Games You Played Today: 358 Threads Over 2

I really like well done post-game dungeons like this since all expectations of storytelling, progression, and of reasonable challenge are thrown out of the window entirely

I’ll report my findings here since I just got through that post-game part but haven’t solved the Greater Mystery, and there’s no info on this game in english since nobody bought it. Maybe you’ll succeed where I failed.

So right before the boss there’s this very out of place hidden room behind an unmarked breakable door

Behind the door is… a Sokoban puzzle

The reward is only 2x Evian and 2x curry. Just… what’s with that room

Anyway the boss is fairly difficult as it has high range and movement + comes with the usual 6 giant spiders

And after fighting the boss you have to press a lever which makes another boss appear from nowhere (along with 8 giant spiders) you can’t leave the room!! You have to fight both bosses in a row!!!

The first boss is tough but the second is totally unhinged. I beat her by filling my entire inventory with soup and sushi that I voraciously ate while shooting her like 100 times between the eyes before she got a single chance to act

Behind the boss room there were a couple other rooms with two cryptic stone tablets that hinted at a Greater Treasure…

Needless to say I saw 0 lights, and was unceremoniously dropped to the entrance of the dungeon with no rewards

God I really want this Greater Treasure but I don’t have it in me to solve these riddles (especially since they might involve replaying the entire game??)

11 Likes

I am still early on in it, but I am finding The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories extremely endearing. It has a enigmatic style, I plan to start over sometime to capture the title card of the game and post it here for you all to see because it really felt exciting and weird when I saw it, I just have to share it. I’m not totally sure where to place it, and I don’t like this, but right now I keep thinking the tone is like a guro buffy the vampire slayer… That’s not it of course, but it’s somewhere in that direction. Strange game!

I think “Fire at Nine” is referring to the ‘Kow’ of ‘Kowloon’ on the title screen, which I heard was how you are supposed to be able to trigger the New Game + (although apparently it’s really just starting over with a preset amount of bonus points and an ally with a new special move).

The second one I assume is telling you to speedrun the dungeon to get the treasure. Does the dungeon reset when you leave, or is it basically a case of save scumming or else you’re out of luck?

Also the Natto Curry there has made me realise, that Home Ec is probably for unlocking extra recipes? I totally ignored that stat lol, I thought it maybe increased the HP recovered from food and that seemed less important than the other stats

EDIT: Also yeah, I totally expect any Greater Treasure to turn out to be a “the true treasure is inside you all along” type of deal

2 Likes

Just finished this and, hmmm, what a messy game but an intriguing one. I could see responses to this being all over the place, but for myself I’d like to think this was a really earnest mess. I was pretty moved by the story of it and thought it worked well with the gameplay. What I thought about the most while playing was how well its incoherent visual style (realism juxtaposed with abstract gamey things, things that looked like they were failing to reach the level of realism) seemed fitting of the general ‘inexpressible feeling’ that the game’s story is kind of about and trying to depict. I don’t mean a particular feeling, just that sense of something kind of difficult to express, and how incoherent it comes out when you attempt to do it. I realize I am being kind of ambiguous here, but its a game with a lot to surprise you with so I’m just being cautious.

But it’s hard to recommend…
It feels really janky and unresponsive at times. The puzzles aren’t too hard and maybe sometimes more obscure than challenging; other times I think they are challenging to think through and can be pretty novel. You might find the main mechanic distasteful: your player character has to gruesomely mame and injure herself to complete puzzles, and you may not find that spectacle to be funny or excitingly uncomfortable like I think the game wants you to. But maybe you’d enjoy that stuff, like I did. And then the plot deals with some really heavy subjects. Nothing actually unheard of in games, but I think its rare to see these things treated so explicitly. Don’t expect a deep exploration of these topics, its more of an emotional thing–or maybe it’s just a superficial thing depending how you take it. This might be a game only about THEMES to some people, which would be fair to say maybe. I think the game could be really upsetting or possibly cathartic. I recommend checking it out for yourself. This was my first Swery experience btw.

