Games You Played Today: Actress Again: Current Code (Part 1)

I played a bit of the first echo night and it seems to be better than the sequel? it’s much denser with things to interact with, and a bit more elaborate with puzzle set ups, at least if the early on parts are compared.

I also just like being on this haunted luxury ship. is this setting uncommon? I mean, ships are used in horror games but isn’t it usually some freighter stuff rather than cruise ships?

4 Likes

Resident Evil Revelations is on a Cruise Ship and it fucking rules.

3 Likes

Resident Evil DEAD AIM (aka HEROES. NEVER. DIE.) is also on a cruise ship. Great setting. I think in that game it’s rendered very impressively, that’s a really nice looking PS2 game.

4 Likes

echo night beyond is really cool but if you haven’t played/watched it already you should also try déraciné, which is imo kind of a spiritual successor to echo night 2 and one you might appreciate more. james howell (formerly of SB) did a nice lp a few months ago which is in his twitch archives

3 Likes

I so want to play déraciné, which is frustrating, cause that vr setup is such a major hurdle. just can’t see myself affording that, nor having a space to put it, in any near future. also, I’m stubborn and wont watch someone spoil it for me.

somehow I don’t think I ever connected that the revelations ship is a cruise ship, probably cause the little footage and screens I’ve seen has been like, cargo holds and hallways rather than passenger areas

don’t I need a gun for that?

2 Likes

No lightgun needed you can just use the dualshock 2. It’s not even awkward. Even the PS1 gun survivor game can be played with just the PS1 controller.

3 Likes

still a bit in doubt. at least on ps1 it wasn’t exactly fun to play lightgun games without a working gun. but yeah, I’ll give that a shot when I can

yeah you probably should be in doubt. i consider it (Gun Survivor) playable but not super fun. it’s extremely easy, which makes it overall not that frustrating imo. The details in those PS1 environments are really nice tho. I think it was the first RE game where they made fully 3D environments?

1 Like

finished echo night and the ending ranking was nicer to me than echo night 2

no longer average! I have no clue how it measures these stats!

also, I had forgotten just how goofy some of these interiors are.

there's a hall with four joining suites each with their own ridiculous themed decoration

it’s shorter than the second game, but the environment is tighter, your walkspeed CAN be faster (it’s a menu setting) and puzzle stuff is more frequent, if not just more? even think you perform more time travel trips here, and every time you leave the ship so there’s a variety of scenery. it’s rougher and weirder than its sequel, but also a whole lot more fun.

13 Likes

Echo Night is so good. I was shocked to find out it had mediocre reviews at release because it is such a considered, unusual experience that can’t really be substituted.

3 Likes

I’d love to hear more if you’re ready, since it’s so close to stuff I’m really into like Shadowgate 64 and other early-period dark exploration games, but it didn’t work for me.

I’ll have to replay it to give full thoughts on this. Shadowgate 64 didn’t do anything for me, however, so we may want different things from this period of game

1 Like

ah, that’s very interesting; because these are both lightly-interactive games, we don’t have a lot of game terminology to describe what they are doing differently from each other. And because they both have a studied desire to hit this referential art style (and I deeply cherish From’s love of D&D sourcebook art) it’s harder to define them against each other on aesthetic grounds.

1 Like

out of a pure shameless desire for some nostalgia happiness molecules I’m playing warcraft 2 and like, putting aside all conversation about its game design merits or whatever like

this game feels like some cursed unholy ritual site where every terrible mobile game trope was spawned.

15 Likes

literally any of these could be the icon for any generic mobile strategy game

12 Likes

I would like to congratulate Squenix on making Trials of Mana a videogame after 6 months

I’ve never been so scared of rabites and red telegraphs in my life

edit: let me note how weird it is that NA and EU S-E have absolutely no news or PR or any indication that this update was coming or came out, not even on the library page for the game on Steam, nor are they observing SD3’s 25th anniversary

12 Likes

onefear_nofuture

18 Likes
4 Likes

I have been thinking about Unity Asset Dump games infesting actual consoles and how I am the #6 best player of Sword of Fortress the Oznomium because I think @dylan defeated two knights. I love to pull out that trash when folks are over.

I bought another one of these because it looked like a Myst-Clone on Switch. I am drawn to them because they store pages are always baffling. They always have a “real” price of 15-20 bucks. And I go “what the hell is this?” And while playing it go “there has to be SOMETHING here this can’t be it?”

It somewhat taps into childhood wonder. I know almost all the video games at this point. If I see something for the master system in Super Potato I am at least vaguely familar with it. Every PS1 game has at least one video. Unless it’s fucking lattice.

Unlike Steam or itch I still hold the console marketplaces as having some standard for what is a game (I am wrong.) So I am a fool and there goes my money and all I get back is bafflement and dissapointment.

Edit: ah fuck I was going to make a joke about needing harder stuff and how I will never insist pc-8801 games are good.

7 Likes

please keep an eye out for Saturn Music School 2. there are multiple versions, one of them came with a giant keyboard and is probably way too expensive, but there’s one that only came with the MIDI adapter and i saw @la_ciel posting about it and now i know my life’s goal

https://twitter.com/CobraYouFools/status/1316413042410872832

6 Likes