Games You Played Today Classic Mini

yeah, Sachiko Kamimura. she was a character designer for city hunter!

3 Likes

there is so much (poorly localized) text. so much needlessly added plot. and itā€™s all so poorly executed. and thatā€™s far from the worst thing about it.

I might be overestimating my ranking for it, itā€™s been so long. I just remember being very impressed by how well it executes the concept of blaster master in 3D for a playstation-era game.

brain lord is something you say to a nerdy kid when youā€™re a bully in a 90s tv movie

6 Likes

Char designer on the Arslan OVAs and the animation director of venus wars!

5 Likes

Anyways, the fact that people who liked Nex Machina think ill of Dead Nation assuages my worries and Iā€™ll give it a shot. Thanks and such.

Not now though. Because it was a PS+ game some months back and that Rudie kept mentioning it Iā€™m just gonna do the dumbest thing possible and play Steins;Gate. If there is a god may he have mercy on my soul.

The prologue does not inspire confidence >_>

2 Likes

why would you play Steins;Gate when thereā€™s so many lovely VNs made for girls out in English now

(note: Diabolik Lovers is not actually out in English. instead, you can get your fill of abuse over in Amnesia: Memories)

StarTropics is a decently fun game, though it was a bit more challenging than I was expecting. A bit charming as well.

Like, thereā€™s a point in the first dungeon where you can open a door to a secret room with a health potion inside. Poke around in that secret room and youā€™ll open the door to another secret room with another health potion inside. Poke around some more and youā€™ll open a door to yet another secret room where you immediately drown and die, surrounded by the floating skeletons of victims long gone.

I love it.

Also, there is a certain perverse humor to the fact that at the end of chapter 7 you get your max hearts upgraded to 22, watch a really slow animation of the hearts filling up, and then get dropped into chapter 8 with only 3 out of 22 hearts full right before a boss that can OHKO you.

The dolphins are great.

Early on I was thinking about how someone should make a hack that swapped Mikeā€™s gender. Then just a bit later I found out that you need to get magically transformed into a girl to enter a girls-only castle to progress on your quest (BotW ripped off this game imho). Unfortunately, the game doesnā€™t let you exit the castle without transforming back, so you canā€™t play as Michelle in any of the dungeons. (Someone needs to fix that.)

Speaking of Zelda, for how often people refer to Zelda as a point of comparison for this game, Iā€™m surprised at how little Zelda DNA is in the thing (to be clear, this is Not A Problem). It is not a Zelda-like, so donā€™t call it a Zelda-like and donā€™t let your friends call it a Zelda-like either. Itā€™s more of a methodical action game with light adventure game trappings and a few environmental riddles. It guess it fits under the broad umbrella of ā€œaction-adventureā€, but no it is not a Zelda-like.

Fun game, a bit rough, not necessarily essential, but definitely recommendable. I can see why the Captain N generation seems enamored with it.

Mike Jones for Smash.

12 Likes

Speaking of Crackdown, I played the freebie copy of 2 and, hmm.

I guess itā€™s not terrible? But it does look way more boring, at least in this starting location.

I feel like the zombies that come out at night exist mostly so people actually max out their physical strength and driving skills. The first game never really gave you great opportunities to wallop dudes or splatter them.

The ā€œThe Agency is evilā€ stuff is still here but in such an overt way that itā€™s almost funny. The Director is such a condescending asshole and itā€™s pretty clear youā€™re still on the wrong side of things.

Taping down two buttons to get one of the last trophies in Ace Combat 7 while I take a shower
Truly, a PS2 game transported into 2019

9 Likes

im working my way through the first bayonetta. a game packed full of truly awful design choices. but damn that core gameplay is fun sometimes.

1 Like

Hohokum feels nearly as abstract and obtuse as The Witness but at least it gives feedback and is charming as fuck.

I like Hohokum a lot. Itā€™s a shame it disappeared into the ether on release despite good support from Sony.

1 Like

yeah I thought it was one of their better projects from that whole oeuvre of locoroco and sound shapes and whatnot

Yeah, I am in thrall to Baba Is You.

Iā€™m hoping at least one of the five or so dead ends Iā€™ve ended up at look more comprehensible with a fresh set of eyes tonight.

I am enjoying Valkyria Chronicles 4, but it definitely seems pretty jank particularly with some of the mission design. In a few cases I was getting completely trashed by bosses within a couple turns, and so ended up just using up all my Command Points to move one unit into the enemy base, completing the mission and getting an A rank

2 Likes

the division 2ā€™s settlements are very cool and so is the rest of the game Iā€™ve seen so far

1 Like

Reminds me Enderā€™s Game has almost exactly this scenario and Orson Scott Card tried to pass it off as supreme military genius

3 Likes

totally fair because as far as i remember you almost never know when a boss mission is going to happen in vc4 and they seem entirely designed as an afterthought to save scum around

1 Like

Well I guess it feels like genius in the same way as outsmarting a child by stomping through their booby-trapped pillow fort to steal their cupcakes

2 Likes