Games You Played Today: 358 Threads Over 2

this one pops into my head all the time

2 Likes

Just realized the problem is it is exactly like my daily life. Neo Rude has a little toy piano with built in songs and will let one play for two seconds before slamming a different button starting a different song. One of the many ways parenthood inspires madness.

9 Likes

Infernium is really stressful

4 Likes

Idk wtf this is but it is gorgeous

you can always be a wimp like me and turn on slower enemies! i enjoyed it much more when i did that

2 Likes

I am through stage 11 or so in Bayonette 2 and have yet to suffer a “real” death (i.e. not QTE or muspelheim bonus mission ones) so I am torn over whether I’ve just gotten a lot better at this kind of game or if this game is just markedly easier than the prior one.

3 Likes

It is markedly easier but also better to play but also overall worse.

3 Likes

Bayonetta 2 is just a wayyyyyy less dynamic and interesting game than DMC5, they designed themselves into a corner

17 Likes

I really appreciate the piece placing mechanic of shougi, I think it’s one of the weaker aspects of western chess, that you can only trade a pawn for a piece if you make a touchdown. shougi just lets you put stuff wherever it’s great

4 Likes

Took me years of trying and failing at shogi in Yakuza games until I actually read the rules and realised you can do that

3 Likes

I still fail miserably at it though

the first 90 minutes of yakuza 5 were about 20 minutes of me being moved nearly to tears by sheer gentleness of tone and setting and then 70 minutes of me being absolutely dumpstered over and over by a man sitting in the middle of the street and begging me to please beat him at shogi just one time

18 Likes

Kiryu taximan really got me in the heart. 5 has so many good moods despite its bloat.

3 Likes

I finished INFERNIUM and now I have post-game sadness. Perhaps I will try new game +, one of the loading messages says that it changes a few things up a bit. i should probably have a bit of a break first though, that last challenge was a real kick in the pants

4 Likes

Instead of that I saw that the final challenge was entirely execution-based, said “nah” and youtubed the end (which was harder to find than I would think, not a lot of people played this game!)

V happy with this decision. Usually get bored of games when they stop offering new mysteries and there’s nothing for me to chew on. With Infernium that literally only happened in the last room of the game!

3 Likes

Last night, I played through Legendary Wings and U.N. Squadron with a high school friend. We also played some of Twin Eagle. I remembered how realistic the graphics looked to me as a kid in the arcade, but I’d forgotten this music that plays whenever the action speeds up:

2 Likes

After the high stress, tightly focused Infernium laser I had to do something big and lawnmowery so I played the first hour of Death Stranding. Wow this game has really got some graphics huh

3 Likes

I am playing all these old PC games on GOG and wow, I think if I’d only had a PC instead of a Nintendo when I was a young kid I would have completely bounced off of video games entirely and I would be a Senator or something

At the very least, my thoroughly modernized sensibilities are completely turned off by the UIs in a lot of these games. Syndicate, Populous, etc. I can’t be arsed to figure them out. Maybe if I had a handy paper instruction manual next to me, and it was 1995 and I had nothing else legitimately competing for my time.

18 Likes

I finished up Bayonetta 2 without dying since that prologue QTE instakill (which might be the only one in the game) so yeah it is remarkably easier than the original. Funnily enough I have a thing where I will go look up how many stages are in a game right around the time when my mind starts going “this can wrap up any time now” and that happened at almost the exact same time in Bayo 2 that it happened in the original.

Game was fine, but I think the deal is that I don’t hate Platinum games so much as I get kinda bored of them before a single one of their games finish and all of their games are so similar that I have no desire to play them beyond once or twice a decade.

BTW it may just be because they dialed the difficulty down too much but I thought the combat in nuevo God of War was markedly better than the combat in Bayo 2.

2 Likes