3 Likes

I just picked up one of these. I’ve been enjoying it.

Just beat the first Shantae on it. Really cute game. It does something I like where it abstracts certain spaces to help different areas feel distinct from one another.
When you go into a town it switches to this behind the shoulder view and you spin Shantae in place to look at each building.

The game is a little quirky in some places. Run and attack is mapped to the same button, so any time you want to start moving quickly you have to first stop and do the hair whip attack animation. Personally I don’t mind it too much. Being forced to move deliberately in these older games can be charming sometimes.

Burning Town unfortunately only plays once at the start of the game and never again.

2 Likes

Oh wow

Yeah I have no idea. It could also refer to the light you see after completing a quest. Maybe you have to go through the entire dungeon from the first door on without going back to the lobby or saving. The dungeon does reset after leaving
I’d probably try a bunch of different things if beating Izanami wasn’t such an ordeal

Yeah some recipe results will appear in yellow, this means that you’re getting the inferior result of the recipe (usually this means you’re wasting expensive rare ingredients like organic eggs and caviar on a mediocre result like a regular omelette) If you raise your Home Eco. stat enough, the recipe result will automatically change to the better version (like a word best omelette!!)

Home eco. is not a very useful stat unless you want to cheese bosses like I did. I guess you could get fancy meals to trade with the butterfly lady for good accessories early but the IMO best accessory (Levitate Ring, made with a Schist Disc) doesn’t need a fancy recipe

1 Like

You can only have 6 quests at one time though.
I think the first room of the dungeon had a tablet that mentioned needing to be quick or there will be no treasure, and there was an explosion sound after a few turns so I assume I was too slow. Then I backtracked to get more ammo and fell down a shaft to the final boss and died lol.

this is the main problem with every Shantae game

besides the terminal horniness

1 Like

it seems that motor toon grand prix 2 has a special game over fmv for every character, but not endings

4 Likes

finally a game tailored to my skill level

11 Likes

there are no hot takes left for assassin’s creed but im having fun and i havent played a game like this (every day for 3 or 4 hours a day) in i dont know how long

6 Likes

Pokemon Unite seems kind of fun but ultimately shallow. The game opens with a cutscene showing the most explicit and visceral pokemon-on-pokemon violence I’ve ever seen, and then the second thing the game shows you is Pikachu doing a SICK dunk into a neon basketball hoop, so on that basis it’s a 10/10.

4 Likes

haven’t been gaming much because my wife doesn’t like me to use my GPU when it’s more than 80 degrees in here but deaths door is very nice, I always felt titan souls was underrated for being so obviously derivative, it executed on its whole conceit very well without overstaying its welcome and this is self evidently about as well-scoped. good sensibilities.

also finally played lone echo (VR) since oculus put it on fire sale in anticipation of the sequel and I’d already been playing the multiplayer arena mode for years (the first and only thing I used the ReVive shim for), it is pretty thrilling and not overly canned the way I’d feared.

also tried some dirt 5 with my fanatec wheel b/c it’s on game pass even though everyone says dirt 4 is better and dirt 4 costs like $4 now. dirt 4 is better, this feels distinctly post-horizon in a way that codemasters hasn’t really got the hang of yet.

also want to restate that flight simulator no longer runs like shit on 4 cores and that’s very nice. the package manager is still a little insulting though.

6 Likes

Man, this game gets way more involved than where I left off (around chapter 4-5 I think?). The heavily puzzle/secret focused design is cool but kind of way too intimidating to play when the only really good guide I’ve found for the game was a Japanese wiki(?).

1 Like

Knuckles Chaotix truly is the Thinking Man’s Sonic.

8 Likes

Yeah and the jp guide doesn’t even cover the last chapters!
I’ve found that, aside for the aftergame part, the puzzles and secrets got easier to habdle as the game went on because I relied more heavily on H.A.N.T.
Analyzing puzzle items gives a ton of info, and H.A.N.T outright tells you when there’s a secret room nearby if you level up… history?

