Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

Dawn of Sorrow is my favorite Castlevania suck it nerds B)

Yo diplo. You played these games for so long how many of the NG+ modes are mechanically good or strong enough that they are worth talking about as independent.

Like that the game changes between playthroughs is really neat to me. Particularly know this was bigger in CoTM with Magician mode.

And the later ones where you unlock a Belmont.

This is true! I replayed the first bit of it recently-ish and realized how different it was from the rest of the castlevanias of the era. I actually really like the stiff animations for some reason.

But I got really frustrated trying to find a card or something and gave up on it.

I love the way the game opens with a gigantic fall into the basement of the castle, though. Very atmospheric.

Horribly utilized though. At first getting more than a few cards is a mess because of random drops rather than having them sitting around somewhere, but then when you get a larger set it turns out to be not so much an issue because only a few combinations actually do anything.

I’d really rather play almost any Castlevania over Portrait of Ruin

btw Dawn already had the partner mechanic and it was called the Doppelganger soul. And you didn’t have to bother with any undeservedly self-important Set Pieces to Prove that Mechanical Feature Exists either. Win/Win imo

Probably none of them, but also note that I never bothered with Ecclesia’s Albus mode. Of the ones that I did play I thought the best were a couple of Circle’s (it’s been so long I don’t remember which; it might’ve been the Thief and Magician modes) and Dawn’s Julius/Yoko/Alucard mode.

1 Like

Aria of Sorrow update: I am actually physically stuck inside this movable box.

5 Likes

I dont’ think you’re wrong, I think you’re looking at the wrong game to scratch whatever gaming itch you have right now. Sounds like you need a real deal action game.
Because those lock and key games are all about unlocking doors.

1 Like

The thing is, I like that kind of game. I would cite Metroid II and Super Metroid as some of my favorites. But even those games can be pretty challenging

I enjoyed SotN to some extent, so I just really would like another Castlevania game like that, but I’ve yet to find one

Been playing STRIDER 2014.

It’s very pleasant to jump and slash and run and I kind of wish it was just a straight action game and not a lock and key splatter.

1 Like

Ya everyone enjoys Super Metroid. It’s one of the best games ever made with an attention to detail very few games even approach.
Which is cool, but I’m just sayin’ :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I had a similar opinion and gave up very quickly.

Rockin’ Kats: Idk why I’d never heard of this before but it owns and weirdly has greater mechanical aspirations than most NES games I’ve played. By the second level it was casually doling out level design that seemed like ROMhack shit

Einhander: Damn this game is good. Just atmospherically perfect. Makes me want to go through the whole thing and take a thousand screenshots. Funny how the design reminds me more of a game like Shattered Soldier than any other shmups

Dimahoo:

Dynamite Headdy: Replayed this and… man, it’s so pretty and has such a great soundtrack, and the bosses sure do take too long and drag the whole thing down.

1 Like

i played some raw danger! i had to mess for one hour or two in pcsx2 for it to work ressembling decency, then i needed to use some cheats to fix visual bugs that make it unplayable. emulators still suck, it turns out!! :frowning:

for what i’ve seen the game is really cool though. in the begining you’re just doing chores working as a waiter in this fancy space. you are introduced to all major characters in snippets and when you start noticing something is wrong it all happens in a very seamless way by seeing visual clues, over-hearing conversations and characters traversing weirdly in the environment. it’s all really clever; like it’s the natural evolution of the “cutscenes happen while you play” thing in half-life.

the game also has these timely moments of silence and solace after the disaster happens, like by having your checkpoints in warm places you hang around drying your body and maybe cooking some food you caught somewhere and just by having to walk in these deserted, ruined spaces. it’s definitely a chill time

3 Likes

Einhander is atmospherically perfect and a game I can kind of play if I work a little. I think shmup people think it’s lame.

yeah because it was one of the last big-budget entries before the the genre got too inward-looking and pro complex

it’s great

idk if people think it’s lame so much as once you go (e:) black label you never go back

1 Like

ive got my 360 again and i so wish i could get mushihimesama futari or espgaluda ii or any of em

I don’t have a working 360 anymore and I do have a copy of Futari here. If you’re interested I’ll let it go for like, cost of international shipping (you’re in Canada, right?). I’d much rather it get played than sit here looking pretty.

2 Likes

i had a day off and it’s raining so i played darius gaiden and the dark souls 3 dlc

the vocals on the gaiden ost remind me of kate bush
fuckin’ love zuntata

4 Likes

No idea what this means