Games You Played Today: 358 Threads Over 2

wait until you learn who becomes keyblade master!

The other day I got a new record in the mail (the new Blanck Mass). I had ordered it blindly, so confident I was that Iā€™d like it. Because it arrived before the MP3s were available (sure, I probably could have found them on Soulseek) I decided to put on the record and play Wilmotā€™s Warehouse.

Iā€™d played Wilmotā€™s Warehouse before, but not to the end. I reached a point where I thought I might fail because things were a little messy in my warehouse and I just never picked the game back up. This time it was on PS4 as opposed to PC and this time I reached the end (though that was last night, not the same day I listened to the record).

As for the album itself, it wasnā€™t what I was expecting after Animated Violence Mild but I like it. Long tracks that go a lot of different places. (To be clear, I am happy when a work of art is not what Iā€™m expecting. I wish this would happen more often with video games.)

3 Likes

Venmo, itā€™s you!!

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry is this a suggestion that babyrude will be present at next sbcon

ā€œnext sbconā€ 2049 in New Cascadia after Stanfordā€™s F.E.V. is rolled out under exclusive license to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation

6 Likes

the weather is warming here and i feel my depression lifting a little. the days when iā€™m laying in bed awake all night thinking ā€œnothing in this world has the capacity to excite me and everything seems like a waste of timeā€ are coming to an end and instead the nights of me dropping a gba on my face as i fall asleep mid-battle in pokemon have returned. itā€™s a pattern that has gone on my whole life; maybe thatā€™s why my cheeks are so soft, tenderized by nintendoā€™s hammer over many yearsā€¦?

over the past year iā€™ve had an increasing itch to play some srpg, or at least something with griddy combat; fire emblem three houses was too ugly to consider and i bought a copy of game boy wars advance 1+2 but never ended up touching it for whatever reason. finally i tried out front mission 3 and itā€™s really hitting the spot. i know the story branches into two routes and i havenā€™t had to make a choice yet, so iā€™m inclined to believe iā€™m not too far into it. so far, the difficulty curve is just what i am in the mood for. i never make it through the battles unscathed, but i also see a clear path to victory every time and am able to actualize it without much trouble. the character (mech) customization is also at a happy medium for me; that is to say that there is a small amount of it but itā€™s nowhere near, say, armored core which feels like maybe if i hadnā€™t dropped out of precalc in high school i would have a shot at being able to actually optimize my mechs rather than just change their parts around.

so the mechanics of fm3 themselves are all fine and good but whatā€™s really drawing me to the game are its creative elements. in the past i had a very positive encounter with the aesthetic sensibilities of front mission 2 and although thereā€™s nothing quite as striking as that palette select in this one, the in-game internet is beautiful! thereā€™s a y2kool-feeling start-up screen, customizable backgrounds, a stimulating (though truthfully confusing to navigate) interface for going to different pagesā€¦and the websites themselves are fun to pick through, both for their soft worldbuilding elements and for the little puzzles they can contain, breaking into secret sections of the websites and using scripts to decrypt scrambled files. i maintain that even just this ignorable side-content is more interesting and engaging than hypnospace outlaw was for my aesthetic sensibilities.

and with worldbuilding on the mind, i am very interested to see where the story ends up going for one main reason: it seems to focus primarily on south/south-east asia, which is not only a rare frontier for video games to tackle, but is also an area with a ton of history regarding japanese colonization. for a game that (presumably) tackles the human side of war and how futile it can seem (gosh iā€™m really getting my hopes up for this one) i wonder if it will have anything to say at all about how japan historically relates to the region (okay i know it wonā€™t and iā€™m just setting myself up for disappointment) besides the standard japanese political tactic of refusal to acknowledge or just flat-out denial. i was gonna say iā€™m not getting my hopes up but i absolutely am. i am also absolutely on track to being disappointedā€¦but what if front mission 3 is not just a good mech game, but had powerful things to say about imperialism and state violence? what if. iā€™m sure itā€™s not. iā€™m looking forward to being let down.

iā€™ve been playing a bit of picross s in bed, which i beat last year but iā€™m cleaning up the few puzzles i used assists on so thatā€™s been nice to pick away at. thereā€™s nothing quite like how picross makes time disappear. iā€™m able to get through puzzles that stumped me in the past; maybe iā€™m just smarter than i was a year ago! but at the same time, i legitimately cannot understand what mega picross is asking me to do, so maybe not.

iā€™ve also been working through kingā€™s field (the first japanese one) over the past week and iā€™m basically at the end of it as iā€™ve met the final boss but just canā€™t beat it yet. iā€™m really impressed at what this game would have been offering to the console gaming space upon its launch just two weeks after the playstation came out at the end of 1994: a free-roaming (in terms of where to go, but also thereā€™s no grid system the player is stuck to) dungeon to explore, with the only restrictions being the power curve and locked doors/traps.

