire species that way, so that’s fun. I’ve missed way more party members than I have. Guile has a shit element grid but makes up for it by doing the most damage in a single turn.

I’m weirded out by how much the game lets me do while still remaining fairly linear. Like, someone told me to visit a hermit on an island before going into the fog and I was like “uh fuck that” and went into the fog first and got captured by pirates and also ghost pirates and like??? It’s shocking.

3 Likes

Is there a thread like this one for movies/TV/anime? Something where people can just blurt out some sort of thoughts on something they watched with out committing to a full thread/topic on it like we do here for vid cons? I am thinking of making the thread but just want to make sure I am not stepping on any toes. I also need to come up with a witty topic name which I don’t know if I have the power to do.

Is this even the right place to ask this question? I don’t know.

Cartoons, TV Party and MUWT 2 threads in the Cinephile Showdown forum

We are not good at consistency here.

I’d be disappointed if we were

CC is a surprisingly good game which has the unfortunate problem of being branded a successor to Chrono Trigger so fans yelled about how bad a CT sequel it was

Square was experimenting with battle systems more than basically any other rpg maker in the PS era, it was wild

1 Like

Thanks!

I played a touch of Hyper Light Drifter to show my friend what it was all about. That is a damn fine game. One of these days I should just sit down and explore in that world a bit. Feels really good to slash stuff in that game.

Best summer game.

And that soundtrack. I always thought it was begging for a Brink of Time treatment. I’d import that CD from Japan for 30 dollars.

1 Like

Do certain fans hate CC bc it didn’t feature the exact same cast and have a techno remix of Frog’s theme or what

Do you know about this

1 Like

well, that and it’s a sequel to one of the tightest, breeziest JRPGs ever made, and for all the great things about it, it is not at all tight or breezy

it’s also pretty darn clumsy with all of the plot elements carried forward from the first game, they’re consistently the worst part

for what it’s worth I adore chrono cross, though I do find it a lot less replayable than final fantasies of the era because the battles don’t really work while holding the fast forward key

like it’s a good system but it’s an easy game and it’s hard to bring myself to care about a light versus a heavy attack at this point

I started a game of the Wii Fire Emblem but it was so drab looking. Played the demo of the 3DS one, and now I really regret using Virion in Heroes, geeesh.

Everyone can move really far it’s freaking me out.

1 Like