Games You Played Today: 358 Threads Over 2

I remembered that Tyd wag vir Niemand has a demo so I went and played that. It feels like it has the rough sketch of an okay idea but the pipes being so curved that if you are even a step off center you are basically stuck half-falling off while half trying to get back up (which normally results in you holding towards the pipe not moving or falling) is a dire, virtually game breakingly poor decision. I think I got maybe a jump or two further than you but I could even bring myself to finish the demo after that happened to me the dozenth or so time.

1 Like

Change the thread title mods.

2 Likes

I keep thinking about the game still. especially what a great job they did writing dutch. not too many videogame characters Iā€™ve given as much thought to as him. Iā€™m definitely gonna replay it at some point, which Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ve done for an openworld game that wasnā€™t gta iv before. the story does kind of go along at a relatively fast pace for one of these types of games though.

3 Likes

Played some Missile Dancer. Missile danced all the way to stage 6, the furthest Iā€™ve ever missile danced.

2 Likes

14 text boxes to give your AC seasonal/holiday character 1 item

3 Likes

canā€™t get over Dutchā€™s voice cracking and failing him every time he tries to inspire this gang of outlaws by talking about political liberation

5 Likes

I played:

Death Crown, a ā€œminimalistā€ RTS. You have only three buildings - mine (economy), tower (defense), barracks (attack) - and must take out the enemy fort. Itā€™s simple like a board game, and thereā€™s some fun things you can pull off, like leapfrogging towers to cut someone off of a good expansion or selling buildings right before they get destroyed and rebuilding them as a ā€œfuck youā€ to the other guy. I really enjoyed teasing out the different strategies I could employ. Has a sort of surrealist 1-bit Heavy Metal aesthetic going on, where you do stuff like crack open floating rectangles and make wizard towers explode in gore.

Itā€™s $2 right now in the LNY sale and Iā€™d definitely recommend getting it at that price if youā€™re into the action-puzzle-RTS melange.

Identity V, a Chinese free-to-play knockoff of Dead By Daylight. Played this one because of some troll that came to the DBD subreddit to rant about how itā€™s ā€œso much more balancedā€ lol.

It does some interesting progression things I think DBD could learn from - each survivor has their own little challenge tree to work through, for example - but overall itā€™s just a much more miserable experience. You get animation-locked so much and the animations and long and stilted, so moving around the environment is awful. Thereā€™s about five billion pallets on every map so every chase is relatively safe. Each survivor has specific perks that you canā€™t get on others (maybe a good thing for some people, but I like DBDā€™s flexibility). And the people who play it are even more obnoxious than DBD players. I spent almost 2 hours in the ranked mode and was camped to death on first hook every single match lol.

2 Likes

Dutch is a major highlight for me too. A lot of people I know have bounced off it early on, and I think thatā€™s because it takes a while to get perspective on Dutch and notice that heā€™s a con romanticist who isnā€™t very capable. That ironic enthusiasm Arthur has as a protagonist takes a little to show itself, and itā€™s the solemn heart of the whole story.

3 Likes

I read this as an affectation, that Dutch is playing the part of the emotionally-committed leader who canā€™t control just how deeply he feels about the ā€œfamilyā€ that heā€™s coagulated around him, and the voice cracking is a tic that he uses to signal this.

ā€œEnjoyā€ may be too strong a word, I was definitely compelled by the sub-theme of RDR2 about people playing out a failing strategy even as their world falls apart around them, it was a bit heavy-handed when the characters are using it to talk about their ā€œway of lifeā€; when itā€™s more about the individual personalities and their self-created narratives itā€™s both humanistic and genuinely bleak in a way that commercial games rarely are.

5 Likes

His voice reads as fake and true alternately and sometimes simultaneously to me. Or, like all good con men he has to believe in it before he can make the sale but the skin is wearing thin.

Thereā€™s no arguing Red Dead 2ā€™s narrative is just a long coast downhill; I had to play it by checking back in every few weeks. Less a narrative and more a place, or an immersive theater project, the actors holding a scene as static as possible until the audience soaks it

4 Likes

For everyone who canā€™t get enough of Red Dead 2 I have to recommend The Strange Man on YouTube:

I donā€™t know if heā€™s a Rockstar developer or just someone very prescient and good at analyzing the game but his videos explaining the various mysteries and things in the game are amazing.

1 Like

judging for a certain indie game festival started several days back and i got about a day or two into it before getting too depressed by the whole thing and spending a lot of the last couple of days playing Spelunky 2. itā€™s pretty good! there are some things i like about it more than the original. the Chinese/ocean themed stages are great. but also the game is hard as fuck and iā€™ve been grinding so long to get shortcuts and move on. if it wasnā€™t background for me listening to podcasts iā€™m not sure iā€™d be spending all this time playing it.

6 Likes

Overheard my wife playing Mario Odyssey for the first time:

ā€œWhat is this Around-the-World-in-80-Days-Steampunk aestheticā€
ā€œLook at him. He looks like Veggie Tales. I hate it.ā€

24 Likes
6 Likes

Is your wife me by chance

6 Likes

I am 99% certain that my wife is not @Father.Torque.

4 Likes

ā€¦so youā€™re saying thereā€™s still a chanceā€¦

8 Likes

I got my copy of Dragon Quest IX in the mail last week. I got up to the point where you get access to adding new party members last night. I love how snappy the combat is in this game. I donā€™t mind willfully running into random encounters as much for experience between landmarks because I know my time is being respected. The level/experience curve seems like itā€™s going up pretty quick, but I donā€™t know how much of that is to encourage levelling up a bunch of jobsā€¦

Iā€™ve also jumped back into Destiny 2 for the season. The seasonal activity is really good this time, but Iā€™ve been finding the Beyond Light expansion to be a total snorefest.

6 Likes

been playing xanadu next. probably at the end considering how these falcom arpgs tend to go. making my character overpowered just cause i can. been enjoying this a lot, just a fantastic mood to it, and thereā€™s something about that era of falcom 3d environments that i really enjoy. back-attacks have a really satisfying impact and crowd control is real and important due to recovery on your hits.

also played through 2 maps of arcane dimensions for quake and i love the shotgun in this. the regular quake shotgun feels kinda limp and bad, but itā€™s really satisfying to blast things with this one. that hub is also really appealing, and at least one of the maps i played was quite pretty. the other one was a deliberately ugly mechanical base, with satisfying twisting and overlapping going on despite being mostly linear. like you turn a corner or fall down or climb up somewhere and realize you are back at a place you know except everything is more open now.

13 Likes

going through some ps2 roms, and holy shit they finally fixed up ridge racer v and gradius v!!!

20 Likes