late-night sessions leaning into my pvm in the dark just like i did with demonā€™s souls about a year ago feel great, claustrophobic, disorienting; if kingā€™s field 1 is good enough at this, iā€™m so excited to play the next three in the series. even just minutes into the game i found myself absurdly turned around in some tunnels, resorting to my mental trick of ā€œjust hold my hand to the left wall and never lose contact with itā€ to make it out. i was stoked to get a map (my ex-courier brain works best with maps rather than just raw spatial data) and in a way even more stoked to find that it was incomplete; that the dead fool from whom i looted it was not a bad enough dude to make it into the true depths of the maze.

combat is clunky but fine, as the game is designed around it. circle-strafing isnā€™t working great for me with the characterā€™s turning speed, so iā€™ve been having fun getting into a rhythm of stunlocking enemies between sword and magic attacks. speaking of, iā€™ve got the sword of moonlight and i read that itā€™s supposed to have a special sword magic as well as a few other weapons. my class is swordmaster and i can get the one on the colichemarde to work just fine, but canā€™t get a special attack out of any other weapon. if anyone has any insight as to what could be going on, iā€™d love to know!

ultimately yeah, itā€™s a little ugly and clunky but even from this first game that fromsoft ever made theyā€™ve really got the atmosphere down. i donā€™t know that iā€™ll ever come back to it after beating it, but iā€™m really looking forward to seeing how these elements are refined over the course of the series.

19 Likes

i know, and i have come to terms

1 Like

ten yard fight is a really fun game

instead of making an american football videogame, they made a videogame based on american football, and it really works.
i canā€™t get past the first stage though lol

3 Likes

IIRC this branch happens within like the first 30 minutes of the game

1 Like

Selectbutton.txt

2 Likes

Street Fighter 30th has the worst online lag Iā€™ve experienced in any game ever

3 Likes

Second Impact has a widescreen mode :hot_face:

I played in the first BRAVERY NETWORK ONLINE tournament since itā€™s early access release last week. BNO is gay pokemon. Itā€™s full of yomi.

I got stomped. Later, I took it out on HOBO in Herzog Zwei by making boats on the island map that turrets couldnā€™t target.

9 Likes

just played an Outrun 2 cabinet at the Pinball Hall of Fame, having come upon it by sheer coincidence after playing C2C on the PS2 for past few weeks at home. guy working there said I was the first person heā€™d seen complete the whole race. had a rad time!

13 Likes

Yeah the game absolutely does not show how consequential this choice is, and I was extremely surprised when I learned there was another entire story branch

Itā€™s like
Hey what do you want to eat

• Pizza ā†’ Aeris dies
  • Ramen ā†’ Barrett dies
4 Likes

In Mario Odyssey, some days ago I finsihed the ā€œmainā€ adventure (avoiding the wedding).
Now I have the chance to go around and collect more moons, and aim to Darker Side of the moon (which, unlike Dark Side of the moon, should be a full fledged level).
Should I revisit the levels now that I can break the moon boulders and find more moons around? I did so in the initial level and feels like fillers.
Would I miss anything interesting / challenging / original if I decided to quit the game?

If you are asking that it is time to stop. Sounds like you are done with it and going for completion is only going to make your time with it worse.

5 Likes

I think you are rightā€¦ well, unlessI can find something new and interesting in the City level, for example

How is this game wrt the joy of movement?

1 Like

Far Cry 2 has been kind of interesting for the 9 hours Iā€™ve played of it, but Iā€™m not sure if thereā€™s much potential in the later parts of the game for things to get much more exciting. Early on it was really neat to be surprised by the randomness of the game, but I am feeling the monotony of the combat encounters more and more. The fights arenā€™t boring, exactly, but they are all so simple, even on the hardest difficulty nothing is really demanding that I change up my strategies. I keep thinking being able to carry at least one more weapon would make things more fun, but then I might just have an even greater advantage over these simple encounters. But it is pretty boring to just stick with the same two weapons I feel competent with, and I can see why Ben Abraham thought to restrict his playstyle the way he did with his permanent death blog. Iā€™m leaning towards giving it up soon, I think. Does anyone here recommend I stick with it though? This game could have used that system from MGSV where if you kill a lot of enemies with headshots, the enemies will start wearing helmets.

Also, I have a question about the voice acting. Maybe this is something similar to actual Central African dialects, but the cadence with which English is spoken in this game is so fricken fast and clipping? There are zero pauses. Itā€™s almost like the audio engineer deleted all of them in editing, but I think itā€™s just how the lines were delivered. The way the Jackal talks at this timestamp is pretty typical of how every other NPC talks.

8 Likes