Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

do it.

i might post in it.

if my computer hasnā€™t melted by next week Iā€™ll try it :slight_smile:

PROTIP - get a good assistant manager.

And then get them to at least do your press conferences for you.

Also MLS may not be the best league to start in. There are a lot of weird rules (for a European) that you wonā€™t find in any other leagues like the draft. If you understand these things then I will find your thread informative.

Run the largest database you can as more players means more cheap affordable players.

Running other countries leagues in your game also means more players and staff are available. Generally though you wonā€™t want to run more than the top two divisions in a country - for example I think the default setting for England is 4 divisions.

Also you need a mod for the J League.

I am certain this is my longest post on this iteration of the forum.

Ok thanks

2 Likes

ok this is all very very informative and also makes me feel like I should inform you that I will probably not be very informative myself

I do not know much about football manager or football but I like playing it and I like watching football

unfortunately Iā€™m running it on a surface pro 3 so I will probably not be able to make the database as big as I would like :frowning:

I know about various MLS weirdness through past career modes (that doesnā€™t mean Iā€™ve gotten any better at dealing with it, I just know what the rules are)

I should mention that I only play with fake players because it makes me feel like Iā€™m playing in a fantasy football land

1 Like

Oh hey, I got a sub-6:

Pic

(No idea how close to WR this is.)

I lost a cycle to the Venom Master, lost a couple more to Photophage, entered a couple fights with the wrong load out equipped, and have done/seen much faster fights against Invem Sophia and Central Gear. I consider sub-5 to be the most likely limit for Jason. (For comparison, the current co-op record is 3m53s.)

Chain lightning is a tad OP.

3 Likes

Fake players? Iā€™ve never known anyone that plays that mode.

But how do you force all your real players out after a few seasons for regens with names like muhammad Muhammad?

Also this might be cheating but before you start a new game you can use the editor to whack up a countryā€™s youth ranking - doing so means that Scotland will produce the highest potential players in the world.

Also, board request priorities should be facilities and youth recruitment then coaching and scouting team sizes. Under the responsibilities tab you should assign yourself to setting scouting assignments and to approve youth signings.

I never really figured out when I can even make board request priorities! every time I try to upgrade training facilities or youth facilities theyā€™re like ā€œitā€™s too expensiveā€ and deny me

Iā€™m also kind of curious as to how many responsibilities Iā€™m supposed to give myself ā€“ am I supposed to just offload everything to my assistant manager (provided theyā€™re a good one)? I kind of like the weirdness of having to evaluate everything myself but I also lose a lot so

i got usbloader to finally work on my wii so i sampled some wii games. Im really digging gundam ms sensen

ā€œCommitting atrocitiesā€ is my new term for playing Game Boy Tetris

4 Likes

Ferrets you are my favorite new poster

3 Likes

Tetris (World)_04

12 Likes

Finished Ys Origin. I dunno what I was expecting but the bad anime dialog and other bad anime miscellanea really irritated me in this one. I thought the second and third campaigns were gonna be twisted & mean based on Ys 1+2 lore, but itā€™s mostly the same thing with different characters that control differently.

An interesting twist is that the Solemn Dignified Pope wasnā€™t secretly evil in this. Iā€™d never seen that happen in a Japanese game.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been thinking about the (poorly framed) difficulty vs. accessibility discussion recently while I play Cuphead co-op. As far as I can tell, Laura Kate Daleā€™s Kotaku post was the flashpoint, but I think sheā€™s wrong about the game compared to Contra or Mega Man. Those are, to someone who did not play them as a child, absolutely about memorization in exactly the same mode as Cuphead. Iā€™m excited that Cupheadā€™s aesthetics have got more people into that type of game who can now go on to sample Contra III or Gunstar Heroes.

I like removing control barriers (e.g. thereā€™s no reason I need to hold the pedal to the floor in Mario Kart, c-stick smash moves are there for a reason) and generally think everything should be as configurable as possible, but I think something would be lost if you always had the option to trivialize the challenge in a challenging game. If you want to take in the sights and sounds itā€™s never been easier to do so through streams, but I would probably find Cuphead really boring to play hands-on-controller if I wasnā€™t dying constantly. Aiming with the right analog, yes, please. Itā€™s weird to me now that theyā€™re using the 16-bit style mapping.

2 Likes

right-stick, movement independent aiming wouldnā€™t be QoL, it would be a fundamental mechanics change and require rebalancing the whole game

compared to a number of run and guns, having a shift-turret button is already a huge QoL bump (compare to, say, Gunstar Heroes with its hardline playstyle choice at the start of a game or Contra HC with it having it on a toggle rather than as a shift)

edit: FIXED SHOT FIRE+LIGHTNING 4 LYFE

6 Likes

I was always a free shot double blaster man

the missionary position of gunstar heroes loadouts

4 Likes

Hmm. If I could have a weapon slot item that changes it to right stick control that doesnā€™t seem any more compromising than the homing shot. :man_shrugging:

the homing shot is weaker to compensate for the fact that you can move while using it, and this is ignoring the fact that the game lets you take two different weapons into fights. the game is very clearly designed around you either moving and shooting or standing and aiming and being able to do the simple act of moving left while shooting a strong weapon to the right has big repercussions on both boss and weapon design (itā€™s no small coincidence that weapons that do a bunch of damage also have a range or other weird property issue associated with them).

Cuphead is also a niche gameplay design wrapped in a surprisingly popular art style, and is selling far beyond its target audience. These sorts of expectation/design mismatches are inevitable. As a designer, Iā€™d swing for hitting the aesthetics I want to invoke over targeting a broader audience, knowingly consigning my game to a niche in service of the game I want.

I remember talking to the Brigador guys about niche control schemes on indie games. They ended up making a good talk about the subject (and subsequently found deserved success for their great game): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KdPWKDYfPE8

2 Likes

i got really mad at a rando from a dark souls group on facebook calling the enemy despawn mechanic in ds2 a ā€œcheap hackā€. i hate talking to people about videogames sometimes :frowning:

3 Likes

i still dont quite know how to feel about the despawn mechanic. It makes things easier for players who just want to empty a room permanently and do their thing in a level unmolested, but it also removes part of the predictable repetition and (if all else fails) grindability that i think is valuable to the series.

ultimately i think it ā€œworksā€ because of bonfire ascetics, which i think is a really excellent mechanic that iā€™m sad didnt carry over to 3 (i know partly because of the semi-concurrent development, but still!).

i dont want to make a whole thing of it for the umpteenth time but its wild to me that i still cant make up my mind on 2. For every decision i dislike, thereā€™s something really interesting and unique that i like an awful lot. (ascetics, power stance, hexes, your characterā€™s HP degenerating as they rot into a hollow.)

at your recommendation i bought and played Scholar some months back, and youre right that the enemy placement is way better (except for the aerie, which just adds a bunch of those annoying exploding mummy guys). i particularly liked the Dragon Shrine and its knights that are passive unless you try to flee from combat, and the Forest of Fallen Giants being less difficult and more dense with soldiers playing possum.

Its too bad i couldnt get into the DLCs they were just too hard for me ._.

1 Like