Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

Overload is surprisingly honestly authentic (play the demo! it’s free!)

every other Descent-like (including that one from the ex-Star Citizen folks) missed the point

interested in Sol Contingency if it ever drops but it seems to be MP focused forever

to bookend my earlier impressions, RPS review of pyre is up and spot on

Is this just Reigns but different?

Yeah kind of but I found it very charming. It gets very repetitive after about day 100 so it’s not worth persisting by that point, and by then you’ll have “won”

1 Like

Super Mario Sunshine is a good game. I love whipping Mario around in the air. I also apparently remember where everything is despite not having played it since 2003.

1 Like

lots of Devil Daggers today.

I could play this game forever. There isn’t really too much to say about it that hasn’t already been said around here - a very intense memorizer that relies and succeeds on pure aesthetic crunch. I can’t grok it past 130 seconds so far, but it’s still really fucking fun and a joy to listen to.

you can watch replays from a top-down perspective which makes it’s twinstick-shootan influence really obvious

i wish i had dreams that sounded like this game its freaking gorgeous and terrifying

getting real into Stardew Valley but

1 Like

I tried playing some more Wolfenstein and again I spent more time fucking with video drivers than I did playing the game

Now it crashes to desktop randomly during mission 4 and the next “solution” is to start hand-editing video drivers

If stabbing nazis in the neck wasn’t so compelling I would have given up long ago

Yeah, it suddenly won’t boot up for me at all anymore. Forums say I need to update my video drivers.

This fucking game.

we need to do something about the way discourse messes with images

1 Like

beat pokemon moon and did all the postgame stuff. i didn’t really like it.

halfway through pokemon tcg for the gbc, now that i understand the meta of the the game a lot better than i ever did as a kid i’m plowing through it w no troubles. it’s still rly fun though!

getting back into iidx after taking a hiatus for the past few months, just did a tournament in the pc version and i’m currently ranked 281st in the world! wow! hoping i stay within the top 500 by the end of the tournament!

3 Likes

Man I was primed to be all snooty and dismiss Downwell as inferior to the lesser-known Probability Zero but they both have their merits. I feel like I’d want to do some kind of writeup on their contrasting approaches.

Fighting games are so fucking infuriating. After countless hours of blood, sweat and tears I’ve managed to become somewhat decent at King of Fighters 14, so I decided to play some Guilty Gear XRD as a palette cleanser. At first I was bowled over by the the spectacle of the game but after an hour or so in the challenge mode I can see why so many become frustrated with this one

Not only do the combos involve precise timing (typical of any fighting game), but XRD puts an even greater emphasis on height and depth when it comes to your characters move set. Slash a little too far from your opponent? DROPPED COMBO! Your air dash just a little too high? DROPPED COMBO!

It’s fucking madness, even for someone who loves sinking countless hours into these thankless wastes of time, XRD is meticulous beyond comprehension. How could a game with this much charm and energy be so godamn fussy?!

I’m loving every second of learning this game…

2 Likes

played about a hour of quake. i’m not liking it very much!! something in the speed and the impacts and how the levels so far progress just make me space out quickly. i can only play, like, a stage a day. that isn’t too bad either.

i also play doom – and by manner of association, devil daggers – in short bursts, but usually because those games offer me situations too intense too fast, which is quite the opposite, i think

i’m speedrunning shadow tower. if i get all my ducks in a row i’ll probably be able to approach/take the WR in a few months

9 Likes

I finally got around to Outlast 2. So, uh, pretty torn on this one.

On one hand, (cw) there’s a gender non-conforming villain (who, judging from concept art was explicitly a trans woman at some point in development) who kills babies and, uh, rapes the protagonist BUT! on the other hand it does maybe the best job of any video game of handling childhood trauma and the game ends with (spoiler) you holding the antichrist as the sun consumes the earth. Also, it’s the only first person game I can think of in which your character gets caught in a barbed-wire fence and that got a sympathetic gasp out of me.

Might have been one of my favorite games if the developers didn’t find trans/gnc people an amusing way to make twitch streamers uncomfortable in the vein of that dude with his butt out in the first game.

(I understand it’s a Cabal reference but it’s a shitty take on an already shitty character. )

Played Fable Anniversary to see what all the fuss was about. I never played the original. The character models are upsettingly bad and the combat is pretty dull and lifeless. Also, one of the default actions/emotions is being able to fart in front of people.

1 Like

ya well i mean farts can be pretty emotional

1 Like