Games You Played Today Classic Mini

Double XP weekend in Black Ops 4 is inflating my sense of skill while playing it, but damn if it isn’t fun.

Soul Calibur VI sure feels like Soul Calibur, so take that as you will!

1 Like

What is everyone playing soul calibur on?

PS4 for me, at least!

After the fun of hearing a guy getting chewed out by his wife for playing Call of Duty when he was supposed to get ready to have breakfast with her mother (all the while a kid whose audio was way too high kept bellowing “HELLO?” over and over again), I finally figured out how to mute everyone.

9 Likes

When I get paid, I will pick it up on PS4

i am playing on ps4. No edge master apparently ;_;

when are they just going to rename the mode to Edge Lord already

2 Likes

the character

first to ten with both going edge lord is the real soul calibur

I finished up SOMA.

I am still rather torn on it, but while I actively disliked much of the first half of the game (mostly related to the mechanical aspects of it)… that mostly faded in the second half and I can’t quite pinpoint why. The monster encounters felt a good deal less problematic, and it may just be a case that by said point I was intrigued enough by the story to overlook what had bothered me previously. Still I’m not gonna question a good break.

…Then I hit a game-breaking bug about 15 minutes short of the finish that required multiple exits and restarts to bypass which brought a lot of those early feelings back.

Without going into spoilers/specifics, there is a point during the ending where the game could have easily actually ended and it would have been much better off doing so.

2 Likes

On the one hand, it turns out the game I thought was a cute Wallaby racing game is a horse racing sim…with Wallabies. It’s still super cute and features a Koalla smoking a cigarette:
Wallaby_04

11 Likes

it’s illegal to give koalas cigarettes in australia

11 Likes

we need to do a special edition PC Engine salaryman corner, pronto

1 Like

I thought australia was a land of liberty >:(

2 Likes

4 Likes

I made a plaid Yoshi in wooly world and named her Lesbian Yoshi

2 Likes

my mouse has stopped randomly skipping around in max payne 1, and dosbox sierra games since whatever windows update caused that to start happening. I have to turn off compatibility mode on the max payne 2 exe for it to run now. a reminder for how uncertain and fragile life can be

7 Likes

getting to a point in NWN2 that seems like a bit of a slog! i’m given two divergent (not in final story scenarios tho i think) quest paths that both take me through identical looking rocky mountain areas with identical seeming sets of enemies (bugbears and orcs with trolls)

trying to solve how my mage keeps dying immediately in combat but i think it’s more of an AI problem than anything necessitating that i may be finally getting into the part of the game where i have to pause encounters and deal with them strategically

is this the true rpg starts here

Also seems to have pops every now and then, but it might just be the crappy class T amp I’m using in my bedroom.

Yeah according to Digital Foundry there is some pretty bad compression on the sound in general for some reason, plus some of the fire effects etc are noticeably worse. On the other hand, the texture quality and framerate are definitely much better than the last gen versions and there’s some welcome QoL improvements that make this version a bit of an odd compromise.

Still, I think it is worth it for the ability to invade people in Blighttown while on the bus, with the added pressure of ‘will I get this done before I reach my stop??’

2 Likes

I have some left over time to try and fit in a Halloween game before work and RDR 2 combine to swallow up all my free time for a few weeks, so I started up a run of Super Castlevania IV, a game I played on a rental for a bit back when it was new and not once since.

Worth noting is that I have played through Castlevania 1, 2 and Rondo for the first times within the past four or so years (I had similarly rented Simon’s Quest back when it was new and got nowhere), so I guess I walked into all of them with fresh eyes and this one just doesn’t seem as good as the others. I assume others have said something like this many times before but it feels very tech demo-esque as it loves to toss in a bunch of “hey look what we can do on the SNES!” elements rather frequently through at least the first six stages. Also while I love the very wiggly whip I think it might be a bit overpowered compared to how the enemies react and attack.

It’s not bad mind you, it just doesn’t feel nearly as solidly designed so far.

1 Like

Yeah it is best to think of it in terms of being a near launch game freed from the shackles of the Famicom. Look at what we can do now!! Yay!!

Like compare it with Super Adventure Island which is…just Adventure Island again. Then they released Adventure Island 4 on Famicom which is much more of an interesting game.

2 Likes