Games You Played Today Classic Mini

i seem to have gotten through the nightmare part of crpg where you can’t hit anything and one of your party members dies every single encounter

also i refuse to use strategy or give anyone a bow. the only way an adventurer can earn their keep is up close and elbow deep in gore

this uh is not going over so well with the mages

1 Like

how miffed i am that “chaotic good” doesnt mean i can pick whatever response i want without penalty

nwn2 is definitely structured more on a katamari approach to party members and which one of the women are going to die to give stakes to drama i wonder

No, I totally sympathize; I continually chase this feeling I got from old DOS demo discs and random Angelfire sites. The internet and games and everything are getting broader and more uniform simultaneously. Roguelikes in particular felt gigantic and arcane and unknowable and now there are wikis for everything and everything is explained and they feel small and contained and slick and unabrasive.

I don’t actually know what I want from games most of the time, let alone how to fix the problem you’re describing. I think I won’t ever feel the same about computer games as I did when I was a kid. That era is gone, whether it was the product of enamored youthful wonder or the dawn of the internet or some underground culture of creativity in tech.

5 Likes

Happy to report that Onrush is still pretty active! Haven’t seen any bot fills for the matches I’ve played, so that’s always a good sign (even if it means I’m matching with the same handful of people).

Haven’t seen any of the new tracks pop up yet, though.

Oh cool I guess they added currency microtransactions to the game. Seeing as the only progression in the whole thing is randomly unlocking cosmetic stuff when you level up, that seems like a real good way to defeat the lone carrot on the stick.

1 Like

this is the slow part of the game i think

i found a really good hat.

12 posts were split to a new topic: cobra dinn is not a real country

This is more of a random personal observation than a true “what am I playing”, but it is based on both the game I’m currently playing (SOMA) and the discussion elsewhere regarding the newest Assassin’s Creed game.

Often times it seems like I end up caring more about the narrative of the framing device than the actual story the game wants to tell. As noted with Assassin’s Creed, I’ve never really cared about the actual adventures going on compared to what is going on in the modern day. Backwards as this is, those are just memories I am reliving while the current day stuff is yet to resolve itself, even though functionally both are equally predetermined.

With SOMA the divide is less blatant, but the literal opening of the game is about some guy with a brain disorder that causes it to randomly bleed to the degree that said blood is leaking out of his head. The game then shifts directions dramatically to examine more philosophically deep ideas… and yet even as I am probably about to approach the beginning of the end run I really do care less about all those then I do about whatever the hell was wrong with him initially. Forget the meaning of life, I want to know how and why his brain was bleeding like that!

…I may be the wrong audience for these things.

3 Likes

The good news for you is that the entire game is low-key all about the effects of traumatic brain injuries. See my post in the old SOMA thread about anosognosia.

3 Likes

I beat a robot named fight for the first time and the final boss lagged lol

OH MY FUCKING BONGLORD EVERYONE MUST PLAY ZERO RANGER

3 Likes

Mudrunner Spintires is fantastic except when it freezes for seconds to minutes at a time then resumes and sends me careening off a cliff while trying to teach me how to not fall off a cliff in a 4x4.

1 Like

my soul calibur vi CAWs:
cosmo kramer
morpheus
jim cramer

1 Like

I haven’t had time to fire up Soul Calibur VI yet (showed up right before work), but I can report that the season pass version comes with a steelbook with a button on the front, and inside is an extruded artwork of Siegfried with a speaker grille that plays super tinny voice clips of the narrator.

It’s maybe the dumbest stunt packaging I’ve seen for a game in a while.

3 Likes

The graveyard skeletons don’t regenerate anymore in dark souls on switch, what the hell

4 Likes

You killin’ 'em with a holy mace?

Nope, a longsword +3

Seems like the sound is a bit more muffled than I remember too?

1 Like

The ones in the graveyard never respawned, it’s just the ones in the catacombs (as long as the necromancers they’re flagged to are alive)

Really? I feel like I distinctly remember killing them after many gruelling attempts only to have them come back to life seconds later. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

EDIT: According to the wiki, you are correct. My memory is indeed a filthy liar

1 Like

oh i totally remember dying like three times to kill a skeleton and then it just like, got up again and i cried

1 Like