Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

(whoa I think that’s one of my first ever SB posts in that thread)
Wourme, thank you for recommending me Windosill and Glum Buster 8 years ago. I really liked those a whole lot. I should try Hammerfight.

1 Like

If you do try Hammerfight, be sure to turn mouse sensitivity all the way up if you find the controls difficult.

Fun fact: I could not get Hammerfight to run properly on its release but I later tried it again on a newer machine. After finishing the game, I created a thread about it on the old site in which I mentioned that I had revisited it on the recommendation of a friend. That friend was in fact the not-yet-registered-at-SB @Bee.

8 Likes

in the last stretch of P5, having killed the boss of the 7th dungeon.

a bit disappointed, even though he has a cool appearance, i thought they wasted a much more interesting character as a villain in that dungeon itself, but instead of making him interesting anyway, they caved completely into animuism

In the space of a few hours, I went from “I have never played Panzer Bandit” to “I am seriously considering paying $100+ for a copy of Panzer Bandit to covet for the rest of my life”

3 Likes

really? it’s good, but it’s like $20-40 good, not $100, surely?

I played it

it is beautiful

it is perfect

it is the platonic ideal of a beat em up in my mind

one of the characters is a robot with guns and lasers and grenades and also he’s smoking a cigar because fuck you, he’s a robot

3 Likes

3 Likes

isee

oh, well, that explains everything

guess it’s time to buy that PBBG Overdrive Switch port

4 Likes

oh shit they did mad stalker

oh yeah, there’s definitely a similarity in feel between asuka, panzer bandit and mad stalker

I played about 90 minutes of Vermintide 2 since a lot of my friends are and found it shockingly boring and joyless. The environments are bland, it’s poorly conveyed why you’re running (not very fast) from point A to point B and the melee combat is slow and mindless. I’m sure you unlock more interesting attacks and techniques but I have zero interest in engaging with the Diablo loot system and playing to get to that point when the game world is this uninteresting. It lacks any of the charm or freneticism of L4D while still having the gall to rip off the exact same special infected mechanics from it. Even with friends this was a Borderlands-level baffler to me.

tea time begins promptly @ 3:50

6 Likes

I’m finally working off my rust in DDR. Jumped up to double 10, where I want to be. I can clear Bag and most of the Paranoia remixes, except for Survivor, because fuck Survivor. To be fair, I’ve never tried it with speed mods

3 Likes

Is your technique the one where you grip both rails, one with each hand and don’t really put your weight on the arrows? The best Double player I’ve ever seen (I saw him get a AA on a 9) did that.

1 Like

That’s what I do.

But everything under 9 I try to no-bar because it’s more fun like that. White Lovers D8 is still my favorite chart in the game just because it’s a really relaxing and fun track.

Using a bar for slow songs makes me feel like a tool, and it looks much cooler if you can make it vaguely look like freestyling

1 Like

I never used learned to use the bar for anything. Never felt workable to me. It might be a function of mostly playing on lower quality machines where you had to slam the arrows really hard to be confident it’d register.

The best thing about Double is certainly that it feels more like dancing than the standing-in-place ever does.

1 Like

Definitely. To be honest, I first learned to play with a bar, but moving to doubles taught me how to play without it, because holding the bar felt awkward with moving around the pad so much.

I never liked holding the bar because it removed the entire balance element of your movement. It just felt like cheating. But it looked like the de facto way to play based on all the serious ddr players i’ve seen on arcade machines over the years. Did charts develop to account for bar hugging as the series went on?

1 Like

I appreciate the bar’s existence as an accessibility measure because I had ear issues as a child that have impaired my ability to balance and I wouldn’t be able to play much past Standard/Difficult were it not for the bar.

1 Like

I went from always being the best player on my titanfall 2 team to always being the worst player on my siege team but I just had one match where I got four out of the five kills and that felt very special

I think I might finally be OK at this by the time I get to unlock my fifth operator on starter edition