Games You Played Today ##RELOAD

I am a bit worried about A Nght in the Woods. The part that sells me on it is how unlikeable our protagonist, Mae, is. I can’t help but worry her thoughtlessness and general bone headedness isn’t an attempt at 20 year old immaturity and that her awful personality isn’t an attempt at ‘charming’ snark. Unless that becomes textual at some point, I do really enjoy the tension it creates. Both in a general story about unlikeable people way, and in a more gameplay orientated way. When Mae says, ‘Where does Angus work again?’ the game isn’t asking you to remember Angus telling may in response to a direct question five minutes of gameplay ago or get a hint somewhere of you’ve been away from the game for a bit, it’s telling you that Mae has no idea and you will be forced to go through the process of relearning it.

1 Like

i need to figure out if my laptop can run A Night in the Woods quick before hot takes ruin my first impression of it (this is not directed at you even remotely Birch, that seems like a cool take to me. it’s based on some twitter comments i’ve seen about it). It’s a gmae i’ve been psyched for since it was announced and i… don’t want it to turn out to be bad or something and not want to play it?

young 20-something ennui still resonates w/ me!!

Met up with some guys to play KOF 14. I am biased towards KOF but man is this game so much more fun than Street Fighter 5.

Been in the lab working on them combos from time to time.

Still Thumper and Pokemon Y here and there as well.

1 Like

There is No Game is a fun little game-jam thing that channels a bit of Frog Fractions maybe, along with Please, Don’t Touch Anything

2 Likes

Super Metroid, for the billionth time, and it has only just occurred to me that the colony station segment is a tutorialization of the entire game on planet Zebes.

Phenomenal.

That was 10 minutes well spent

Castlevania II for the Game Boy has taken a turn for the really quite impressive. Not having played any of the older games except for the original and IV, I can’t say which elements are purely original to it and which are taken from other games, but there’s a bunch of elements I hadn’t seen the series use before, which make the game really fun and distinct. I love how there are rooms in which the candles are actually vital for illumination, and that it’s necessary to consider how destroying enemies affects the environment.

1 Like

It’s really, really good. I spent a good five years checking for it at used game stores before someone got it for me for Christmas.

The soundtrack is amazing too.

1 Like

I’ve been watching Youtubes of the first Ace Attorney games instead of playing (or replaying) them. I am halfway through the second game. 1.5-2x speed Youtube is a pretty solid way to consume.

Did you know that in the Ace Attorney alternate timeline, today Feb. 23rd 2017 marks the start of the trial of Lana Skye for the murder of Bruce Goodman; the added content for the DS re-release of the first game and longest + most complicated trial in series history?

1 Like

CV Adventure is also better than general opinion would have you believe

1 Like

13 posts were split to a new topic: Choro Qties

nioh is kind of ok? the bosses are fun, but I’m on the fourth mission and the level design is, like, just “there”. it’s not clever in any way but it’s also not bad so it stands in a forgettable middle ground. I also don’t like to choose the side content from a menu. the dub is fucking great, though!

1 Like

man I hate how discussion of the few games I’m genuinely invested is regularly buried in this thread instead of their own threads

great sword use is one of the most fundamental ways to play monster hunter (as immobile non-aimable charges require understanding the behaviour rhythms and positioning of every given monster model and lacks any gauge maintenance or severe loss of mobility), and as such learning how to use it gives the fundamentals for playing the ridiculous contents of the whole series. level-3 head shots on enemies turning around!.. or, at least, requiring noticing specific range-base responses and potential combos and the timing differences between rage states.

in the leaked dlc-mining from the MHXX demo there’s only three base (normal-sized) monsters missing, and qurupeco being one of them is one of the greatest tragedies of what was meant to summarize the medium. that and how eight or so subspecies are such huge improvements over their base and their deviants.

I should actually play my untouched copy of Generations before Double Cross comes out, I guess. even if Stygnian Zinogre, Chaotic Gore Magala, and (one’s first dozen, solo’d) Apex Rajang stuck in 4U still seem like the best fights in the series, revisiting Alatreon again would be nice.

3 Likes

make a thread ya goof! if there isn’t a monster hunter general thread, there needs to be. if there already is, whateverrrr.

also that great sword talk is really interesting and makes me go hmm

1 Like

There was that thread for Generations that could probably be repurposed into a general one… or i could make a general one… idc

i would be so down to talk about MonHun. i am really really hooked on 3U. It’s… almost a perfect commute game, in that i can start a hunt at the beginning of my train ride, but almost always have to finish it in the kitchen (or bathroom…) at work, quickly, when no one’s looking. And the monster falls, and i fist-pump and silently cheer as i grab my coffee/flush the toilet

2 Likes

hey have i ever made a post about how i think we should have a regular generations group??

you all have made me get out of my bed to go charge my 3ds so I can play monster hunter on my transpacific flight

4 Likes

i’ve not been a fan of the megathreads since before neo-SB so yeah go ahead and make threads for everything i don’t care

i only like megathreads as casual hydra for more in-depth discussion to bud off into other threads.

2 Likes

I’d be happy to move the Choro-Q thread but I don’t think I can move responses