Games You Played Today: Actress Again: Current Code (Part 1)

it’s an interesting resident evil clone. if you can handle truck controls I think it plays just fine. I think it has really great atmosphere and storytelling! aya is a much more coherent character in this game than she is in the first (where I feel like she is either being cool and silent or screaming for no reason).

I haven’t finished it yet so maybe the rest of it sucks! but I think it has some interesting and well executed ideas.

2 Likes

illbleed is not by any stretch “good” but it is fairly compelling from start to finish as just a bizarre, almost outsider-art level game.

blue stinger is very much in the same vein though I regrettably never finished it.

4 Likes

Finished Ring Fit Adventure :tada:
On to the post-game

5 Likes

You get out of here with this Ghouls 'n Ghosts 'n Goblins slander! :angrypig:

Anyways I have this problem where because I picked up a copy of Witcher 1 on sale ages ago I’d never let myself try 2 or 3 until I gave this one a shot, so today I finally said to hell with it and loaded it up. I then had to go look at forums for a bit to figure out how to make the nightmarish cutscene stutter go away as it was literally making me nauseous.

Between opening cinematics and cutscenes I don’t think I even got to press a button for the first 15 or so minutes, with my guy climbing up roofs and doing ninja stuff that I don’t think I can do in the actual game.

I eventually got to play and finished up the prologue section and the story appears to be well presented and acted, not sure about the actual content of it yet. The combat is very dull so far, you seem to click on an enemy to attack and then click on them again when your sword icon lights up which kinda makes every battle a rhythm QTE. I hope they add more to it.

I saved as early as I could into chapter 1 proper and they dropped so many fantasy gobbledygook names that I literally lost track of what I am supposed to do beyond “there are scary dogs that attack people around the town, maybe they should die.”

6 Likes

There’s never been a better time to play Awesomenauts

2 Likes

I’m officially rich.

10 Likes

extensive research shows Wheel of Fortune for the N64 is the best Wheel to play remotely with friends.

4 Likes

I am not playing it yet, but this game looks really beautiful:
Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling

The press says “the best Paper mario since Thousand years door”

I’m very curious about this because I love bug shit. The stuff I’ve seen just doesn’t look very strong. I feel like I’m missing something or maybe I’m just rooting for it because we need more bug shit.

Too bad it’s tied up with Dangen Entertainment :confused:

4 Likes

I think I am missing something: what do you mean by that?

incredibly sus publisher, i mostly know about them never paying the Devil Engine devs, but i think there was other things too

Yeah, it’s not the dev’s fault at all (and the game does look good!), it’s just that the game’s publisher, Dangen Entertainment, has come under a whole lot of heat in the last year or so.

There’s a letter authored by a woman who worked with the company that goes into this nitty gritty out there, but this Kotaku article more or less covers it.

Just kinda out there with seeing games published by Nicalis and going “ah jeez.”

4 Likes

Metroid Samus Returns sucks shit. How did they fuck it up this bad

10 Likes

I don’t know why but I really want to play this. I haven’t even played Metroid 2 but I am just so curious about this one.

i’m definitely more curious than i am about asmr

err… am2r

1 Like

i have played pieces of several of these games and largely don’t like any of them (including Shovel Knight by the way - do not understand what people like about that game. and no don’t explain it to me, lol, i’ve already had enough of those conversations). i played some of both the Messenger and Axiom Verge during random IGF judging and was quite baffled to see how popular both games ended up being. Katana Zero is another one i’ve played some of that i truly fail to understand the appeal of. i guess it’s not for me!!

i mean re: metroidvanias i’ve beat Hollow Knight (i thought it was pretty good overall!) and got very far into Environmental Station Alpha (very difficult, but i did like a lot about it) but i don’t consider those pure retro-aping since they have some more modern design stuff going on in them. Knytt Underground is another one i beat last year and i thought it was a very interesting/unique game in a lot of parts and felt distinct from a lot of that genre. i’m not overall a big fan of metroidvanias esp as aping their tropes has become ever-present but at least there’s a lot of different kinds of recent stuff that fits into that genre.

i will say i do remember playing a retro game called Super Win The Game that i didn’t think was great but like nailed some kind of eerie cold emptiness that i get from a lot of NES games.

3 Likes

Advanced Super Metroid Returns

1 Like

I’m still meaning to check out a few more of the games you’ve mentioned. I think I might wind up liking Shovel Knight if the platforming feels good.

IMO as a person who likes shovel knight, the platforming is distinctly not-good. Like, the bouncing off of enemies thing is alright for a while but shovel knight has no momentum and the whole affair is just very…rote, I guess? It’s very perfunctory.

The appeal to me lies in the music and art, both of which I find to to be very charming. I think that games (and media in general) that rely on charm are often super divisive, because if the charm doesn’t work on you then it’s kinda like “why the fuck would anyone like this game?”

I have such a hard time recommending Shovel Knight because of this, personally.

5 Likes