game center cx

I am going to try and go to the live show.

3 Likes

Yoooo Arino’s doing some kinda Minecraft thing for Nintendo:

2 Likes

That’s a couple of years old but it’s a lot of fun! I’ve never played Minecraft but (maybe partially because) really enjoyed it. Season 1 is better since they don’t know what they’re doing but I enjoyed every ep I saw.

1 Like

Paris-Dakar Rally Special is my favorite episode. It has basically everything in it. What a videogame.

here’s a sequence of gifs I made a long time ago of one of my favorite GCCX moments (spoilers for the video game Actraiser™)

7 Likes

i like the trip episodes, there’s a good one where they go to california and end up just killing time at a random out-of-the-way laundromat that just happens to have an old metal slug machine or something. the true videogames experience!

17 Likes

9 Likes

delighted that the ad break interludes for the episode where he goes to russia are tatu’s “all the things she said” over footage of arino running joyfully around red square etc. other highlights include playing a dendy (politely described as “the russian equivalent of the famicom”), riding a segway, and experiencing a theme park attraction that consists entirely of “wearing a vr headset of a rollercoaster ride while a powerful looking teenager manually jerks your upper body around in time with the track and a burly man looks on derisively”. power of new media.

7 Likes

I liked this one, it made me feel less alone.

7 Likes

Arino is the original pro gamer

For me the interesting thing about Arino is that not a single twitch/youtube personality has imitated his shtick of being relatably bad at games. Instead, they’re all conspicuously much more skilled than me (even if humble about it)

Makes me wonder whether Game Center CX’s premise was a dead end, whether the key is in the TV editing to avoid the annoyance of watching him fail for hours at a thing the viewer knows how to do, or whether this shows there is a golden opportunity waiting for a particular type of paradoxical twitch streamer

2 Likes

It’s a weird line since sometimes even this show crosses it for me - there’s an Ocarina Of Time episode where most of it is spent dying to Oingo Boingo or whatever that one boss’s name is which was truly gruelling to watch.

I can definitely get stressed watching let’s play people do badly at games but in addition to all the things the show does to mitigate this (editing, the commentator keeping things at a remove, the promise the staff will step in if things start going really badly etc) I wonder if part of it is just that 3d games tend to be more boring to fail at. So much of the moment to moment experience / charge of them is just minor fussy adjustments to camera and player positioning in ways that seem invisible when done right but frustrating and boring if done badly, and their pacing becomes more slack to accommodate this too.

8 Likes

GameCenter CX S04 25 - Quiz the Feudal Lord's Ambition  SA-GCCX-0001

GameCenter CX S04 25 - Quiz the Feudal Lord's Ambition  SA-GCCX-0003

…I knew the answer to this one

bachelor

6 Likes

the battle golfer yui episode is so good… as much as people talk about using sophisticated AI to build player connection, i don’t think i’ve related as heavily to any computer controlled characters as i do with these supposedly all-powerful evil golf androids who will just immediately launch their ball into a water trap and then forfeit the match

7 Likes

Thinking about when questlove said he kept every episode of soul train on a hard drive on his person at all times & me wanting to do the same for gccx

6 Likes