Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

the aug prison in the deus ex dlc is a fucking holiday resort. adam jensen wouldn’t last a day inside butcher’s bay

6 Likes

I liked it though cause it’s a flashback through a therapy session and at the end I talked the double agent guy you go in the prison to meet down from going Over The Edge and sympathized with him and everything was fine then when it cut back to the therapist she asked what I did and I said I killed him and she acted like that was good and fit with the reports after she had just got done talking about how memory can be unreliable, so that dialogue choice at the end accidentally made the whole thing more interesting by making it entirely into a fantasy about a bad case going down a better way.

also unlike the main game in the dlc you aren’t wandering through alleys for 30 hours on bullshit errands sitting through 5 minute subway loading screens.

let me tell you though it drives me nuts in cover shooting games, the characters pin their backs to the walls and away from their armed targets then have to spin-a-rooni around the corner. what a waste of time. b.j. blaskowicz is the only good cover taker because he’s in first person so they don’t need to show off cool back to the wall poses of the character, so he’s facing the right way and just peeks out guns first.

2 Likes

I played some of OG torment enhanced edition because I liked the quasi-sequel more than public opinion seemed to hold and I was pleasantly surprised that they got a non-Wine OSX and Linux infinity engine build for this rerelease

it is marginally more playable but I still can’t stand the combat or the visuals, and the word salad honestly isn’t any better than in the new one to me, maybe I’m just allergic to philosophizing and the new one definitely has less of that

Shooting first, mostly. E.g. Wolfenstein 3d is 100% hitscan. The gameplay revolved around peeking around corners and carefully entering doors to be at a good angle to shoot the Nazis before they react. The very slow turning speed and lack of strafing in the original game contributed to the challenge and meant planning is needed before entering new areas (the game is tense if played with the original controls, but a trivial romp if played with modern FPS controls).

2 Likes

Wolf3d had strafing though, just no dedicated buttons for the directional movement so it was more restricted, you had to hold alt and turning became strafing, so doing both at once was impossible.

One thing to note as well is the damage model involved the distance of an enemy affecting how much damage a hit did to you, making larger areas a bit more manageable than they would have been otherwise with hitscan everything.

2 Likes

retroarch’s modified mednafen PSX core that adds hardware rendering and upscaling has some of the most beautiful dithering I’ve ever seen

I don’t know what makes it so good (is dithering of 24-bit colour just really unusual in the first place?) but it’s incredible

Damage also depended how much you were around a corner or behind an object. There were lots of DnD rolls going on behind the scenes

I played Stories Untold. It loaded the start screen and froze. I alt-tabbed out, then my screen disconnected. I restarted the computer. It loaded the desktop. My mail software, skype or whatever. Then the screen disconnected again. I restart again and this time (and from then on) it doesn’t even load the desktop. I can see the booting up text and the blue windows logo loading screen, but as soon as that’s done, the screen gets disconnected.

When I say disconnected, I mean it doesn’t just go black, it goes into rest mode and says nothing is connected.

Whatever, no biggie. I restart in in safe mode. I can see everything in safe mode (albeit at the wrong resolution). The monitor is listed as “generic PhP monitor” or whatever. I re-download the drivers from the official website (It’s an Ilyama Prolite XB2783HSU, I’ve used it for years without issue). I restart, loads up, disconnects. I boot safe mode again. The device manager shows a little yellow triangle over the monitor drivers, but when I troubleshoot it finds no issue. In case it’s a graphics drivers issue, I download the older NVIDIA drivers (I have a GTX 550 Ti), the problem persists. I uninstall everything by nvidia and download the latest drivers, and the issue persists. I change the cable input, from DVI to miniHDMI, and the issue persists.

Here comes the weird thing.

I restore the system to a day before, when none of this had happened and was working correctly, and the issue persists.

PS: I had upgraded to Windows 10 just a couple days ago. Foolish, I know. Also I now notice my keyboard (caps and num lock) aren’t lighting up when the screen disconnects itself, so maybe all external hardware is being disconnected?

I’d heard Stories Untold pulled some real creepy, fourth-wall-breaking stuff, but this is a bit much.

Holy shit what a nightmare

is my motherboard dead? am i dead? grandma? is that you?

1 Like

GoNNER is lovely to look at, listen to, and touch

and dirt cheap right now

unfortunately the level and enemy design is really, really boring and I tapped out quickly. Your mileage may vary

2 Likes

yeah I had the same experience, played until I got to the second area type (maybe the third?) and stopped immediately, enjoyed it until then though

are your onboard graphics disabled? that sounds a little like it’s trying to change GPUs and fucking up

specific monitor drivers are generally never necessary, if they get installed automatically that’s fine tho

I don’t recall if they were installed automatically the first time, but my monitor did use to be listed correctly and wasn’t after the crash. the onboard graphics must be enabled because those are the ones that windows uses in safe mode I think?

I just connected an external hard drive through USB; it’s official, every single external hardware device is being disconnected on startup. Is it a virus? is it windows 10? who knows. the fact that restoring it to a previous version doesn’t fix it makes me think it’s a hardware issue. I guess I’ll open it up tomorrow and see if there’s anything visibly wrong going on there (I don’t know much about computers)

Played through the Krogan main missions in ME3, pretty rad. I love the weapon load out system in ME3. There have been some stand out missions in this game and all of the side mission stuff so far are way more fun and not throw away like the other games. Except maybe Jacob’s, that was pretty ho hum.

1 Like

boot a linux distro and run an fsck -yf on /dev/sda1 just for me, windows 10 corrupts essential parts of itself way too much in my experience, it might just be because I use ext2fsd but mystery bugs had never ever always been filesystem corruption before

it could be your mobo but there’s nothing that happened to suggest it and mobos rarely just go like that

windows doesn’t use “onboard graphics” in safe mode, it uses a generic VGA driver. by onboard graphics I mean the ones with the outputs located on the mobo rather than on your GPU; losing the main display after the nvidia drivers crash sometimes results in windows trying to initialize those. it seems like you may have some other weirdness tho

I need to work off my rust in KOF 98

2 Likes

Never got into the KOF games. I submit the best SNK fighter is Fatal Fury 3, despite most SNK fans sharing a unanimous disagreement with my opinion. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Can’t really argue as I’m not much of a fan of SNK fighters in general! I kind of just dislike the Fatal Fury series overall except for Garou (which is a brilliant game), but there is a certain point where Garou starts to feel like a KOF game with Fatal Fury characters instead of a Fatal Fury game.

1 Like

One day I’ll get into actually playing KOF. Until then I’m purely in love with SNK’s character designs. Terry Bogard might be the most quintessential brawler dude in anything ever. Fuck a double dragon. Fuck a jimmy, fuck a bimmy.

3 Likes