Games to listen to music to!

I love music more than I love video games, but I can’t just sit in a room and stare at the wall and listen to an album. My fingers need to be doing something! Over the years I’ve moved from game to game to fulfill this purpose. The point is the music, but the game occupies the rest of my brain so I can really enjoy the music.

A perfect game for listening to music needs to have the following qualities:

• Completely mute-able: I should be able to play the game just as competently and get just as much enjoyment out of it without any of its sound or music.

• Precision Neuro-Excitement: The game should completely use up the portions of my brain that are not focused on the music while never touching the portions of my brain dedicated to the music. If a puzzle game requires too much attention and heavy logic then my brain can’t pay attention to the music. If a game has heavy narrative or a lot of reading involved, that can make this more difficult too

• Extreme replayability: I should be able to put this game on and fuck around in it many, many times without it getting too old. Cuz I have a lot of music I need to catch up on! Puzzle games and rogue-lites tend to work really well for this.

• The Fun Factor: Give me fun or give me death. Even a game I’m only partially paying attention to needs to be a good time!

GAMES TO BUST YOUR EARDRUMS TO:
These are the best ones I’ve found.

• Spelunky

• Picross

• Sudoku

• FTL (there are a lot of text boxes, but once you play enough you come to know what they are without really having to read them)

• Risk of Rain (though this game is honestly kind of bad, and levels are way too long, it’s great for zoning out to)

• Hearthstone

• Surviv.io

• Minesweeper

• Eufloria

• Binding of Isaac (even though the game’s look and feel is ugly as hell and NOT chill)

• Picross 3D

• Warning Forever and other procedurally generated shmups like this

• Dead Cells

• DOTA (though sometimes too distracting and also emotionally damaging)

What are your OFFICIAL games to listen to music to?

4 Likes

It doesn’t fit any of your criteria, but I got really familiar with Quake 1’s CD player console commands, and a lot of albums from that era (very early 2000s, I was a Q1 late bloomer) are linked long nights of playing deathmatch. It’s probably the very reason I love that Locust remix album more than any of their actual releases–those short songs looping don’t work as well.

3 Likes

Tetris!

I used to just spend hours on Tetris Friends listening to tunes and sucking at tetris

6 Likes

Digimon Story games. They’re grindy and brainless, perfect to chill to

2 Likes

That reminds me that when I played Persona 4 I used to mute the interminably long dungeons and listen to cool tunez. That worked OK but didn’t really exercise as much of my non-musical brain as I wanted it to. It was low-cognition enough that podcast listening felt like a better fit.

I mean I think about any puzzle game would work here. I used to slap down the music and leave the SFX and do my own music during things like overwatch or fighting games which was fun.

Clustertruck whose sound FX don’t really interfere with my enjoyment of music and whose sound track I have no idea what it sounds like because I immediately substituted my own. But you could mute the FX and probably be just fine.

1 Like

I’ve just started getting into Slay the Spire and can’t recommend it enough. I’m actually worried about how into it I’ve become. I’ve stayed up til 3am two nights in a row playing. Last night I had fever dreams of applying buffs and debuffs and playing cards… It’s a deck-building run-based card game and I’ve been enjoying playing it while listening to podcasts.

3 Likes

the last couple of nights i’ve played destiny 2 to either an episode of street fight or a detroit techno spotify playlist

good times

5 Likes

Phantasy Star online

1 Like

yeah the chiller destiny activities are good for this

also slow jrpgs that just have one battle theme or whatever

The bgm in PSO ruled, but I definitely ground stuff with other stuff in the background

I mean any kind of grind basically screams for other accompaniments

Spent an entire audiobook* killing the Phalanx in Painted World over and over to amass a soul pool to embarrass creation itself

*Caitlin Moran’s How to Be a Woman

2 Likes

some of my most treasured memories of listening to music were while i was playing doom. i’ll always associate early flaming lips with playthroughs of the old doom games.

5 Likes

The problem of this game being on the list is that I will just never paly it not co-op, so listening to music doing it is not great.

how could you??

1 Like

Minecraft is my “play while i do other things” game, including listening to music. Even though the soundtrack rules.

1 Like

Souls games reward listening to the audio way more than they get credit for, but once you get the gist of each level, they become amazing music/podcast listening games. The lack of music in the stages mean you can listen to your thing on speakers, while still hearing all the grunts and wails and footsteps without any cross-pollution. You don’t have to rely on sound cues when you know where the ambushes and traps are. And then you can just mute the sound for boss fights because the boss fight music has been rubbish since at least Dark Souls 1 anyway

1 Like

I mean there’s an extent to which this can be any game, as long as you know it well enough.

Lawnmower sims are perfect for this, right? Everyone gets bored of the radio stations eventually

1 Like

fucking

skate.

(2)

6 Likes

This was my go to jam on repeat for Q1 deathmatch. I wish there were still public random heavily active servers out there.

3 Likes