Games You Played Today Classic Mini

it’s okay, I’ve accepted that it’s only me and the other 20 assholes who like and support the game

1 Like

I thought cactus was limp too but I’ve never ever been able to get into a Housemarque game and I’m not sure why; I was in the beta for Nex Machina and everything and it just didn’t grab me

I think it’s maybe their approach to progression and level design that’s just too confidently arcadey and I wouldn’t say that it’s missing a trick exactly, but it’s similar to how I lose interest in smash TV halfway into a run whereas I’ll play teleglitch or nuclear throne endlessly

and even the scoring isn’t as technical or interesting as like geometry wars for that matter. it’s just a lot of pushing ahead.

I should give it another shot

1 Like

fwiw I think there are only two good Housemarque games; Resogun and Nex Machina. I don’t expect them to recover from the battle royale game they’re working on; it looks tragic.

You have to save all the humans in a chain while clearing the waves, so you can’t pick them all up too quickly because then your chain will die while finishing the waves in that room. What this means is that you have to devise a path between them and stick around them while not dying, and given the speed and swarms of the enemies that’s harder than it sounds (I just fired the game up again and got killed several times in the second room on Veteran trying to focus too hard on the humans). It’s an elegant interrogation of space that plays out within 10 seconds and does demand really technical timing and threat management. There’s also lots of secret things to blow up and secret levels to find which are important for score, and the time this takes away from focusing on the enemies is another crucial thing to manage.

The game shines best on Veteran difficulty with a one-credit limitation. Also laser = best subweapon imo.

1 Like

I started watching Stray Dogs years ago when it was on Netflix but I never finished it. I think Tsai might be someone where his works snowball on each other so that if you watch one, you can get more out of the next one, so I’d really like to see Stray Dogs now. I don’t think it’s a trick you have to “get.” It just has deliberate, slow pacing. Shoplifters is so good, not really like Stray Dogs, but I see what you mean. Watch Shoplifters, please.

I’ve gotta be honest with you. I watched your live stream, but I spent a lot of it playing Mario Golf 64.

Why can’t I stop playing Diablo?

1 Like

idle hands

4 Likes

That original diavolo is soooo good

1 Like

but are you playing right and duping Godly Plate of the Whale for all of your friends and some strangers

I get the feeling we like our respective games for the same reason and differ on how each game goes about achieving this loop

2 Likes

I never learned how to dupe.

Hope you are not playing Warrior

LOL

I’ve beaten the game once years ago as a Mage, and I’ve played as an Archer / Bow Person / Whatever before as well.

Warrior was the only one I’ve never tried.

s’abit dull

It gets bad for you on Hell difficulty, when there are physical immune monsters.

Just on Normal difficulty for now, but thanks for the tip.

Been debating whether I should pick up Diablo III for PS4 when it goes on sale again.

Didn’t play original Diablo at the time and it doesn’t do much for me now; just feels like a weak roguelike. How does it compare to D2? I find the latter still rather playable, albeit pretty easy and mindless.

I mostly like Diablo 3. It’s got good crunch and there are a lot of buttons to press. I do think the excessive balancing sort of homogenizes the experience, though. Most of the fun of D2 is doing completely broken shit.

Diablo games in general are improved significantly if you play w/ a friend or two.

1 Like

if i didn’t like 3 or loot games in general should i avoid ever looking at the first two?

2 was good dumb fun before the idea of a “loot game” was codified as was 1 as a 90s dungeony roguey thing. they were both better in their time than 3 (though 3 isn’t that bad) but I don’t think either has really aged well.

I think they’re influential enough that nearly all the ideas they have have been mined out and put into countless modern games at this point. So yeah, probably superfluous to go back if you don’t have a loot compulsion.

1 Like

2 is more about the build than the loot, to be honest

1 Like