game center cx

i was going through and posting screencaps from my favorite episodes in the discord and thought i might as well drop them off here, i’ve made lazier topics

#legacy of the wizard
AD nakayama realizes how impossible it would be for arino to beat the game without a walkthrough and starts drawing a homemade guide with a sketchbook and a bunch of magic markers and it’s the best thing ever:

early on in the episode, arino screws up and falls into a pit, and nakayama steps back in to advise him:

#umihara kawase
near the beginning of the episode:

then, surprising no one, arino dies a lot. about halfway through:

eventually arino reaches the credits (which in umihara kawase isn’t quite the same as winning, but is probably close enough)

this show is good for the soul.

i might come back and post more later if i remember which season had the segment where arino played an inscrutable chinese shovelware rpg while calling up viewers who mailed in their phone numbers for guidance. his two main sources ended up being a shy elementary schooler and a college stoner who mostly just fucks with him and they’re both amazing

20 Likes

everyone here’s probably seen this already but i’ll post it here too for the sake of completeness:

8 Likes

I like the umihara kawase one. I watched it with my best friend. we no longer really speak. might just play umihara ds this evening and cry a little

:c

give it your best, chief

2 Likes

I like video games a normal amount.

Paris-Dakar Rally Special is a good ep because that fuckin’ game

Also,

5 Likes

You weren’t kidding! What a game.

1 Like

Where do y’all source these from? Last I checked ol’ YT kills any uploads of it pretty quickly.

I wanted to get into Arino’s adventures, but when I had a listing it turned out to be so many I wasn’t sure where to spend my time. Started looking for games I was most interested in or recommended episodes but got distracted and…yeah.

Legacy of the Wizard got paired with Milon’s Secret Castle as really explorative and intimidating games I saw at a neighbors house ~ 6 or 7 years old. Never really played 'em. Maybe now is the time.

I found a working torrent for season 8 in this site. I haven’t looked but perhaps there are more working files in there.

I also found the paris-dakar episode in dailymotion and youtube, but it had the audio distorted and desynced to fool the copyright filters, and I can’t stand watching it that way.

1 Like

http://www.gamingcx.com/ has most episodes without any distortion, though it uses shady video embeds that sometimes open popups or don’t work properly. It’s still the best source I’ve found. I wish this show were easier to get a hold of!

My favorite episode is Jogging Race, where Arino challenges an NES game that uses a running footpad controller. They treat it like a huge physical challenge, and he ends up running an intense relay Jogging Race with various ADs.

i just torrent the episodes from nyaa

use http://www.sa-gccx.com

I’m still fucking salty about the Ninja Spirit episode, wherein Arino gets through the bullshit final room gauntlet fall in like, 5 tries by sheer dumb luck

The crew is absolutely flabbergasted when he does it so quickly and the AD thought it would take him forever and they end up finishing super early and go see whatever the newest Harry Potter movie that just came out in Japan with all the time they saved

4 Likes

Favourite Arino bit will always be the Cannes episode where he solemnly gives a small plastic action figure of himself to a bewildered looking french game store owner.

The Go By Train episode is very good as well!! There was also some bizarrely labyrinthian NES shooter about travelling through time that I really enjoyed.

Is that the one where they play Densha de Go and eat those really tasty looking bento meals from different train stations?

In any case, that one is really fun as well.

EDIT: Of course, “Go By Train” is how they translated Densha de Go, so it’s indeed the same episode.

I also liked the “search for the northernmost game center” one

From my screenshots:

My absolute favorite screenshot that I keep losing track of is the final screen of the Takeshi no Chousenjo episode where they overlay the game’s final quote over Arino’s reflecting body, with the faint image of Beat Takeshi’s face overlaid on top

1 Like

FOUND IT

Also:

4 Likes

i forgot i made this thread lol

1 Like

I really should watch this at some stage