game gear micro speculation thread

I was gonna guess GG Aleste 2, but it looks like the time for speculation is over.

I only played a bit of Aleste 2 but remember it being really good and made me think about how playable an 8-bit portable shmup could be.

Seeing what this turned out to be makes me want a GB micro just for the form factor even though the other GBAs can play more games out of the box.

Are all these RPGs going to be playable with all the tiny on screen text?

Alright then, so the actual games then are:

GG Black:

• Sonic 1 (8-bit)
  • Puyo Puyo Tsu
  • Outrun
  • Royal Stone (the JP-only sequel to Crystal Warriors)

GG Blue:

• Sonic Chaos
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Sylvan Tale
  • Baku Baku Animal

GG Yellow:

• Shining Force Gaiden
  • Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya
  • Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict
  • Nazo Puyo Arle no Roux (Puyo Puyo RPG?)

GG Red:

• Last Bible
  • Last Bible Special
  • The G.G. Shinobi
  • Columns

Not a single variant has 4 games that were all released in English.

I learnt a while back that LCD screens are made in basically huge sheets which is then cut up into smaller shapes for other manufacturers to use which is probably the reason for the size since that’s just the DPI that’s getting produced these days if you want a 160 × 144 resolution (the Game Gear had non-square pixels?).

1 Like

someone pointed out to me on youtube that these things are meant to be more along the lines of those semi-decorative mini arcade cabinets, rather than proper mini consoles. still disappointing, though.

unfortunately, unless it’s broadcast in a specific standard that only took off in south korea, digital tv doesn’t really work without a good stationary aerial. though still having analogue tv broadcasts in 2020 does seem kind of like the kind of ludicrous anachronistic thing that might happen in japan.

I’m surprised Tails’ Adventure isn’t in here somewhere, that’s the only Game Gear game I’ve wanted to play for more than a few minutes.

I’ve already got a GB Micro and Sonic Genesis, sorry Sega, sorry everyone.

Sylvan Tale is like the one great Game Gear game and I’m obly saying that because I played it for 5 minutes thought it seemed really cool and it has been on to play since insert credit days.

Yeah gimme that yellow one.

if you have Sonic Genesis, you don’t have to apologize to me

3 Likes

Were there colored models of the original Game Gear? I only ever saw the black one here.

Yeah, all of these are Game Gear models that existed in Japan

1 Like

https://segaretro.org/Game_Gear_consoles_in_Japan

COKE/RAYEARTH RED

2 Likes

there were also anime tie-in ones

3 Likes

how the hell do they expect me to find the start button on the VF Animation GG if there’s no bump on it

disgusting

magical

5 Likes

Yeah I was only joking about the TV tuner, but it’s one of the only features that really stood out to me as a kid. Like, I can watch TV on my portable games machine?? Truly magical times they were

Anyway, I ended up with an Atari Lynx instead

2 Likes

how did I miss this post

fuckin’ hot jams in the house

This is dumb but also Sega’s CEO wants the company to get back to their bizarre and innovative days so I’ll take it. Also their new cloud streaming tech for arcades that will hopefully keep arcades going through the pendemic and let you play Japanese arcade games from wherever you are (with horrible lag ofc)

arcade streaming should be a super high-resolution camera pointed at the CRT with a smaller PIP-camera pointing at the control panel which has robot hands that physically manipulate the sticks and buttons

put the whole contraption on a wheely cart that can be controlled by the user and auto-dock into any cabinet with parallel parking sensor tech from expensive cars

6 Likes

The other thing to note is that Sega has a terrible track record for rolling out arcade infrastructure, we’re still waiting on shit they announced six years ago and keep saying is going to happen, so I have no confidence this will even come out before arcades are wiped out (I thought this was the news thread whoops)

3 Likes