Games You Played Today: Actress Again: Current Code (Part 1)

Wrong. All wrong!

Troy is very similar to this. You don’t even pick a faction, you pick a HERO who leads a faction. Each HERO has his own special epic quest with steps lifted from mythology, as well as a special ability on the strategic layer that affects how you plan your expansion. (I was playing Odysseus and he can have his spies build recruitment stations in enemy cities so he can recruit units while in enemy territory, the sneaky bastard.) They also have special abilities on the tactical layer, more regular ones powered by RAGE (get it, menin aeide thea etc.) and your ultimate super sayian kaio ken technique called ARISTEIA. It’s like they designed this just for me right?

But no. It sucks. Your faction hero can’t die, of course, because everything about the structure of the game hangs on his unique identity. So if you lose he just gets “wounded” and comes back a few turns later. But you know, sometimes your Alexander the Great, victor of a hundred battles, is hanging out on his horse during a quick siege of some minor outlying town and takes a fucking arrow through the throat. It’s not all epic stories of noble tragedy, this history stuff.

I guess that’s what I resent: TW’s slow and purposeful stride away from simulationism. I do not WANT to hit a button on my general’s portrait that instantly raises a unit’s melee attack by 25% or whatever, because that shit is videogamey and stupid. To what purpose is this effort to depict Achilles’ great feats of strength if they are rendered six pixels high while I am trying to manage a chariot charge or shepherd my slingers away from a unit of enemy axemen? Actually in the tactics battles the heroes are ironically the least important units on the field, in terms of player attention; they are insanely durable and you just make sure they’re in the middle of the biggest fighting so you can trigger their abilities at opportune times. No consideration of formation or maneuver.

I hate, hate, hate the way armies are attached to heroes, or leaders. Recruit a leader, who then recruits an army. Can’t make like three units just to bolster a garrison, or a little seven-unit strike force to sneak around and take undefended towns in the enemies’ back lines. Supporting just two armies is an early-midgame move in Troy. Where’s the strategy in that?

If you’re going to give so much primacy to individual people and their superpowers - subject them to little rpg-lite games of leveling up and equipment acquisition - you might as well just make Homeric Final Fantasy Tactics. I’d play the shit out of Homeric Final Fantasy Tactics!

Look, if Creative Assembly made a game that actually attempted to simulate the real historical circumstances of the Warring States period I would love it. I want to know what ancient Chinese combat was like! But if they’re going to do it Romancing of the Three Kingdoms style I may as well just play fuckin Dynasty Warriors.

This is amplified by the pieces of the simulation that are exactly the same and haven’t been fixed in like, 15 years and 10 games. The game still has no idea how to have units interact with fortified walls. There’s still the problem where if you send your men to chase down a fleeing unit, the front rank of your guys will bump in the rearmost fleeing guy and all instantly stop and try to fight him, rather than swarming through the fleeing enemy (non-)formation to cut them all down. This kind of stuff was charming, or at least forgivable when there was so much else to like. Now it’s the straw that broke the horse’s back.

tl;dr I need my Total War games to take their cues from Thucydides, not Homer.

9 Likes

Interestingly they give primacy to ‘Record of Three Kingdoms’ as a choice next to "Romance of Three Kingdoms’ in the game, which de-powers and de-emphasizes hero/general characters. In either respect, the Romance mode works to recreate novel encounters, taken literally: Lu Bu isn’t going to die to some nobody, but neither is he able to turn around a strategic situation that’s completely against him. I’m not going to complain that they’re walking away from simulationism when they were never very good at it in the first place, and when Paradox is out there every day with a very good counter-tack to Total War’s player-centered history.

3 Likes

nah, I hated the Warhammer Total War games because it was like they were trying to cram Warcraft 3 hero units into the real time tactics battles and it just killed what I could enjoy about the game

Honestly weird it hasn’t been done. Whenever somebody threw a spear in the Iliad I imagined a Shining Force attack scene

shining06

8 Likes

WARNING: I’m about to break your heart

A friend made a tactics RPG about Greek fighting and it looks like this

but here’s your description:

6 Likes

not everything has to be mediterranean all the time

3 Likes

PS Now giving me the important categories.

10 Likes

Foaming at the mouth, shitting my pants at the suggestion that a Paradox game could be a reasonable substitute for someone that wants to simulate tactical historical combat

3 Likes

the numbers on one side go up and the ones on the other go down, it’s just like real life

1 Like

just wanted to say I’m watching and really enjoying legend of the galactic heroes right now and it’s very good about feeling “historical” in this way. sometimes the dictator you’ve spent your whole life setting the stage to come in all mythic like to righteously overthrow just dies of old age while your away on the campaign that was finally going to solidify your power to do so. it’s great

don’t see why they couldn’t make a total war game of this, space seems to operate mostly 2 dimensional, there’s even a “corridor” in space no one can just fly around for some reason but we’re glad because that means someone builds a big space fortress in there, war needs its funnels

5 Likes

Yeah ironically I think Total War could work wonderfully in fully fictional worlds as long as they took the time and effort to nerdily and joylessly make everything as realistic and practical as possible

1 Like

Warhammer Total War was the blizzardification of the Total War series

been in a shitty mood the last couple days, so i’ve been playing sega games while trying to get my head right. and i guess because playing racing games is my gimmick these days, i’ve been playing the “original mode” in super hang-on. funny that i completely forgot about this game in my rush to consume games about fast cars, given that i loved this game even before i became a fan of auto racing. it’s definitely the best of the super scaler games on the genesis.

also, gotta love this guy deeply interested in racing

14 Likes

child of eden dream girl maximalism forever

1 Like

Couple of levels in on Turok 2

It’s a very different game to the first one, the bonus levels are gone and there’s less emphasis on platforming, it’s less pure… It’s got a story and cutscenes and everything.

Even with the new ‘point of interest’ markers the game really asks a lot from the player. The levels are enormous mazes where you have to find a bunch of hidden items to complete the mission. It’s a bit bullshit but I kind of love it. You’ve got to earn it.

I never realised how much Halo takes from this as well: different alien races working awkwardly together, big jumps, sticky grenades, a blue alien lady talking in your ear (her voice actor is very good).

5 Likes

I love this mode! It feels so good to zone out to. The manual has great portraits and bios: https://segaretro.org/images/f/f1/Superhangon_md_us_manual.pdf

4 Likes

I think greybeardy and highly technical is just never what Total War wanted to be. It appeared that way for the first decade of its existence because what they were attempting (tactical + strategy layer, 3D pre-modern tactics at an unreal scale) was so new and ambitious, but it never had the specificity of the long-standing strategy wargames nor the desire to model history like the Paradox games. They want to compete with Civilization and its generalities.

1 Like

may have to give up on REmake, or at least on the idea of finishing it before the month is out. just can’t seem to stop reloading every time I make a mistake.

2 Likes

Never realized this mode didn’t have timers on the individual mini-tracks. That takes a lot of the pressure off for enabling…hang-on hanging-out.

2 Likes

I think you’re overly focused on the strategy layer, which I feel is universally despised. The tactics half was always about greybeardy specificity and they’ve stripped that back in favor of video gamey hero units and magic buffs and rock paper scissors dynamics