Games You Played Today: 358 Threads Over 2

@idiot is the coolest, knows everything about megaten/persona games. Thoroughly answered all my dumbass questions about SMTIV and helped me beat the game.

8 Likes

planning on doing something stupid like getting a platinum trophy in kh1fm

3 Likes

I love KH1FM, so I am cheering you on! That’s my favorite KH game and the KH game I think is the best.

i’ve been weighing up giving it another go soon, probably my fifth attempt in 15 years.

I’m not sure what to think of Panzer Dragoon Orta after the first two and a half levels…it’s a lot colder and more convoluted than Zwei and I’m not really feeling this dragon transformation thing…like the alternate forms haven’t felt distinct enough to hook into my brain yet (visually or functionally) and figuring out which one I needed to use in the face of imminent death was kinda frustrating. I probably just need to play more and get a feel for it. I thought it would click a lot quicker. Definitely feels restricting and flat coming off Crimson Skies though I still dig the 360-look-around aspect. The level I’m on right now with the shimmery river and twin centipedes keeps me thinking “I want to play this as a (on-rails-ish?) Gunvalkyrie character” and idk maybe I’d prefer the whole game that way!

4 Likes

played a little bit of sor for the first time in months

it’s still excellent

also, has any game got a more aggressive use of pixel dithering than the original guilty gear?

1 Like

Well, in 256-color pixel art like Guilty Gear dithering started to be used a little less frequently, but yeah lots of them

mac-dark-castle-screenshot

f4c3ecf7a40d

7 Likes

one of the funniest things about the N64 is that underneath all that VI blur is an incredible amount of dithering

8 Likes

Good news! You now legally have to refer to me as the #1 Puyo player in Oregon

EDIT: NEVER FUCKING MIND

37 Likes

i am enjoying the internet in front mission 3 much more than i enjoyed hypnospace outlaw

18 Likes

i am just playing the viking game

2 Likes

Started playing the famous SNES blobber Shin Megami Tensei I. A lot of its mechanics feel idiosyncratic but in a way that never escaped the series, so it’s been fun learning the vocabulary and pacing of it for the first time. The introduction to the game - both the starting cutscene and the early playing hours - are some phenomenal mood setting.

10 Likes

… I had posted this in the wrong thread…

I am finally playing Super Mario Odyssey. It was the initial reason for I had bought the Nintendo Switch.
The game is both charming and childish (I have just finished New Donk City level). The graphics and style are gorgeous, full of great touches. I am not sure if I am satisfied by the level design and boss design, though. What’s the general opinion here? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Can’t say the general opinion but I personally feel like it’s closer to SMB3 than any other marios I.e. the main engine driving it is essentially novelty, but in a way I deeply enjoy.

It’s also perfect for short or long sessions in a way few games are

4 Likes

i’m pretty mixed on Super Mario Odyssey. there were good moments for me but as an overall experience i dunno. some of the stages had unusual gimmicks that were interesting… but other stages just felt like stock Mario environments. i wish they’d focused more on the more interesting stages. like make New Donk City the hub, or at least make the progression between stages less linear.

3 Likes

i meant to add that the “getting kinda weird/creative in some ways but in other ways just falling back on being a stock Mario game” kind of embodies Nintendo of the last 5-6 years to me. i felt similarly about Breath of the Wild both breaking the mold in some ways but also being “save the princess” Zelda at the end of the day… though i did like Breath of the Wild more. i think that’s the thing about Nintendo. they’re so locked into protecting their status as a company at this point that even when they experiment it ultimately is just a way to reassert their own… IP and cultural dominance. it feels like there’s no possibility for like the games to be a venue for like serious self-evaluation or meta-commentary like an Earthbound or whatever. they have too much of an iron grip. and i think with like… Mario Maker or Breath of the Wild, we’ve seen Nintendo go as far as they’re really going to go in this current era.

9 Likes

I agree, and am also disappointed. Despite my constant griping about Nintendo and how much they suck shit, they have still made some of my favorite games ever. And BotW felt like a step in the right direction towards a certain kind of nintendo modernity! I loved it!

I fully expect BotW2 to have a fairy who stops you all the time to tell you things you already know

3 Likes

Nah, Nintendo hasn’t done anything that egregious in a long time. Animal crossing didn’t hold your hand that much, neither did odyssey. They’re just rereleasing skyward sword because it’s old enough to be nostalgic for some folks now and a good stopgap this year.

Nintendo always does rereleases like that, and announces them early on. It’s just that the games they have for re release are coming from a shittier era now.

6 Likes

It kind of went about it in a different way by gradually introducing things you can do into the game, and the pace was annoyingly slow for a lot of people and made them resort to time traveling. It’s not patronizing in exactly the same way as the Wii era tutorial companions were, but it can still be an issue from time to time, especially in games that could attract a much wider audience.

3 Likes

Ever since I watched that uncanny video of Miyamoto’s Super Nintendo World walkthrough, I’ve had this feeling that Mario games are increasingly motivated by whatever design impulse was behind building a theme park and it’s a real turn off personally. From Galaxy to Odyssey and Bowser’s Fury, everything feels overly curated, not just the level design but maybe more significantly, the tone and the building of expectations. If the tutorials are holding one’s hand, the travel agent energy throughout is holding one’s imagination. Which is not to say there haven’t been some very clever and even inspiring level elements and gameplay gimmicks but the way they’re tied together more and more like amusement park experiences means I crack a smile quite a bit but rarely experience true wonder. Of course, I might just be pining for a completely different family tree to have spawned from SM64’s more hands-off playground vs. theme park approach (which may have just been a fluke/result of their not really knowing how to handle Mario in three dimensions at that point and these later developments in the series are them course correcting).

I gotta play BotW, though. Maybe the Zelda series will be spared the “we’re on holiday” energy because that’s not in its DNA the way it has maybe always lurked in Mario’s?

19 Likes