Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

alien hominid had that pda minigame that was better than the main game tho

2 Likes

God, I havenā€™t thought about Alien Hominid in fucking years

2 Likes

right??? but cuphead is so much in the same mould!

2 Likes

Having played a couple stages of Cuphead just now Iā€™d say itā€™s more than ā€œokā€ but yeah, itā€™s not the second coming or anything. It looks and sounds beautiful and I love the animation, which is basically the whole draw.

Comparing it to Alien Hominid is quite apt.

2 Likes

In another conversation, my one line review is ā€œnot as bad as Alien Hominid, but nowhere near as good as the Treasure games it wants to be.ā€

I just wish the devs played more Gunstar Super Heroes.

2 Likes

The difficulty level in Cuphead is a lot less bullshit than Alien Hominid though.

Things are pretty rough right now due to family health issues, so Iā€™m home alone this week, but as a reward to myself for meeting my goals, Iā€™m finally finishing NieR: Automata. I have all the endings except E and Y, so Iā€™m now finishing all the quests and collecting/upgrading all the weapons. Just a couple more nights until itā€™s all over.

1 Like

Somebody on my Steam friends list pick up Heat Signature so I can retire dudes and have their dumb named items show up in your games. One sentence summary is ā€œbreach spaceships and ruin their day in the name of liberation.ā€ Itā€™s a rogue-like that can be as easy or as challenging as youā€™d like and yes, you can suck dudes into space through easily broken windows.

Itā€™s by the guys who did Gunpoint.

The new Puzzle Fighter for mobile. Itā€™s worse, but still fun. Instead of winning by flooding your opponents screen, there are now lifebars, leveling up, and MOVEZ. Roster has some interesting choices. Oh, the unsatiable urge to unlock, how you ruin me.

This is a good take on Cuphead and lines up with my thoughts on it.

Arkanoid vs. Space Invaders is an excellent puzzler/shmup that is sadly hindered by the platform itā€™s on. On an iphone 5 the screen is just a bit too small to maneuver the paddle effectively on the harder difficulty mode. The screen on an ipad mini and above is adequate but after having played the game extensively the past couple nights it is apparent to me that my performance would be much more precise if I could just use a controller and not have to rub a dumb touch screen.

the thing that bugs me about cuphead is like, they have clearly been so meticulous and careful about all of the aesthetic details of the game and yet the protagonist is ā€¦ a fucking mugā€¦ withā€¦ a straw in it for some reasonā€¦ who attacks things by shooting gems out of his fingertips? itā€™s totally incoherent

6 Likes

me, through its initial announcement up til release:
ā€œwhy the fuck doesnā€™t he shoot coffee from his head-strawā€

4 Likes

I got a snes mini today, anyone else get one?

Also my copy of Yakuza 3 came in the mail yesterday, so far it definitely feels like a big downgrade from the ps3 games, although Okinawa is pretty nice

Iā€™m going to walk into Best Buy tomorrow morning and see if they have any left. Iā€™m hoping theyā€™ll have at least two so I can get one for myself and one for my nephews.

1 Like

and so are a lot of cartoons from the period

Cuphead is good. not great, but good. the run and gun levels are just awful diversions from the real meat and the idea that they delayed the game to add them is kind of insulting (this is ignoring some hitbox weirdness on some bosses, which you think they would have the time to smooth out but here we are)

to be honest, the game was bouncing off me initially, which I took as a bad sign, but it finds a nice groove towards the end. itā€™s not too hard either and Game Journalist Guy Who Is Bad At Cuphead should be ashamed on several different levels

also itā€™s super jarring to have all this nice, traditional animation going around at 24 fps while bullets and backgrounds smoothly pan across the screen at 144 hz but it could be worse

real edit: also the PC version is the new ā€œthis will run on lowest of low end everythingā€ good indie

3 Likes

oh, right, the CoD WWII beta thing. I played that too.

itā€™s alright, I guess. it has a mode where you do multiple objectives on a map in a row therefore I am legally obligated to like it

2 Likes

Man, Secret of Manaā€™s dialogue boxes are almost impossible to read and migraine inducing without the CRT filter turned on. Finally a use for those things

3 Likes

Shiren Vita is very very good but I donā€™t know if I can handle this roguelike world where success and failure are both mine and not my own fault.

METRO: LAST LIGHT is OK but I can see why I bounced off a few years back. Leans a lot harder on scripted bits that defy world logic for the sake of railroading, the bit thatā€™s forced stealth, etc.

Iā€™ve decided that Artyom is just super horngry and itā€™s interacting with all the ghosts and psychic shit in the metro so that boob was a hallucinated boob and I did not actually in canon get rewarded for saving my hard tough sniper partner with #toughhardsniperboning

yeah, I liked 2033 a lot, but the mix of stealth and not stealth really wore on me by the time last light came out, and itā€™s pretty hard for them to compete with neufenstein. Iā€™m afraid the new one is going to underperform.