Games You Played Today: 358 Threads Over 2

I’m at a point in DQ11 where even the MC is on auto

2 Likes

chris… please… I’ve got some colt navy revolver with 4 rounds. your guys all have quad tube nvgs and rifles, can you spare some equipment, anything.

13 Likes

give me a hand here

6 Likes

slightly late on the ps2 chat… it’s an interesting system because in terms of raw numbers it has maybe the most games i love on it of any console, but many of them are sequels with incremental systemic development and increased ambition (like mgs2) or iterations on older design premises and lines of development (nocturne, ico being literally a remake of an unfinished psx game, etc.). in a lot of ways late psx games like vagrant story are more innovative than almost anything on the ps2, and the most “characteristic” big ps2 games are rarely among the best in its library, which maybe explains why it weakened later in its lifespan even though it was the most popular console in the world, vs. the psx which just got better and better until the end.

13 Likes

Counterpoint:

4 Likes

i’m personally not a huge fan of SC, but by big i meant like AAA. obviously there are many excellent deeply ps2-y mid-budget games, it just didn’t necessarily scale far beyond that in practice (for the most part and possibly more for industrial than creative reasons, idk if the narrative of miyazaki reinvigorating design through a retro-influenced break from ps2 conventions is really accurate either)

4 Likes

PS2 is that period of the mid to late 90s when the summer blockbuster was starting to become a thing that people have fond memories of because they either don’t remember how boring those movies were or just weren’t around at the time and allowed external sources to create false nostalgia. PS3/360 is that period in the mid-to-late 2000s when all we got were summer blockbusters, knock-offs of summer blockbusters, and remakes, and that also kind of leaks into the PS4.

6 Likes

Oh and now the F2P metaverse bullshit is the MCU! Elegant

1 Like

Wait huh?

Fortnite and crossover mobile games eating up the big budget market in lieu of what previously would have been the “summer blockbuster” games

5 Likes

yeah i think primarily people love the PS2 these days for all the mid-budget slightly weirder stuff and the horror games. a handful of the big budget games are still ones that people talk about i.e. MGS 2+3 and RE4 (not originally a ps2 game obvs but i played it on there). and maybe those Jak/Ratchet and Clank games i never personally got the appeal of. a lot less people are trying to make an argument for the original God of War games (which i remember being huge at the time) or whatever. or… like Primal or something like that. a lot of forgettable 3rd person action and FPS games (not including Timesplitters obvs) that got quickly papered over by all the stuff the generation after that. also a lot of JRPGs people remember a lot less fondly than they do with PS1/SNES ones.

i guess the main thing is that the PS2 is it felt like the first time where people in the West were really embracing the semi-experimental, very Japanese stuff coming out in the US. that stuff existed on the PS1 but it was still sort of a novelty then. the PS2 was kind of the “coming out” party for it. but then that kind of went away abruptly and the PS2 ended up being really a transition period from the late 90’s anything goes of early 3D to the late 00’s bloat and scope. also the PS2 visual aesthetic is generally much kind of blander and less distinctive than earlier low-poly 3D stuff and later more hyper-detailed stuff. which is i think why the horror games tend to stand out above the pack from a lot of the other PS2 games… because they have a more defined aesthetic to them.

and ofc things are different now because so much shit is thrown out there on PC or cross-platform. but there was kinda something cool and novel about the floodgates being opened for the PS2 due to its popularity in a way that stuff hadn’t been really before. there wasn’t a console like that before… it could play dvds after all! it mostly just encompasses so many different things that it’s easy to focus on the good and weird stuff and ignore all the bad stuff.

11 Likes

good riddance honestly

2 Likes

re: Pokemon Unite – 7 game winstreak in ranked on support! This video game designed to trick children into spending their parents’ money sure is giving me a lot of dopamine!

8 Likes

i played covergirl for psp last week thank you @HOBO for telling me about covergirl the magazine the game for psp

i’m just gonna blur every screenshot with booba in it in case you don’t want to see that

i dont think i need to blur this one? because it’s just an egg in a bikini bottom but i will anyways

i’m going to put the rest of the screenshots in little drop down thingies so the post isn’t huge

sex-o-meter quiz

i am being called out :frowning:

a story told in two screenshots

i think the obvious joke to make about this one is something like “are you sure it doesn’t count :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:” but i don’t want people to get the idea that i’m horny for shoes

this was my result when i answered the questions honestly… i am once again being called out

compatibility test

i’m still so confused by this picture… what the fuck is the green thing he’s holding?? ?

no comment

the first time i took the test i measured my compatibility with noctis lucis caelum from final fantasy fifteen aka my boyfriend and needless to say i was disappointed by the result

when it came up again i measured my compatibility with thancred from final fantasy fourteen aka my actual real boyfriend and the result devastated me… :crying_cat_face:

and then i realized the problem was that i was using my actual real name and not my final fantasy fourteen name, so when the test came up again i measured my compatibility with ser aymeric aka my actual real for real this time boyfriend and i will take the result all the way to sanctum of the fucking twelve because ladies i am getting MARRIED

miscellaneous

going clockwise, the paintings on the left are details from botticelli’s the birth of venus (c. 1484-1486), vermeer’s girl with a pearl earring (c. 1665), jean-auguste-dominique ingres’ the grande baigneuse (c. 1808), and egon schiele’s seated woman with bent knee (c. 1917)

isn’t this like a double negative? i think @lonelyfrontier was the one who pointed that out while i was streaming this

:nauseated_face:

THANK YOU emily so true bestie

so true megan very relatable

this is the worst game i’ve played that i’ve had the most fun playing, it’s weird and confusing and pretty awful but i’m probably close to being the exact person who needed to know about it thank you again @HOBO

32 Likes

13 Likes

I really liked this video game a lot. it’s been a minute since I finished a jrpg! seeing this screen made me feel very warm, sort of like being thanked by a cook for enjoying your dinner. it was a very straightforward and unpretentious and ridiculously pretty time. I’m very happy I stuck with it even as it began to wear me out in the final hours. bofiv has a lot of heart :black_heart:

I’m struggling to find the word I want for this feeling: I didn’t do a lot of the side stuff, and I only saw one of the endings, but finishing this game as it is left me feeling very full and satisfied and ready to put it down. it’s nice not to be guilted by a software into playing it more after it tells you it’s over

go figure, the pretty girl who told me to play it…was me

24 Likes

cover girl is definitive proof that the psp was unfairly maligned and died an early, undeserved death. this is the exact kind of weird, superfluous bull shit that gaming needs.

8 Likes

Alot of this also bled over to it’s last years where it was still selling games after the PS3 launched. So many key games where still coming out (Persona 4 etc.) and alot of quirky left overs that would naturally be ignored on the new console.

Felt like it repeated again on PS3 where it felt like it was finally starting to get an interesting wave of games then PS4 happened.

1 Like

Been struggling to find the motivation to play anything recently, but I’m really excited for Final Fantasy III Pixel Remaster to come out tomorrow. I’m gonna stay in bed all day and play it and it’s gonna be great for recovering from covid arm 2.0

6 Likes

flight simulator performance patch is good

1 Like