Games You Played Today: Actress Again: Current Code (Part 1)

do you reckon the switch version will be decent?

edit: did i imagine this being on switch?
edit again: i googled myself, no date yet.

I assume it will just be a graphics downgrade. I believe the vr mode has some kind of compromised graphical presentation so perhaps it will be based on that.

I actually bought my switch to play this but then i unexpectedly moved in with someone who has a ps4 lol so here i am

1 Like

I am taking a break from a rice game but feel I need to state even with my misgivings it is one of the most well put together and coherent games I played this year and want to shove it in every one of your hands and make you play the 5 hours Iā€™ve played.

It captures a fall day in a way that frightens me. A winter morning. Midday in summer. This unnecessarily extends to every one of the action stages. I donā€™t know why. Outside of GTAV (which doesnā€™t have seasons) no other game has captured the temperture and humidity of any time of year. It might be a meter on screen but also I donā€™t need that meter I can feel it. In a year where I have barely gone outside I have gotten to enjoy every season of Japan. It has brought home one of the many reasons I moved here and brought me to tears that children now will have less seasons than I have known.

The specific texture of a fall rain versus a spring rain. I can sense it in my finger tips.

Itā€™s like a Kojima game there is frightening beauty next to (a different kind) of writing that sometimes makes you go okay come on.

16 Likes

i was always fascinated by the pricing structure of this, and finally have a windows install i can play it on. damn, really cool game. i spent like 3hours getting through the tutorial.

1 Like

returned to the hard mode botw playthrough i began a few months back over the last couple of nights, climbing up mountains with a pod in the background

for the story dlc which i assume isnā€™t great as off cuts of the already meh main quest you have to beat the colossi so will probably get to that next

trying not to scream as i achieved a new hi-score on tower p but still fell short of the diamond

edit: this tower takes like 5 hours to complete, most optimizations are early. basically going and changing whatever still means i gotta replay hours of tower after the change.

2 Likes

i got silver on tutorial !!

2 Likes

I rather liked this one

this game whips a hell of a lot of ass and i love it so much

1 Like

Draw Nine is a nice little thing to play through a few times just to see the various ways things can unfold/go wrong. I kinda wish it had outright bad/ā€œyou diedā€ early endings like the CYOA books it is reminiscent of though, it is short enough that it could have gotten away with it.

1 Like

More densha de go thoughts:

The anime girlfriend mascot assistant is weird and creepy. She mostly exists as like 20 voice clips that repeat while ur playing to congratulate your excellent performance and tell you how many stars you got for honking or going the right speed limit etc. Sometimes she sighs or sneezes or hums. Itā€™s creepy anime horny shit that passes as g rated. You can thankfully turn her volume slider all the way down in the options menu but she also is the voice that exclaims when you break too hard which is actually a pretty useful bit of feedback that in prior games always came from the passengers.

The game really does spread itself thin with its career mode thing. Youā€™re just grinding out the same stretches over and over again and it is tiring. I just wanna have the stuff unlocked man.

It is a shame cause the game is absolutely excellent. I dont mind there being little content compared to prior games cause i recognise the cost of these graphics. But just lay out what little is there from the start and let me get high scores. I donā€™t need the drip feed thing.

All the trains have unique UI and control methods and it works great. Something you canā€™t do if you sell one special controller but you can with a normal pad. Big fan.

12 Likes

I got a copy of Warioware Gold and specially dusted off and charged my 3DS for it, but the English voice acting is so mediocre and unrelenting that 20 minutes later I put it down, likely for good. Looks like itā€™s mostly reusing games from past Wariowares anyway and the unskippable surrounding stories and coin system they added for this release are just negative value added.

7 Likes

Soā€¦ like OutRun 2 with trains?? (but like only worse. although I do think OutRun 2 would be further improved if the girl sneezed every now and then)

5 Likes

It is unfortunately way less cool than outrun 2ā€™s girlfriend

5 Likes

As I continue in Dragonā€™s Dogma, I see that while the game did put more there for wanderers, they still did not anticipate or at least proof against one as wanderous as me, as hitting up more main quest stuff because I have basically hit all the walls of the world thus far has made it apparent I am seriously over leveled from what they intend.