I’ve made a lap through the post game then beat the last boss and shot Kow on the title screen but nothing happened. Maybe you need to find the Great Treasure first

1 Like

Midway through the aftergame dungeon I got sent the last issue of the digital treasure hunter magazine, and the author explicitly says inside that the true treasure is the friends we made along the way

I’m not sure if this is foreshadowing for the Great Treasure or if this means that the Great Treasure is actually something different and potentially much cooler

1 Like

Did a little more Death Stranding just now
I’m mostly wasting time exploring and grabbing abandoned crates but this game seems like it’s going to be really good?

13 Likes

i understand her

7 Likes

I got Blaster Master Zero 3 the other day and got the Bad Ending (judging by the lack of a credits roll and (more crucially) the tepid-for-a-final-boss music). I haven’t been able to figure out how the trigger the good ending, even after looking it up. The best answer I could find is “do [thing] during [event] after some currently unknown condition has been met” — however, the trigger to [do the thing] hasn’t appeared for me, and as far as I can tell I’ve collected every permanent upgrade in every area, so heaven knows what the unknown condition is (alternatively, I could be really dumb (please tell me it’s not a speedrun)).

Anyhow, with all of that said, as much as the stories of these games are a wash (the Lore is the main appeal for me), I actually rather liked the Bad Ending. Coping with a messy break-up felt more poignant than I was expecting from a series that rehashed the save-the-girl plot point three games in a row. (At this point I don’t expect the Good Ending to actually be good — I’m just going for it for completeness’ sake tbqh.)

Anyhow, enough about the plot — let’s talk about the Lore.

Blaster Master Zero 1 was essentially a remake of the NES Blaster Master (starring Jason Frudnik). BMZ3 makes it clear that the Famicom Meta Fight (starring Kane Gardner and Jennifer Cornet) is also canon in this universe, taking place 10 years prior to BMZ1. While Jason refers to the mutant lord from that game as the Mutant Lord (or whatever idk), Kane uses its Japanese name Goez, thereby solidifying the fact that no prior Blaster Master canon can escape the grasp of this series.

You end up meeting both Kane and Jennifer (on separate occasions), and they are happily married by this point and are both very chill with your adventuring despite the fact that they work for the government of Planet Sophia and you are currently wanted by said government (for dumb reasons). (Their tenure must be very strong if they’re not worried about abetting the efforts of a wanted terrorist.) Anyhow anyhow, I noticed a neat detail in Jennifer’s lab that you visit:

(please ignore Edgelord von Calculus for interrupting this conversation (I love him))

zoom

kane and jennifer

enhance

Blaster3JP

lovely

As for how the game plays: it’s fine (imo). If you played other two BMZ games you’ll generally know what to expect, but the overhead mechanics have seen some iteration. In particular, instead of having one gun that acts as 8 different guns depending on your level, you now have 5 guns that share a level. It’s neat, but I’m not sure if I like it! Previously, you could fall back on some of the more effective low level guns if you got hit, but now you don’t really have that failsafe anymore. I almost think I would have preferred if they went full-Cave Story and had the gun levels be separate.

A weird thing that the game does structurally is that it has a bunch of optional dungeons that are Sophia military bases (filled with robots, don’t worry). The game offers you two choices for these dungeons: you can either do the Light World versions, which are short but entail dealing with incredibly annoying military robots; alternatively, you can do the Dark World versions, which are generally easier but far larger (and have a soft time limit). Early on I did the dark world versions, but as I gained equipment I gained the confidence to do the light world versions more. Overall, it’s an exceptionally weird take on the Light/Dark world concept (oh btw this game has a light/dark world mechanic).

Oh, also, the game regrettably maintains BMZ2’s increased level of horniness.

I’m not sure how this trilogy fits in with selectbutton’s tastes these days (it certainly lacks the mystery of the original), but I’m glad Inti Creates got to make these games.

12 Likes