Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

It’s a super lightweight kind of metal.

And he is very very mindful of his surroundings.

1 Like

This

was more unnavigable twitch chaos than any test of frantic skill.

The only Ys I’ve played before was 3 SNES. I knew what these versions were like but didn’t expect…that after a 5 hour romp through the game.

I’m down for more but hope the series gets more coherently maneuverable for it’s hyper-intense final shit.

6 Likes

the new meta in siege is crazy: wallhacks and nanobots oh boiii.

and also that brutal unranked climb in the beginning of a new season. painful, painful shit.

Ugh, yeah, I hated that fucking boss.

I played this 3DS Ys-ish game Fairune and it had a similar difficulty spike at the end for some reason >:|

final fantasy musou?

1 Like

every franchise should get musou treatment

3 Likes

Hey, I just beat this for the first time a few days ago as well, and yeah, that boss is some bullshit. Haven’t started 2 yet, but I can tell you that the later games in the series get much less bullet-hell-ish, and much more “bosses with patterns that you can learn and figure out” and that is a very good thing. They also lose the bump combat though, which is kinda sad.

1 Like

Pretty sure that is Dissidia NT. But I would totally play an FF musou.

Ys 8 eventually reaches a level of chaos similar to that fight, but not necessarily to the player’s disadvantage. Adol is flying everywhere and you can barely tell what’s going on but he’s killing everything.

I’m playing Ys Origin myself and it’s the best. No village, just one enormous tower to climb and three protagonists to choose from

1 Like

Ys Origin does indeed rule.

Oath was the first one I played so it’s hard for it not to be my favorite. There’s a real coziness to it (I need my town) and the soundtrack I think is better, but it’s hard to argue that Origin isn’t the best pure game in the series.

not like I was ever going to play ys but it’s a bummer it’s full 3d now

It’s the move to having a party that I like the least. I don’t need a bunch of boring banter, I like Adol as a solo adventurer. Also the post Origin games get too mindless with flash guards/dodges and unlimited healing etc.

2 Likes

Been wanting to play more Falcom in general a long time, I’ve listened to enough soundtracks and arrangements barely knowing the games. Tackling II in a couple sittings soon.

I enjoy bullet hellishness and will probably dig the series progression. Bump combat feels messy when enemies can just turn all directions over what seems like a second or two, but that’s kinda cool as its own old school RNG.

@Tuxedo Origin gets a lot of love and it seems I should do that after Chronicles.

1 Like

All of y’all about to experience YsII dungeon 1. Good luck. Hope you are playing on a big screen.

1 Like

yeah ys 7 on felt extremely tedious and i just cant stand the fact they force you to play as non adol characters with their stupid weakness system. It reall drags the game down!

i really hate ys 7

Yeah, it’s Dissidia NT.

Can you imagine the looks he got any time SOLDIER had meetings on the 30th floor of Shinra HQ or wherever and everyone got in the elevator but him?

2 Likes

Falcom has always made games that relied heavily on the otaku media tropes of the day, but now that all of their franchises have the exact same Trails aesthetic, I have a really hard time getting into anything they’ve made this decade. It’s not even a particularly bad flavor, it’s just the only flavor they use anymore. There’s not much that feels “Ys” about 7 or 8.

4 Likes

Yeah it’s a great idea. One of Ys’ unique qualities is its breeziness and Origin is one of the breeziest. There’s an addictive loop of finding a new stratum -> struggling -> finding chests with new equipment -> not struggling anymore -> boss -> repeat

Ys Origin is also closely related to 1 and 2 in that it tells the end of Ys: one of the protagonists is Hugo Fact, and I just realized that he’s probably Dark Fact’s great grand daddy, which means that « Dark Fact » is not actually a shameful nickname DF chose for himself but his actual First Name + Last Name. And his father named him « Dark »
Anyway I’m not going to defend references but they’re fun

3 Likes

I finished that Nioh game the other night. I’m not ready to discuss the game at length because to be
knee-deep in that game is akin to how Dougie Jones felt when he left the red room. It’s just such a massive, all encompassing endeavor to get involved with Nioh that it leaves you punchdrunk at the end. Once I’ve reacclimated to society, I will have something substantive to share but for now just know that it’s Team Ninja’s magnum opus and always will be.

7 Likes