Games You Played Today: 358 Threads Over 2

I’m kind of bored by the first hour of Bowser’s Fury and I wonder if it gets better or whether I’m just done with Mario

The last one I enjoyed was 3D World on Wii U but I find after buying it on Switch I have rather little desire to either replay it or play more of Bowser’s Fury

as long as you accept the notion that part of the point of Anodyne 2 is that you’ll never quite know what to make of it then i think you’ll get into it okay

Currently playing Spirit of the North. Although mechanically it’s a kind of a forgettable Journeylike, the aesthetic is enough to carry it for me.

I’ve been craving an arctic-themed game and I love the cute animations on the fox like how its ears fold back when you press the bark button

Also this might be correlation not causation but I could swear that the Unreal Engine look of this game is way sharper than any Unity game I’ve ever played

1 Like

It annoys me that I had to beat 3D World before I could unlock Rosalina and play the game as it was meant to be played. As Princess of the Cosmos.

3 Likes

yeah Osman is one of those games i’ll show to non-videogame people to explain why videogames are cool.

i spent a lot of time in college trying to 1CC it, but similar to Strider, its last level is just ridiculous. i should probably just learn the strats, though. it’s such a beautiful experience. has there ever been any other game with its setting and aesthetics?

7 Likes

if it were ever a crime to not release or port a game to anything other than arcades, Osman has to be near the top of that list, if not #1.

bold statement, i know, but like, we got Strider 2, instead.

and i mean Strider 2 is cool, but Osman is the real shit

6 Likes

there is a company that has the rights to mitchell games, right? someone’s released some of their other stuff, i’m sure

so there’s hope

as long as my memory is correct

maybe

2 Likes

today i discovered the swith lite’s dpad really really sucks
you cant even do diagonals on this thing without slamming your thumb down! i had to use the stick to do a qcf! wtf!!!

3 Likes

fwiw it runs so much faster and better on the Switch. I’m enjoying it more this time around than I did on the Wii U

3 Likes

That makes me sad but also makes me laugh

I understand why they did what they did with the joycons (not even having a d pad) but man

Gunpei perfected it all those years ago

Forever a toy company

2 Likes

No, in the end it still gives too much the “usual 3D Mario vibes”, so if you are getting bored, it will not get that much different.

3 Likes

Cleared out all Type A stages on Herzog Zwei as red team. I’m impressed all the maps have very distinct design differences that make them all feel unique among one another. Also I dug around in the manual for the story and I don’t know how much of this is “new canon” (the manual for the Switch version is fully new) but the two warring factions being named “Liberal Democrat Committee” and “Democrat-Liberal Alliance” is really funny.

edit: I also went and cleared Abgrund on Type D difficulty, which as far as I can tell gives the CPU 6+ AA cannons at its main base, along with putting one on a couple neutral bases. This makes the early game a lot more scrappy since you can’t capture as fast. Also you kind of have to know how the CPU works (nothing about it changes between difficulties as far as I can tell) so you can get it stuck doing the same thing over and over while you slowly build up a force strong enough to push through an overkill amount of base defense. The game feels even more in favour of the defending side, so the trick is just to throttle the CPU’s offense without outright killing it, so it doesn’t instead divert all of it funds to bulking up into a stalemate.

Bikers can be good to distract the CPU early-game, even if they tend to run out of fuel on more complicated terrain. In maps with water-access bases like Strand or Oase, nothing beats boats for the early game harassment, and you can actually get a good amount of damage on the opponent early on. It would’ve been nice to have some sort of construction speed bonus per held base, because even if you’re 9-0 up on base control you can still have a really hard time breaking through the defense of a CPU that doesn’t have to go further out than its base walls to put units down defensively. It turns the last 5 minutes of any given match into kind of a slog, but it’s not too bad.

11 Likes

Was invaded in Anor Londo, was blocked from walking out of a door by an invisible wall, and backstabbed from the side

1 Like

perfect

come to think of it, i’m also really curious to try ogre battle one day… it’s the matsuno game i know the least about

1 Like

wonderboy returns remix is a pretty fun old fashioned platform game. though it unfortunately does have the super turbo hd remix problem, where having hd graphics makes it look a bit like a cheapo flash game

master blaster zero is a pretty good semi-linear platformer with top down parts. it’s better than i expected, though i don’t know why i didn’t expect it, i fuckin love inticreates platformers.

hover is a game i wish i liked more. i just feel nothing at all while playing it, and it really does feel like they made it for pc first and did the bare minimum to put it onto consoles. like to navigate menus, nistead of moving item to item like a normal game, you slowly move a pointer with the analogue stick as if you were using a mouse. obviously, that’s not a big problem by itself, but it’s the symptom that’s easiest to describe

6 Likes

Love hearing slurs in Kingdom Hearts. Thanks Hunchback of Notre Dame

1 Like

Just got the Magic Key in DQ11 and man there’s alot of garbage in these chests

2 Likes

I’ve been playing this Watch Dogs 2 game, for no particular reason at all. Man… this game kind of messed with my head. It’s ridiculous how well they nailed that 2016 pre-T***p Bay Area internet of shit vibe. Lots of topical conversations about like how dumb vaping is, gentrification, and social media bullshit. It got me thinking about how I listened to a lot of the Laser Time podcast back in 2016, whose hosts also lived in SF before it all sorta fell apart in 2017 and they moved away or got real jobs and now the show just sort of sucks. In Watch Dogs 2, you get the sense that this was the protagonist’s big moment of glory, before they’re destined to just sort of fade into obscurity and have to go actually deal with real life stuff. I’m sure by 2021 they would have been priced out of even Oakland and drifted off somewhere. It’s a reminder that all good things must come to an end… Not because of anything someone did or didn’t do, but just because everyone’s “moment” is over, eventually.

A Ubisoft game made me think about this shit!!

21 Likes

hey what is this

last remnant

1 Like