Games You Played Today: 358 Threads Over 2

please play psychic force and its sequels

they are excellent

4 Likes

There is an airport in the game that’s pretty similar. The game is an apotheosis of the whole Wild Geese vibe - covered transport trucks, guard towers, African bush.

1 Like

The best part of Super Mario 3D World is the option to play as not-Mario. My game has been the story of a Toad and Peach in bitter civil war over the crown.

11 Likes

i 1cc’d star parodia!!

26 Likes

I bought the one Capcom pack that comes with Progear and Gigawing and have been enjoying those as two games I suck at but adore. I am getting better, I think, but standard difficulty Progear is A LOT.

3 Likes

Moving on to SMTIV: Apocalypse, the reason to play these sequels/expansions to mainline games is because they’re typically the weirder ones right? Games cobbled together from leftover assets assembled in interesting fashion to see what comes out the other side. That’s what I look for in this type of game and so far Apocalypse is delivering. Your handler this time is an Irish deity named “Dagda” that speaks with a brogue and is generally an asshole. Also, you have a sidekick that looks exactly like slimer, who in a past life was a Samurai who possibly committed suicide by drowning after peeping on some women bathing.

2 Likes

It’s probably on this forum but I had a good time with that one until something 10 hours in that felt so morally repugnant that I just stopped.

edit: i only remember the emotion not the context.

Speaking of which I am still enjoying Shadow of the Tomb Raider! If you want to look deep into the heart of the gamer look at this:

Why is this 30 hour game that the main story can be beaten in 8 able to be beaten in 8?

Personally I liked the big JRPG towns that have Square-Enix polish all over them. I was surprised how much this has FF7R in it. Or the other way around. They have even once or twice pulled a Nomura.

But also stuff happens in this game and I only vaguely understand the plot. But then an NPC in these delious towns will say “oh tomb raider I found an unraided tomb. Are you interested?”

I bought have to constantly use Detective Vision to find items because my brain cannot read triple A environments but also I keep being taken back by how cool the jungle and tombs look.

Also Lara rolled onto a corpse and it was the grossiest thing I’ve done in a video game. Everyone one of the very scripted tight squeeze sections triggered a full body response from me.

1 Like

Been playing through all the maps in Herzog Zwei (switch port). The really unique army control mechanic + only being able to produce one unit at a time creates some interesting gameplay where if you want to send a large force instead of a trickle you have to make a bunch of units on defend mode, then quickly pick them up and tell them to attack one by one. It’s a really interesting form of RTS macro that unfortunately favours defense. As far as I’ve been able to find out, the 4 difficulties (A through D) just change what defensive units the CPU starts with, so I’m going to count this game as beat once I get through all of it on Type A, since trying to break through a huge defense can be a little tedious and I don’t want it to be more of that.

It’s a really fun game if you like sending brightly coloured tanks to fight other brightly coloured tanks + fighting for money to make more tanks. It looks great, the music rules, and the Switch version adds an extra UI layer that adds really useful info like a permanently visible minimap, so it’s a really good way to play the game.

12 Likes

picked up all the packs in Capcom Arcade like a rube but whatever haha. been enjoying playing through the titles, especially the ones i never played before, and appreciate the presentation.

mostly i’ve been focused on Time Attacking Strider and am currently resting at #26 with my time. it’s interesting because it’s kind of like competing in TAS speedruns? you lose “points” for continuing or using the rewind feature, but since you’re only being ranked on your clear time, there is literally no reason not to use tool assists. it’s fun!

also deciding to finally go for the 1CC of Strider. i am usually able to get up to the Amazons or the last stage on 1 credit, but that last stage is just so ridiculously precise. going to have to practice it a LOT before i make it through without continuing.

also just been thinking about how unique Strider still is as a game. it has dynamic music in every level, it has a physics engine of sorts that works with slopes - the whole thing is very cinematic in a way that nothing else really was, prior.

9 Likes

I am trying Bowser Fury and it’s a very interesting game. Quick, adrenalinic and creative. It makes me think that Mario Odyssey is a much blander game, and this resonates so much more given I am playing both at the same time, for the first time.

2 Likes

Hmm, sounds dope. I’ve barely played Strider even though I loved Osman.

4 Likes

Yeah Osman is a fav of mine, but the seeds are definitely in Strider. i recommend the arcade version, though the Genesis version is ok

6 Likes
5 Likes

i’m so excited to play this game. how are you finding it?

1 Like

I LOVE IT, but that’s after looking up how some of the battle mechanics work. I mentally wrote this off when it first came out – it looked bland, and I actually thought it was a musou or something from the screens – but the game surprisingly has a decent following, so there are a lot of good resources. A/V has a unique vibe, with a lot of the music being great.

It’s different, the battles are more about turning the tide and bringing morale up. Lots of sidequests with new abilities and characters and to find.

It doesn’t play like FF12 but kind of has that feel, and a little bit of Ogre Battle too, with SaGa stat and skill progression. A game that’s yours to discover!

3 Likes

Rapidly sending and delivering bikers is a fun and probably inefficient method of harassment. I think the main bases have too much durability and/or units take too long to build in the late game. I haven’t messed with it yet, but the ability to mess with those parameters in the switch version is the thing I’m most grateful for. After changing the default controls, the most disorienting thing at first was entering and exiting the menu screen.

1 Like

Osman is one of the most beautiful games ever made. I know it’s basically just Strider but I just look at playthroughs of it with pure wonder. the truest form of video gaming.

20 Likes

I needed a thing to mess with while I tried (in vain) to reinstall windows so I messed with AnnaPurna’s Florence which I guess is less a game and more an interactive comic book.

The whole arc of the story was very predictable, but the art was cute. And there are two bits that felt more poignant because of the interactivity, credit where it’s due. But overall this whole thing was very slight, and I don’t think it’s at all something anyone needs to seek out.

1 Like

I’m playing Anodyne 2. It is neat but compared to the buttery smooth pleasure action of Kero Blaster I’m not sure what to make of it.

5 Likes