galerians

i want u to parse this video

this is from a movie based on the “galerians” series of video games. there was a whole ass movie based on “galerians” by polygon magic on the playstation

this movie was localized for the u.s. and given a soundtrack featuring slipknot and a lot of other nu-metal groups. it was aired on MTV, apparently after a 24 hour beavis and butthead marathon one time if an ebay review i found is telling me right.

these anime fans seem to be mad at it for some reason

a major mechanic in the galerians games is “addiction points”

mommy and god

i have not played galerians yet and i probably won’t… unless its galerians: ash the ps2 sequel to galerians rion the movie which is a sequel to galerians??

7 Likes

“birdman died laughing, rainheart died scared, rita died unintelligible to my brain. we were all kids pushed to do drugs by society. it makes me sick. im gonna go talk to my mother god in the mushroom tower” that was some shit i heard in the movie i swear… this is such a strange film someone please say something, anyone

galerians is seeming like the kind of thing you get into right before you go missing

14 Likes

oh fuck galerians sounds like a sitcom about a group of friends that run a gallery space together

re: galerians ash gameplay part 1 on youtube

1 Like

this person felt alone, they felt no connection to anything, and there were only a few people around and all they said was how much the world sucks

3 Likes

the writer of galerians, chinfa kang, also wrote all of these songs

and a movie about time travelling vampire hunters called 19?

this fanart helped me on a spiritual level. right now im feeling like henry darger’s landlord a little bit. and henry darger

3 Likes

“Terrible Lie” sampled in the first area/battle music really nailed down the psycho-animu experience, some fever dream-ish afternoon early PS2 era. Think it’s one of the first games I backwards compatibled.

1 Like

I never heard about galerians until the Ash on the PS2. I saw the movie I think on tech TV or I managed to catch a late night showing of it on MTV2. I recorded it and watched it a lot. The story is all kinds of silly but somehow got it’s hooks in me. It channeled Akira a lot and not sure if any other game has managed to do it as blatantly as Galerians but still feel like its own thing.

1 Like

Isn’t this where “I have taken it upon my avtglvjjx” comes from

1 Like

I got Galerians because it came out right at the ass-end of my interest in survival horror but during my active interest in J-RPGs and anime. It seemed perfect – a goofy, edgy (you take DRUGS!) survival horror game with an “anime” aesthetic. I didn’t care much for it at all at the time – I wound up, regrettably, using its multiple discs as coasters (same fate as Koudelka) – but I’ve always meant to go back and attempt to play it again. I remember me and my uncle attempting to play it, and getting bored and spending a bunch of time making Rion do his goofy animations, because he kind of does this stupid squat when he uses his psychic powers.

Everything I’ve heard of other people playing it has seemed to echo what my feelings were when I first played it as a kid. I’ve never touched ASH, but I’ve meant to, since like, it came out (it’s probably not worth it).

Anyway, I’m glad some people got their jimmies rustled over some goofy nu-metal soundtrack (jesus christ, 14 years ago). That more than justifies Galerians’ existence. I’m definitely going to try to check that movie out.

1 Like

Also: Yo. I’m going to watch the Galerians movie after 4 hours of Beavis and Butt-head.

2 Likes

i tried replaying galerians a couple of years ago, and here’s what i thought of it then.

another weird quirk of glaerians is that it’s a survival horror game with stages, each stage playing like a mini-survival horror game itself. like you run around the prerendered static camera hospital avoiding enemies and finding keys and stuff, then you go and do it in a mansion, then a hotel, and a couple of other places i can’t remember

1 Like

hey motherfuckers guess who has a story about this damn ass 2 hour long playstation 2 cg graphic cutscene of a movie: it’s me

1 Like

do tell pls

every sound in galerians ash is either drowned in music that is better than aphex twin or tons and tons of reverbbbbbb its so fuckin goodddddd

1 Like

if youve been following my posts there’s a distinct trend of a childhood/adolescence that was shaped by videogames i couldn’t play as much as the ones i finally got to.

when i was a child the local grocery store had, in the entirety of the time it was open, maybe only ever held Playstation Magazine like four times: i distinctively remember getting a Nightmare Creatures 2 /Tyrush Deppy / Rakugaki Showtime issue that i read so much it actually fell apart.

Gallerians was the featured walkthrough and at the time i had been so terrified of resident evil and enthralled by it that the idea of this aesthetically survival horror rpg (i was familiar with parasite eve!) really got my idiot kid brain

flash forward into the early DVR eras of television watching and lo did i see Gallerians as a solid block of time late one night. it was at a period of time when i could still watch a lot of stuff with my sibling and my parents so of course i made them record it

what a fuckin experience that was, trying to explain to my confused family why we had to be watching this. i think my dad liked it: he loved weird sci fi art and ghost in the shell and gallerians is at least one of those

i watched it a few times on tv, and g4 ran it once too

5 Likes

Making heads pop and dudes combust eventually got old, but like you mentioned, the whole raw (though goofy) spectacle was pretty entertaining to start with. That the ost and as Loki mentioned the mansion are pretty much all I can recall. Pretty sure I finished it and was curious about Ash but not enough to experiment the purchase, and a copy never circulated through the Gamestop I worked at. I’ll probably sift through it at some point.

Rion sounds like solid Viewing Club material???

okay so the movie version was apparently made by enterbrain, huh

the original is a resident evil clone that’s a resident evil clone because that style was the best way to do cool cinematic CGI shit in 90s, and it’s pretty noticeable right away that it’s really a visual / CG animation studio doing a video game.

i like it.

also i think it’s possible to permanently screw yourself over in the game because you need to keep popping pills to function but the pills are limited, and while shorting kills all enemies in the earlier game, it does nothing to creatures later so if you get permanently shorted with no delmeter it’s over.