Games You Played Today Classic Mini

turn off all the regular driving points prompts, it’s essential

Did you know that the most blue skies game on the market is Everybody’s Golf on the PS4

You can just… leave the golf course? to go explore? for no actual rewards?

You know how you can switch between 2D and 3D in Dragon quest 11 3DS and explore with both?

This game also sort of does that (with a fixed 2D map instead of a full 2D world) It is super impressive tech, and I only noticed it existed by pressing the PS4 touch button by mistake during exploration. It’s not even available in the hub area or, you know, when playing golf.
Here is the view of the same place from the 3D and 2D map views :

Character customization is fantastic and you always unlock new clothes all the time. Hope you like fucking polo shirts though, this is golf

My wife got interested in the game when she saw that I created her perfect doppleganger and we started playing for 3 hours taking turns and commenting on our strategy, the clubs, the wind, etc.

The game won’t stop teasing me about eventually unlockable golf carts but I have to walk for now. Also, I think there’s going to be fishing too??

All in all, super wholesome

21 Likes

I always wondered why 3D golf games didn’t let you walk around, as it seems to be a big part of the appeal of golf in real life: the curated garden experience. Has this series always let you do that?

I imagine they got the map mode for almost free because they already supported those assets and view for the hole overview? Then they’d just need a basic movement set and to convince the producer to schedule the QA time

1 Like

my experience with every golf game is that I get excited for it, play it and then remember it’s golf and I’m fucking horrible at it and I fall off

HSGphoto_zps80460d70

2 Likes

yes. wish I could find how many hours I put into it. gotta be over 100

2 Likes

There is this, but I’m also surprised more people haven’t done it:

https://jayisgames.com/review/miniature-golf-the-tranquility-course.php

i finished kane & lynch 2 again today. i originally played it on pc the first time around so imagine my surprise that the ps3 version is much lower res and shittier looking, which makes the bad camcorder footage aesthetic even more powerful. shit fucking rules! still the rawest game ever made

7 Likes

Been playing the original Tenchu, having only gotten into it with the PS2 entries, and it’s fun but these controls are kinda rough compared to the refinements of later. Turning while running is slow, and even in look mode you’re limited to no more than about 90 degrees to the left or right of where you were facing because look mode will not alter your actual facing when you leave it. This is especially irritating when sneaking because you can only sidestep rather than turn, so even if you look to the side you have to stand up to actually turn and I’ve been spotted on a couple of occasions because of this.

That said the somewhat sluggish and janky aspects of control does cause the player to take a very deliberate approach to things which is fitting for a stealth game. When even just popping out from behind a corner to slit a guard’s throat can be a bit iffy in execution you really take your time to line up things just right. Especially since combat is tricky, no precise lock on exists and your aim can easily drift off just a little bit the left or right and you get punished severely for the resulting miss. And while that may not have been intentional blocking not being a persistent action is, you have to do it in a brief window before an attack hits. While combat issues aren’t necessarily bad when you’re in the stages trying to be a sneaky ninja and not fight, but then you have boss fights where you have to and it can get messy.

One thing it definitely differs in from the later games is the mood of the levels, the game is almost certainly one that was born from the question “What kind of game can we do with the limited draw distance of the PSX?”, so you get a relatively short distance before everything is dark, so unlike later game here you can only see a little bit further than your enemies and even the environment itself is mostly hidden, which again adds to the need to take a slow approach to things.

4 Likes

yeah I’m holding the beat up ps3 copy I got for 5 bucks from ebay uk very dear to my heart

1 Like

I actually don’t think the map is used anywhere else in the game!

There’s no need for a hole overview because there’s a mini-map (that uses different assets) on the right side of the screen during golf

well dang

Siege is abnormally toxic this weekend

2 Likes

I wanted to play this but I kept hearing that you have to like “grind levels” repeating courses to get stronger clubs which idk, didn’t sound super appealing. Is that really true?

I miss Microsoft Golf

1 Like

I’m partway through Devotion now. I wish I could have purchased this game legitimately, because it is extremely good. It’s really a shame what happened. This developer deserves to do well.

This thing takes the PT style of walking sim horror and does something very interesting with it. It won me over pretty quickly once I got to that section with the wooden mannequins of the family members appearing throughout the house. This is a very resonant blend of eerie video game horror, realistic family tragedy, and careful evocation of specific times and places.

It’s really putting me in the mood to watch an Edward Yang movie. Anyone who enjoyed Devotion and hungers for more melancholy Taiwanese family drama, check out Yi Yi: A One and a Two, which is beautiful and also happens to be, as @u_u once pointed out, the best movie about game development.

2 Likes

Yeah I definitely got that same feeling after playing it too. Might watch Yi Yi again today in fact

1 Like

I really love the atmosphere of the natural stages. The level design of the cliff level is absolutely outrageous. You fight through the woods and ascend a cliff through rock climbing and slinking through water cut caves. Has anybody played Tenchu: Shinobi Hyakusen, the disc full of fan made levels?

Woah, I did not see Devotion’s storybook section coming. This is gorgeous!

maybe there’s a bunch of new people playing for some reason. I was salvaging my kdr massacring games full of people just playing as the recruit guy saying they’d only played the game on console