Games You Played Today Classic Mini

Demon’s Tilt is out on Steam in Early Access.

only played one game of it so far, but i liked it! normal mode feels too easy; then again, i played Devil’s Crush on fast, so i should probably check out Hardcore?

no final verdict, just…seems fun.

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE

7 Likes

I can’t remember if I’ve ever stepped astride the Myst line around here, but if I did, it was probably just to say that I like the Myst games, but I pretty much only interact with them through Andrew Plotkin’s reviews. Through the lens of Mr. Plotkin’s enthusiasm and analysis, I love this franchise. I am bad at playing the games.

The first Myst is easy! It was played by grandmas all around the world! You should try it!

2 Likes

The glitches necessary to complete the game are well-defined for all the randomizers I’ve seen, and they all have options to make the logic not require glitches. In fact, glitchless is the mode that almost all races operate under, since having the choice to sequence break is more interesting than being forced to from a routing perspective.

1 Like

Look the Piano Puzzle in Myst is a nightmare if you’re as tone deaf as I am. And the Maze puzzle fucking sucks.

But yeah besides that, the original Myst is a super breezy fun puzzly time!

Too late, alas! I played it with a walkthrough in like '06. I guess enough time has passed that I won’t remember all the puzzle solutions, but I remember enough that I don’t think I’ll get many rewarding “eureka!” moments.

Hey both Cuba and Me have that book coming.

I think polybius may be the first game to have a brexit level, the main mechanic of which is nightmarishly large moving goalposts which you have to avoid

it’s actually called “brexit miasma”

12 Likes

The Myst games were pretty formative for me during the year in high school when I got obsessed with PC adventure games. I would say Sanitarium was the most important game I played that year though.

2 Likes

We got a NES Classic for Christmas and my partner and I have been playing a bunch of 2-player Dr. Mario and that game really fucking rules.

8 Likes

Oh hell yeah! High five, @OneSecondBefore

I loved that game. Not many people know it but I’ve heard it talked about a couple of times on sb and that made me happy.

Myst sucks.

Nah, it’s alright but I take it as a personal insult if you say it’s a breezy game. I couldn’t get anywhere in it as a kid. I mostly blame the movement for that though. I just didn’t have the patience to mess with it. I guess I could have figured out the puzzles but the frustration of moving around was just too much

2 Likes

Sanitarium fucked me up for weeks

2 Likes

The boss fights in E.V.O. Search for Eden are bullshit.

5 Likes

the game is fun for a few hours before you see behind the curtain and realise you’re just grinding until you buy each era’s highest-statted body parts, then going onto the next era and doing it again.

a protip if you have infinite patience is to save up a ton of points so you can keep switching body parts during bossfights, because every time you change a part your hp fills up

5 Likes

I thought this until I realize the game gives you fairly obvious audio cues for the right way to go once you know what to listen for

I think the long unskippable animations still make it bad!

I know it’s potentially stifling criticism to give things a pass like this but I really think critiquing the mechanics of individual Myst puzzles is missing the point

it’s a game from 1993 made in hypercard, obviously it has some weird implementation compromises from time to time. The point is that it was hugely influential and in largely good ways! The sheer anthropological vocabulary of Riven is still one of the most impressive things to be done with a videogame and that periodically plays like shit too!

6 Likes

Sega ages Outrun, fuck’n rules. Its my new fave thing on the switch. I’ve put many hours into it in the last week.

The presentation is 100%
The game play is 100%
The music is 100%
The extra stuff, 100%

It feels just like the arcade and it looks amazing. Its 16:9 now. They got it to render off the sides I guess, you can see the original frame based on where the HUD is located.

It has the original Japanese and International course layouts and they really give you a different feel.
You can adjust the check point strictness and difficulty (seems to mostly be traffic) like you can with the arcade machine.

Power ups! They exist now! The best one is the tire upgrade, it allows you to drive off the course without losing speed. Why is this great? You can cut the corners, dodge trees, drive in the ocean. It changes the game, it makes it faster and crazier.

Its has a leader board! And you can watch record demos! See what you are doing wrong!

My only wish is that they had included Turbo Outrun.

If you love SEGA, big sprites and/or driving fast and own a switch, SPEND THE 8 BUX!

10 Likes

The power ups where also in the 3DS version FYI

But yes, strong agree everyone should get Outrun Switch

Looking forward to the Gain Ground release next month

1 Like