Games You Played Today Classic Mini

Bioshock Infinity did this too!

I haven’t played Bioshock Infinite but this game blessedly does not have a sense of humor or any voice at all, so it’s just a cool level bit.

i beat Mega Man 11 tonight; i took my time with this one. my initial impressions from the demo were super negative, but tbh, playing it on my X.B.O.X. changed my tune a bit (the visuals, for one, looked a lot more cohesive than on Switch). in general, it is a Mega Man game. i’d say it’s better than like MM5 or 6, but not better than 2,3,4,9 or anything. it’s also way too easy on Normal difficulty, but it’s a really pleasant experience so it kind of doesn’t matter.

the end of the game made me feel a little weepy. i tend to get nostalgic a lot these days, and Mega Man is a series i’ve played for close to 30 years, so…those feelings.

4 Likes

sigh

I kinda think any game about gunning down ‘looting’ gang members in (what was until recently) a predominantly black city under the auspices of ‘restoring order’ from an objectively fascist military structure has political undertones inherently.

Like even if they didn’t intend that subtext, it’s definitely there, and it’s definitely gross.

7 Likes

NOT FOR POLITICS NO MESSAGE

I’m not watching that trailer and I cannot begin to possibly care what marketing materials this game has.

It is as intelligent but less offensive than a Midway arcade game. I really mean that my strongest point of reference here when playing this is Gauntlet Legends, because I cannot begin to care about loot-shooters (and have forcibly suppressed my painful memories of Destiny’s ever-abundant abusive bullshit).

I also can’t imagine what context the game would have for “kill tens of thousands of people in the streets” other than the impossibly bold decision of declaring there is none and everyone is wearing plainclothes, but that might be more distracting than Ethnically Diverse Cops vs. Ethnically Diverse Anarchists.

In other words I’m saying I want this game to exist, as it is, because it’s hella fun, but I can’t imagine the premise framed in a way that isn’t political, and I think the game itself regardless of that is almost as apolitical as it can be.

I’m pretty sure the racial overtones of gauntlet legends were more muted

I mean, valkyries haven’t had much food insecurity for centuries

2 Likes

my favorite gauntlet game is the one where you’re a cop who kills political dissidents

2 Likes

yes, my favorite Midway arcade game was N.A.R.C. too, such quality

2 Likes

haha fuck

how could i forget about NARC

honestly if The Division 2 was branded as a NARC reboot (reboot) I would be kind of into it

4 Likes

Ok so I guess we’ve had games with bad politics since the 80s at minimum.

That has no bearing on the Division games having absolutely fucked narratives.

Also the context of ‘scarily accurate reprsenation of real life washington DC’ and ‘game with technicolor human sized test tubes’ might in fact shift the meaning a little bit.

So how would you frame the game actors or the setting in a way where what you do in the game is exactly the same (because shooting tons of people in videogames is fun), but it’s not fascistic?

I can’t imagine the basic concept of this game not ultimately being fascistic, but it’s fun; shooter games are fun.

How about not putting the player in the shoes of a cop who’s killing anarchists?

For the world’s most obvious example, Wolfenstein manages to be a shooter without being fascist.

5 Likes

being dumb and loving it goes a long way to making it palatable for me; the serious, real tone demanded by today’s testosterone junkies to cover up their insecurities around their fantasies makes it a lot worse

3 Likes

it seems like gun-games have taken two wildly divergent paths, one like Fortnite or Overwatch or whatever where the whole thing is just so divorced from reality as to be absurd, and the other where they feel the need to just go whole-hog into trying to make violence Meaningful and Provocative

the former can be ok and the latter typically sucks on unprecedented levels

2 Likes

Then what would it be in a way that makes sense?

Like, what do the two opposing forces then become?

I assume you’re referring to The New Order and The New Colossus, which require context and cutscenes and theme work to justify their violence, and it’s precisely the absence of all this that makes The Division 2 such a pure “videogamey” drug hit. It’s arcade fascism. If it tried to seriously justify what was going on in any way for longer than literally 20 seconds in 2 hours, I would be annoyed, and I would let you know I was annoyed.

1 Like

I don’t believe that you are so completely lacking in imagination that you can’t think of a single scenario for a mindless shooter that doesn’t require explicit fascist framing. I think you’re just trying to justify the shitty parts of a game you like.

5 Likes

you just

don’t make a game where you’re The Last Heroic Fed Ventilating Gang Members For Resources To Build Playgrounds Because Gang Members Don’t Even Like Playgrounds!!! In A Weird Settler Fantasy

8 Likes

you just don’t

3 Likes