Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

Is that a Schiit headphone amp?

i looooooooove tiny pvms. thank you!

yes, a Magni 2. it does the thing or driving my phones while also being smaller than what I had before: a goddamn stereo receiver from the 80s

my experience of playing games on an 8" screen has shown me that the biggest thing I would want is probably in the 13" range. nice and portable, but still big enough for a sizable picture up close

Iā€™ve been getting energy back lately (thank god) and managed to beat two games. I canā€™t decide if Everybodyā€™s Gone to the Rapture is interesting or if itā€™s extremely boring and slow. Six hours is too long for a walking sim.

The other game was Retro Game Challenge 2 which I put off for forever and you know what? It was pretty delightful.

1 Like

This really clever, unique puzzle game called BABA IS YOU. It appears the gameā€™s author is planning on a much-expanded version of this and I gotta say I canā€™t wait.

IT IS SO GOOD

2 Likes

i wanted to give ffxi a go but i accidentally started playing starbound

hopefully iā€™ll lose interest again before too long

Hey I just started playing Starbound! Tried playing on survival mode for a while and I was doing ok but then I lost a bunch of core fragments by falling down a hole and dying and then I died on my way back to recover them.

So! Casual mode it is then.

So I played a little bit of ReCore last night since itā€™s on sale this week and I like what Iā€™ve seen so far. It feels good, mechanically. The jumping and dashing and light platforming combined with the shooting. The charged shot.

Uh, this game is Mega Man isnā€™t it? That just occurred to me last night while playing it. I was like wait this is a Mega Man game how did I not see that until now.

Anyway it feels good to play. Hopefully someday people outside the Microsoft-verse will be able to play it.

1 Like

Iā€™m playing the Crazy Taxi series to learn all The Offspring lyrics. Itā€™s going pretty well!

I just finished Crazy Pyramid mode in CT2. The last mission (where you have to stop by all 33 Small Apple locations in under 6 minutes) was hell and it made me fully realize how useless the GPS arrow is in this game. The simple ring structure of CT1ā€™s West Coast made it so that exploration was natural and never confusing, but here, they fully expect you to waste some coins while learning the city layout. At least the Dreamcast version lets you unlock maps for both levels and analyze all the routes. I wouldnā€™t finish the final challenge without that!

Honestly donā€™t know what to make of CT2. The added vertical complexity of Small/Around Apple is fun for discovering shortcuts, but it feels they could have done so much more with it ā€“ in current form, it only serves to make you find a few places where jumping saves time. Meanwhile, CT1 feels like it has much more variety with every zone/district having a different structure and feel, itā€™s simple, but well paced. Around Apple is better than Small Apple in this regard, but it still feels like a samey concrete jungle. Not to mention they both have some few places (like those narrow brick walls scattered around or small blind alleys) that are just meant to mess with the player.

Only Crazy Taxi 3 left to try out. Sadly, Iā€™ve only got the crappy PC version with unknown bands and terrible performance that completely kills the sense of speed. I could get the console port, but I would have to find a CRT to plug my Xbox into, and thatā€™s probably not gonna happen. Still, it already seems interesting how they expanded West Coast map to accomodate jumping (not so crazy about the way mountain areas in Glitter City look), and I canā€™t get enough of the series recently. The way it has me optimizing every aspect of the way I play every second, from parking as close to the customer as I can to boosting as often as possible without crashing or losing my combo, is just insanely addicting. Is there any other racing game that tries to give you a similar experience?

2 Likes

Truly appalling.

3 Likes

6 Likes

The Offspring were my fav as a teeeeeen so I recently went back through the albums. The quality drops off exactly where I remembered (roughly halfway through Splinter, completely dead by Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace), and the good albums whip back and forth between bangers and completely forgettable filler.

At least thereā€™ll always be Original Prankster, which is burned into my head as Narutoā€™s theme song.

americana was my favourite album in grade 6!

and one of my favourite delillo novels still

1 Like

the offspring occupies the same headspace hybrid theory does, you have to say goodbye to it as soon as possible, but you CANā€™T ever truly say goodbye to it

unless you never really said hello to begin with

(ok i liked ā€œcome out and playā€ when i was 12 but it stopped there.)

I kind of feel like the fact that the music itself has aged so awkwardly has only made the depressing resonance of the lyrics to The Kids Arenā€™t Alright with my own life and those of my peers feel even more authentic and poignant, so thereā€™s that

5 Likes

Iā€™m really enjoying Really Bad Chess, itā€™s the most Iā€™ve enjoyed chess in a long time

I just replayed the public prototype of Pirates of New Horizons and now Iā€™m off to have a good cry. Somehow the environment where Yooka-Laylee got one zillion USD couldnā€™t come up with $10k for a cute pirate girl with a flying cat? We haaates it.

plunking through lunkā€™s awunkanunk

feels good. so dreamy

3 Likes

It infuriates me that I canā€™t roll up stairs in Titan Souls. Like every time I bounce off a set of stairs (and there are stairs all over the fucking place in this game) I just get so mad. Pretty tite little game otherwise though, I guess. Iā€™mā€¦ whelmed.

1 Like