Games You Played Today Classic Mini

oh yeah, can we talk about the thief?

“sheena easton as an unemployed tiefling who is meant to represent the lower classes so of course her dialog is a cross between a dickensian orphan and a pirate, and who also claims during the ending to have been in love with you all along because idk she’s a female character in your party, what the hell, truly the next level of may december supernatural romances”

also that was the era of computer adaptations of D&D where rather than being “the fun ones, who can roleplay” thiefs sort of … didn’t do anything

1 Like

Divinity OS is fantastic and I think its probably worth playing over PS: Torment (though theyre not doing the same thing exactly)

Anyway have you heard the good word about Arcanum

3 Likes

Her being in love with you can come up earlier if you do a dialog right. You don’t want to do this dialog.

1 Like

I think we are unanimous in disliking how that character is handled. Its a real shame when every other NPC has a real irony to their character, she is just some hangover from Baldur’s Gate wish fulfillment land. Almost as bad as Rhin!

you have to fight like eight million rats and skeletons when you first go down into the dungeons with mr. “my prayer wheel has been thinking about getting into buddhism but it has too many buttons on it to really commit”

No you don’t. I don’t remember ever going into this dungeon

it’s right around where you find the body with plot progression item on it and the lich who locks you up and your spike-trapped sanctuary from a previous life

you also have to fight bats

I looked it up.

There are 4 mandatory fights.

You did not have to fight rats, skeletons, or bats.

These rats, skeletons, and bats were the consequences of your life choices.

11 Likes

Everyone still agrees right that the best way to play Torment is to max out your Wisdom so you get the most expeez

Anyway I picked those 3 games not necessarily because they are the best (because what could that mean) but they are 3 of the best and represent bright lights of different shades of the way CRPGs have been made. If you don’t like any of them chances are you won’t like any others.

1 Like

yes on wisdom and I agree with you other than that I think saddling someone with the design choices of the 90s has always been the worst part of recommending CRPGs and I’m highly invested in not doing that.

But to be clear I don’t think Morrowind is anything but fantastic nor that P:T is anywhere close to bad

this is “final fantasy 8 is the most beautiful game ever made” nedge we’re talking about here though so perhaps I’m off base

No, I did this consciously. I don’t think improved smoothness of mechanics will be enough for anyone to like this genre who doesn’t otherwise find anything to like in any of those 3 games. Or, if they do play those 3 games, and they say “I like everything about this except how gormy they are to play,” then we know what to do next.

1 Like

These rats, skeletons, and bats were the consequences of your life choices.

My time on this forum has been worthwhile for this phrase alone.

Thank you, shrug

5 Likes

when you put it that way my reaction is an almost solipsistic “who wouldn’t?” so I think that says it right there

Well I’m going to try DivOS now anyway
I am definitely someone who bounces

2 Likes

I’m still playing deadfire, but I only get like one minor quest done a night

Still haven’t left the docks area in the first major city!

1 Like

I love the quests in that area because rather than saying “oh let’s do a little romeo and juliet thing that’ll be fun” they actually have a whole arc revolving around the respective family structures and their involvement with the trading company and so on

Is there more to it? That quest line seemed to go really fast for me. I kept the kids from killing each other, got the families to talk, and convinced them that they should work together to fight the pirates and be nice to the locals. That’s was it, the quest took like 10 minutes because the houses were right next to each other

it advances along with the trading company quests

1 Like

Today I went over to my gf’s house and we played Nier 1 for the first time on her old 360. What a fucking weird game! I played through all of Automata, but this game’s vibe is really different. We were both shocked that it came out in 2010. It has the graphics and game design of a 2005 PS2 game, but in the best way.

The character animations are hot garbage, it rules. You play as a big chunker of a man, and his jump feels like you’re barely hefting a sack of potatoes and then tumbling over and spilling them all. And he’s got a double jump for no reason, so you can juggle that potato sack right back up, and it feels just as arduous! You can roll around at fuckin’ top speed, ocarina of time style. So, like, when you jump you feel like a bowling ball, but when you roll you REALLY feel like a bowling ball.

The enemies all walk like they shat their pants and they’re trying to make it to the bathroom without anybody noticing.

All the NPCs have totally shitty V/O that made us laugh almost every time anyone said anything. The best was when some weird fuckin guy in town threateningly rasped at us in this totally gnarly voice that vegetables were half off at the market.

Your first mission is to go do hardcore visceral sword attack combos on sheep in an idyllic field to get mutton for the librarian!

The weird thing is that every totally stupid design decision feels like it was done completely intentionally, with full awareness of the consequences. It completely works as a b-game.

15 Likes

I tried to play it in rpcs3 recently but I could only choose between the game either being bathed in darkness or with glitchy audio

1 Like