Most amusingly when I get a warning from a guard about shady dudes out to get me complete with a shot of this gang looming in the distance watching me complete with a quest that basically is nothing more but ā€œWatch your back, motherfucker.ā€. Eventually I get this job to recover this magic thing thatā€™s been stolen, when I find my lead and go to a quarry, oh hey itā€™s wizard named Salomet whose name has come up before and heā€™s leading the shady dudes, after some intimidating dialogue about who is the cat and who is the mouse in this game, a fight starts and after all this buildup as the first dude runs toward me I do my running thrust move and just OHKO him. I see Salomet casting some spell so I run over and smack him and take out half his health, another whack takes out almost all the rest and another hit confirms that he canā€™t actually die. I look to see my pawns have obliterated the rest of the goon squad with similar ease, just in time for one of them to run up to grab and hold Salomet from behind so I just beat him for a few seconds until the cutscene kicks in where heā€™s talking all big about ā€œGUESS THIS CAT HAS SOME CLAWSā€ and runs off while still being smug and supposedly intimidating which is now utterly hilarious given the absolute and atrocious ass whooping he just received.

Another thing Iā€™ve noticed is a lot of jankiness about a lot of quests in terms of progression, in this one I was first told I should ask around to get some leads on the thief, it was getting dark and despite getting free run of the realm from the duke that doesnā€™t apply to the castle overnight so I leave to sleep and come back, but after leaving the castle I see some dude with a quest info marker over his head so talk to him and heā€™s like ā€œOH YOUā€™RE LOOKING FOR A SORCERER (I am??) I HEARD ABOUT ONE AT THE OLD QUARRYā€ which pointed me right to the fight with Salomet. I suppose the idea was I ask around the castle first and get bits of info that build up to this dude just outside but I just skipped all that first part.

But thereā€™s also a lot of other quests and story progression this gets weird on, like I take a job for a dude in town who seems to handle the cloak and dagger side of things for the duke talking about how SALVATION HAS INFILTRATED THE COURT and very concerning yes, Who or what the fuck is Salvation I havenā€™t heard this term at all before! And then I follow this suspicious dude for the quest and he goes to this building and meets a wandering merchant lady Iā€™ve seen around, who after this now has a shop in this building and no longer wanders and I even get an achievement for helping her open it and I didnā€™t even do anything??? And then I report this and sometime later I finally do the stuff to meet the duke (including a quest that actually properly informs me of what the cult Salvation is) and at the party with the duke oh hey thereā€™s the suspicious dude who I already reported about just hanging out like nothing happened and being a buzzkill, the latter of which makes sense given Iā€™ve already established seditious activities from him, but I suppose I was supposed to do that after this.

19 Likes

This is probably one of my favorite 3DS titles as a greatest hits combining (a lot of) the older stuff into one easy to grab thing but I have to agree there. Would mute if it werenā€™t for some games depending on sound in the ā€œremixā€/randomized levels.

1 Like

iā€™ve been bouncing around in xenoblade 3d and liking it more than i have when iā€™ve tried to play it previously. iā€™m grievously pro-xenoblade but have prev bounced off this one for being a bit more stripped back than the others. i had the realisation that itā€™s just banjo kazooie rpg to me, a comparison probs enabled by the british VA & tinny 3ds resolution but whatever i stand by it. i get to walk around too-big maps and listen to my little dudes repeat the same tinny voice clips (hup! hup! iā€™m really feelin it!) as i pick up lots of little tokens. i adore the seemingly auto-generated item names. hot carrot, girl courgette? please. if you think about it, turning into a termite in banjo is not dissimilar to getting into a mech in xenoblade x, and turning into a bee is not dissimilar to getting the flying upgrade in xeno but its better in x cos it makes you wait 80 hours first.

