Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

I am pretty keen on the first one, but they seem to get worse each time the number goes up.

Can you elaborate on your preference for the first game? (Iā€™m not challenging you; I havenā€™t played it so Iā€™m curious.)

Are the exact requirements for the testicle shot related achievement more granular in 1?!

Iā€™m afraid there are no X-ray nad shots in the first one Shug.

I havenā€™t played any of them for a while, but I think my preference for the first is because itā€™s the most focused on snipering (I think I posted some comments on 2 when I was playing it again last year, Iā€™ll have a look when Iā€™m on my computer). 2, and the little I played of 3 seemed to be getting more into just shootmaning and seemed easier the less time I spent hiding and observing and doing other fun sniper things.

Billy Hatcher already doesnā€™t give you the slightest bit of leeway on the edge of platforms but combining that with having to roll a too small egg at just the right angle so it doesnā€™t fall between the bars of a rollercoaster railing with the ancient 2003 era inverted x-axis camera is too much and I hate the circus park level forever

2 Likes

Billy Hatcher was when I realized Sonic Team was irredeemable

3 Likes

i cant remember who it was (@meauxdal?) who was saying good stuff about Resident Evil 6 but wow this game is a centipeded body of straight up triple a excess. itā€™s a real good time.

3 Likes

heck yeah resi 6 is a lot of fun. the mechanics can get so unnecessarily deep.

RE6 is probably my favorite co-op campaign in games, ever? Some people love to harp about its flaws (I myself thought the game to be garbage when Iā€™ve first played the PS3 demo with Leonā€™s Chapter 1), but when me and my brother learned the mechanics on PC by playing Mercs a lot, the story mode became much more enjoyable. It always has got the mechanics backbone that allows you to pull of some sorts of crazy stuff in various contexts, so even when some trashy, half-assed ideas kept appearing, we kept laughing them off. Yeah, Sherry refusing to hide in a smelly garbage bin when followed by Ustanak is dumb, but itā€™s also hilarious when she does that theatrical gesture of refusing to follow your order. And when you eventually hit a chapter with a good setpiece, itā€™s usually damn good. Also, the story is still kitschy in all the right ways RE7 wasnā€™t (Leon and Helena accidentally murdering everyone in safehouse church, Sherry and Jakeā€™s love story with that pitch perfect ā€œletā€™s hold this magnum together, babyā€ climax).

2 Likes

i just discovered dark souls 3 has no cloud savesā€¦ the hard way

whatā€™s going on with gang beastsā€™ development? the game was better three years ago in its first alpha than it is now

how so? game looks cool and itā€™s in my shared library but i canā€™t play it because no local people

i finished grow home last night. got all the star seeds and 98/100 crystals. wonderful game

so naturally i bought grow up. i had constant 50-60 fps in the first game at high settings in 1080p, but the second game is 20-25 at the same settings. oh well, guess iā€™m playing in low/720, which almost musters 60.

grow up isā€¦ interesting. iā€™ll post more impressions as i play.

ā€œthatā€™s nice, if mildly inflated by the lacking competition during the early access times of dlc, but arenā€™t you the kind of person to go for top 25 overall through abusing further ranking inflation in deathless modeā€?

when I woke up after a night of making it to 8th there I had to grab an ice pack for my arrow-pressing hand so I am taking a bloody break from this being my default game

the Amplified DLC is successful at introducing more variety to runs, but the new zone 5 focuses on pressure like the pre-release climax of zone 3 instead of the heavy retaliation (and obfuscation) in the post-release climax of zone 4, and I am a roguelike fiendess over encounter design more than anything else so Iā€™m growing tired of the DLCā€™s limited focus on that field. would love it if hard mode introduced elemental skeletons or whatever instead of respawning enemies.

will probably be back when nocturna gets her new boss and I have a clean slate of rankings to more easily grab

1 Like

How has it changed? The extent of my exposure to it was limited to a week in February last year when I was at MAGFest with @Mothra, and it seemed like a hectic, skittish, twitchy good time, albeit mostly because of how unpolished it was. We did hit game-crashing bugs on a couple stages, though.

Yeah, four-player Gang Beasts local at the pre-Magfest hotel has become a yearly thing now. I legit cannot think of another game thatā€™s made me laugh that hard.

they had the core gameplay locked down (and the game just worked, and would loop through stages automatically) in 2014 and in three years theyā€™ve added broken netcode and bad customization options and made it if anything more difficult to get into the game; it feels more fiddly now for no real benefit. Iā€™ve been about to put it on at parties and had to revert builds more than once to get around some issue. just seems like itā€™s gone in a completely pointless direction when they shouldā€™ve polished and shipped it two years ago.

I know some of that is down to migrating from early versions of unity and such but even so itā€™s disappointing.

2 Likes

Upon further analysis, I have come to the conclusion that Virtual-ON: Operation Moongate is superior to Oratan.

It comes down to the extra mechanics seen in the sequel that undermines the playerā€™s ability to strategize in real-time, leading to stilted play.

Less is more as they say.

4 Likes

@dongle Turns out ā€˜last yearā€™ is actually 2014, but hereā€™s the tiny thing i said:

Maybe Iā€™m remembering wrong, but it sure seems to hold your hand a lot more. Feels much less free, and thereā€™s always a waypoint telling you how to precede. Also, as expected, the X-Ray style kills are pretty gross and rhythm breaking. Maybe I can mitigate some of these things in the options, though even turning off waypoints isn;t goign to make it any less linear. I think on Steam I called it a rock throwing simulator. You throw a lot of rocks.

my friend wanted to play ni no kuni so i took my ps3 round hers and we ended up playing through ~15 hours over the weekend.
still as bad a game as i remembered, but watching someone else cruise through it (especially when we switched down to easy mode) was about as good an experience i can imagine having with it.

2 Likes

After following the SB curator I learned of Hexcells Infinite. This game is great, I am heavily addicted and I feel like the puzzles are tapping into my brain.

3 Likes