Games You Played Today Part 007 Goldeneye

92_yun_yang

Finished playing through Arcade (story) mode for all 44 characters in Ultra Street Fighter IV (PC/Steam). The stories are almost all as slight/cheesy as heck, the hitbox interaction feels fluky, and some of the characters I just hated trying to play / play against–but far fewer than I’d anticipated. And I kept going so I guess on the whole I was enjoying myself. ^ _^

Doesn’t hurt that it runs real fast

although hm I think it didn’t have a framerate limiter with vsync off so it was always running hot. Also the slow task switching really gave me an appreciation for the borderless windowed mode that’s all the rage now, which this doesn’t have.

Favorite memories:

Dan and Blanka hanging out on a boat in Sakura’s story (for some reason!)

52_d_and_b

, Poison forming a glam rock band guest starring Ken & Ryu on fireball special FX
81_madgears13

, and the glory that is the Mecha Zangief costume (oh yeah that was the final complaint on the tip of my tongue, that most of the DLC costumes are terrible ; )

mecha_z

. Don’t think I’ll feel any need to go back to it any time soon but I can’t say I didn’t get my money’s worth out of it. 45 hours, says Steam. = o

And that and me getting into watching Daigo play Ken in SF6 on Twitch and @Ymer mentioning there’s a SF6 Benchmark app

I gave that a shot (just to see, I lied to myself), and to my surprise

02_highest_fg

03_highest_res

my four-year-old mid-range gaming laptop kind of crushes it. Sooo then I thought I’d try the PC demo, months after bouncing hard off the PS4 demo

00_icon

and well I managed to persuade myself to buy the game, so I guess SF6 will be happening. It’s still a really bad demo though, in that you can’t even play a single player’s Arcade mode! But I actually sat through the Beginner Tutorials this time to get a slight grasp on the Drive Meter stuff, and I found myself having some goofy fun in Ryu vs CPU Ryu action in the uh Bull Drive or whatever gimmick match mode and VS CPU mode (this time CPU level 7 seemed pretty challenging, and lvl 6 pretty chill), so right there I’m already getting about as much out of it as I do out of 3rd Strike, so what the heck.

4 Likes