i think playing any game at 20p resolution and with an awful little analog nub camera control is kinda ideal tbh. ā€œi assume this area is really impressive on the switch, maybe iā€™ll play that version further down the lineā€ means i can play the game without disabusing myself of the image of the game as more vivid and affecting than it probably is. play the lowest fidelity version of a game and itā€™ll live forever

iā€™ve also been dipping into xenogears, which has been interesting. like the blade games the primary pleasure to me is gorgeous 3d level design but unexpectedly it also has actual cinematography? itā€™s nuts. unfortunately the script is really stilted and frustrating and it feels like a lot of work just to hang out in these nice spaces. iā€™m also playing it on a retroid, which has the clickiest fucking shoulder buttons in the world and (seemingly) not enough juice to handle retroarch shaders on top of ps1 emu. not ideal.

uhhh what else? i played a little lucah: born of a dream. it seems legit but i need to play more. i would have played it sooner if someone had told me it was bayo x bloodborne x bof dragon quarterā€¦ i will happily not play anymore so i can keep the mystery alive.

i also started rocket knight adventure. i booted it up to play a throwaway mascot platformer to donk around in for 20 minutes but was sold when i took a single step forward (spoilers). i feel foolish for not knowing sooner that this game is legit.

11 Likes

Rocket Knight Adventure was like the snowblower for my mind when I was a kid. Iā€™m saying that it blew me away, okay. Oh to be a kid again and play that for the first timeā€¦

I played some Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker on emulator. The first one looks like this:

Didnā€™t make pics of 2 but it looks about the same, a little better. And then 3 is on the 3DS and looks like this (unless you play at native resolution, which is just a garbled mess of pixels):

I really like the look of it! Itā€™s also different in terms of setting and story than the first two. In 1&2 you are joining some sort of pokemon tourney whereas 3 seems to be more DQ, with a hero that has to change something in the world. Well, actually, itā€™s a bit more complicated but Iā€™ll save that for the DQ thread when I eventually make a post there. Let it just be said that it starts off great.

Played some Project Wingman, which is Ace Combat fanfic through and through. Which means I skip all the briefing cutscenes and play loud music over all the radio chatter during missions so I donā€™t have to hear what people are talking about. (I donā€™t like Ace Combatā€™s nonsense either) The gameplay is fun though! Thatā€™s what matters with these games.

DQXI:S is great but I havenā€™t gotten to anything thatā€™s new about it yet. I guess some more quests and also romance options?? 2D mode is probably cool but I havenā€™t switched to it even once.

How could you when the game looks like this in 3D? Just gorgeous and so charming. So glad they brought this over from Switch to PC. They sure would have done me a mischief if they hadnā€™t

10 Likes

Iā€™ve been playing Pathologic 2 off and on recently, on account of it leaving game pass (I wanted to get through it before that happened; I of course failed and had to buy the game. whatever, they deserve my money). Iā€™m a bit mystified as to how this one never seemed to get any critical traction. did people really hate needing to eat food to stay alive that much? this game is brutal, overwhelming, relentlessly bleak, and maybe the most interesting game Iā€™ve ever played. I canā€™t imagine someone playing it and not having strong feelings about it in some way or another. I wouldnā€™t even know where to start talking about it casually. one somewhat minor thing I enjoy is how the characters in this game never talk to the player, they are always talking to the haruspex, the player character, who has a definite history and place in this town that you have to manage. and this is true even though the game is also framed as some artaud-esque play that speaks to you-as-audience and flaunts the unreality of its existence. there is not another game on the planet that I could find myself writing that sentence about without rolling my eyes, this is like the polar opposite of bioshock.

you never make choices in this game by Making Choices, though there is plenty of branching dialog that shames most other games. you make choices because you donā€™t have enough time or resources to not make choices, and everything you do is some level of negotiation with failure. no one is on your side, but everyone either expects something from you, or mocks your efforts. everything is constantly collapsing around you in real time, and the only reason that isnā€™t constantly terrifying is because of how interesting everything is. you might bounce off of the systems and mechanics and the less than stellar performance and optimization, but you might not. it deserves the chance.

23 Likes

itā€™s really excellent, I think I left my save around day 6 but I ought to get back to it

2 Likes